PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Chevy S10 abs light is on.

hogmuffin
01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
The ABS light is on in my old 96 chevy s10. I know there is a way you can jump pins on the diagnostic connector and read the blink pattern of the light. does anyone know which pins i have to jump? Not having any luck with google searches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

shovelryder
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
The ABS light is on in my old 96 chevy s10. I know there is a way you can jump pins on the diagnostic connector and read the blink pattern of the light. does anyone know which pins i have to jump? Not having any luck with google searches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Not sure of the pinout....But.....Check yer brake fluid level,and check yer wheel sensors and the wiring that goes to them.Is that 4 whl abs or just rear? If its 4 whl chech wheel bearings in front to. Disconnect batt fer a while and see if it throws right away again.

Mosh
01-06-2013, 06:09 PM
The ABS light is on in my old 96 chevy s10. I know there is a way you can jump pins on the diagnostic connector and read the blink pattern of the light. does anyone know which pins i have to jump? Not having any luck with google searches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you have a true 96, or newer year, you cannot do that anymore. They did away with that pin jumping when they went to the OBD2 dash connector. It has to be scanned with a OB2 scanner.

86T3
01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
If you take it to autozone or advanced they'll scan it free of charge. I dont knowif brake problems show up on that scan but its worth a shot for free

briano
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM
It is going to be a front wheel bearing going bad, the wheel speed sensor is in the bearing assembly. When there gets to be a little rust or play in the bearing the sensor can't get a good reading or it shorts out. If you have it scanned it should tell you which wheel speed sensor is the problem. If the bearing is not making noise or loose, the only thing you're going to have happen is the antilock brakes don't work. You still have brakes just not antilock.

I absolutely hate anti lock brakes, I unplug the ABS module on my vehicles. Having it work is not always the best or safest. I have had more vehicles without ABS so I really hate having it.

just ben
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
The wires tend to corrode and break right at the sensor also. If you have air in the lines it will throw the light on but usually the brake light will come on also. if the brakes still work fine and you just want the light off pull the abs fuse