PDA

View Full Version : timing issue?

3wheelerjoe
01-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Hey all! I recently purchased a 85 350x and have been building g it up ever since ( about a month or so). It did not run when I got it and the culprit was a bent / broken exhaust valve. I got the cylinder bored and put in a new high comp wesco piston and new valves. There were other things wrong with it like dirty carb and oil leaks that i fixed as well. I finally got the engine put back toghter and in the frame. When i was trying to set the timing on it ( with the motor on my work bench) i did it by the book but i could never get the "T" mark to line up exactly. The notch on the case would always be just below the mark for TDC. Also i could never get the marks on the cam sproket to exa tly line up with the flat surface of the head. One side would always b a little higher than the other. I figured it just had to be that way after hours of trying to adjust it. So i got everything back togehter and finally got it started. The problems are ............ its hard to start, seems like i have to kick it a lot to finally get it to star.2nd it has a pretty loud ticking noise that sounds like it comming from the top end. I adjusted the valves per the manual. 3rd when it is running it lacks power and if i try to get on it a little bit it starts cutting out. Im thinking its got something to do with the timing. I want to get a new cam chain and tensioner to see if that helps but i thought id check with all yall before i spent the money for it. This is the first 3 wheeler ive owned and i freegin love it( even though i only rode it like 5 minutes maybe 2 times) it still looks good in the gerage. Thanks for your help in advance!

dustrunner
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
i got rid of my x and dont have the books but check to see if it'the f or t on it... i didnt have any problems getting my marks lined up so ? and a carb thats not 100 % will cause hard starting as well as timing... but they will start in a few kicks... hope this helps.... it's been a while...

3wheelerjoe
01-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Hey thanks, i know it could use a new timing chain and tensioner so im gonna go ahead and do that. Ill look into the carb thing and probably rebuild it. Thanks agian for the input!

Rickard666
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
I find you have to kick it at the right spot of the stroke to get it to start. As for the unusual noise mine had a similar noise after my rebuild. It sounded kinda like the cam chain binding. What I did, I took the cam chain tensioner out it was all seized up I put it on a piece of wood and tal it with a rubber mallet to work it in and out with some oil. Put it back in fired it up and the noise was gone. Hope this helps.