PDA

View Full Version : If They Re-Introduced 3 Wheelers...

1982-Honda-185S
01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Would you Buy one?
What Size motor would you like to see them come with?
What Options/Accessories would you think they would have?
What Options/Accessories would you like to see on them?
And what would they look like?

For me, I would defiantly buy one in a heart beat!

Id like to see the motor sizes range from a little 125cc all the way to a 500cc or maybe more?!?!

As for Options and Accessories, a front mounted which ( which probably wouldn't work without pulling the snot out of the forks), LED or even HID Headlight/Taillights, Skid plate for the bottom and maybe a front plate for keeping the front of the motor clean from mud or snow if you dont run a front fender, Full Suspension systems, You can get them with or without them.

The new look of them is hard to imagine for me, I know they'd be made out of all plastic, But there cannot be much room to improve the looks at all in my opinion.

Feel free to add any more questions or ideas you would have to this!!!

CodyRosa
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Honestly if they made them again and they just looked like the 250r or Tri z I would buy it. 500CC would be awesome! I personally think they look awesome as is. Love the 250r front fender, gas tank, and the Tri Z rear fender.

1982-Honda-185S
01-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Honestly if they made them again and they just looked like the 250r or Tri z I would buy it. 500CC would be awesome! I personally think they look awesome as is. Love the 250r front fender, gas tank, and the Tri Z rear fender.

Good point on the styling. If anyone on the fourms has any Artistic ability at all, maybe a Concept drawing?? i would have soooooooo much fun with a 3 wheeler with a 500cc power plant on it hahaha!

3Queen
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Would love to see a big utility trike with independent rear suspension and fuel injection. 750cc+ Something like a Brute Force or something,lol. Gotta come in pink too!!!lol!

manbearpig
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Www.tpctrikes.com

If they re-introduced 3 wheelers... O wait... TPC HAS! And I'd want mine to look just like the old school 350x... O wait... THERE'S ONE!

I want

M.Pargiello
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
A TPC :)

Those guys are doing it right.

Edit: manbearpig ninja posted on me

1982-Honda-185S
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Would love to see a big utility trike with independent rear suspension and fuel injection. 750cc+ Something like a Brute Force or something,lol. Gotta come in pink too!!!lol!
I started to drool reading this haha

yaegerb
01-08-2013, 08:57 PM
The big 4 don't need to start making them again. If I want a new one, I will call up Bill at TPC :)

CodyRosa
01-08-2013, 09:50 PM
how much does one of those TPC trike's go for?

yaegerb
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Depends. I have seen them start at 7-8k and go up to 13. Depends on your budget and what you want.

CodyRosa
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
oh wow lol.. yea i'll stick with the oldies haha. I love the look of the oldies better than the TPC's for some reason.

Stonewall
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
I think that if Honda built one based off the 420 Rancher they'd have the ultimate 3 wheeler.

gtzpimp21
01-09-2013, 01:16 AM
damn never heard of them....interesting!

Jeff B
01-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Well, Quads have gotten up to a liter displacement, streetbikes are around 1.2 or 1.4 liters, I'd like to see a raptor 700r based trike. Perhaps a Honda with 250r styling, and a crb1100 engine for true lunatics. I truly would love to see what the big four could cook up these days. Imagine if they released a large-displacement liquid-cooled Two-stroke? (I am drooling) I mean really, the sky's the limit here. We've got ultra-light expanded-member frame design on almost everything nowadays, absolutely humongous power plant output, and limitless styling and power delivery options. I'll agree that those TPCs are gorgeous and fast as anything, but just imagine what would happen if folk like Kasey, Howdy, Vealmonkey, or Mr.Twisted signed on at a major manufacturer to design the next generation of rip-snorting trikes from hell. These potential trikes, and their reintroduction to the market might just be one of my greatest life's wishes.

Jeff B
01-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Beyond all that, imagine where new utility trikes would end up. Jeez! This is a good thread! I need a cold shower.

mcgyver331
01-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Being the owner of a 86 600x I would love to get in on this. so far my conversion has only cost about $300

BiggDogg
01-09-2013, 09:43 AM
I have a sport quad that i love going fast in but I'd want my 3 wheeler as a more around the house tool. I use my little KLT110 as my yard work horse. I usually get it going 20MPH up and down my street but most of the time i'm in 1st or 2nd gear pulling sh!t. So I would want a BIG RED type style 500-700cc with individual dual suspension. I'd use it as my fishing and yard work rig.

PS. I'm in the market for a Big Red if anyone has any leads. reasonably priced

beadle
01-09-2013, 09:48 AM
myself i would love to see a yamaha yfz450 based sport trike im not much into the utility bikes, trust me there isnt a day that goes by that i dont think about putting a 450 thumper in my tri z chassis!

Tri-Z 250
01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Bang for buck....TPC's are a value if you consider a few factors. If your restoring a Z or R even a T3 from top to bottom every nut bolt and mod available to make it compete with a TPC the end cost might just suprise you.
Powered coat or paint after sand blasting is well over $100
Complete bearing replacement over $300
Crank and motor mods could run as high as $1000...your gonna need a BigBore if your looking to holeshot the TPC
Suspension- people will argue USED but a true todays standard custom rear is $800+ a seals and oil for the forks $165
Plastic- $400
Seats to make new could run from $100-350 depending on condition/and if you do it yourself
Stainless bolt kits run in excess of $100
Wider than stock axel $400(lifetime replacement) quality Co. unless you fleebay used or go with a no name mfg.
fork covers- $35
brake pads- $70
Pipe and sielencer price varies but NEW $350-500custom
Carb and fliter $350
Chain and Sprockets $250
Now expect little items like cables, grips, decals, number plates, and trinket bling to run around $200+
Now I haven't even added in the purchase price of the machine....as you need a 450 to convert to keep it fare.
SHIPPING: Sometime costs more than the parts....the parts are never next door or 10miles away figure $300+
If you just add up what I've listed your in the $4500+ range and I haven't included everything you could invest into a Race MX restore.
Yes a savey buyer and someone who can bore and build a motor; do their own forks and seat, could save from my list. After reading
most of the posts on 3WW very few possess the ablity to do it right. I personally pay for quality work and perfer to. I'd rather have an expert
do the work as I'm NO expert. In the end you will invest into a 20+ year old machine thats hard to find parts for and be running an old frame with outdated forks.
TPC a frontloaded investment that it's all at one time to buy the conversion and machine.
The difference in the ablity to get parts at the dealer and modern aftermarket ad-ons is endless and way beyond a 20+ yr old machine.

Resale value: I think you'll find your old machine will be worth 2x in parts(+the hassel of you shipping and collecting your $) vs selling it complete.
TPC...I can't tell ya: It's a new market and not many have been sold to a second hand(as far as I know). I know of ONE, and it did sell for less than the cost build but the seller was in need of the money...and I don't know the final sales price but did know starting sales price. So I wouldn't base resale on a single senerio. The number was higher than a NEW Quad is all I'll tell ya.

If the BIG 4 ever did produce a new version judging from todays Quad & Dirtbike prices 10K tax and title would be a safe price in the Showroom

What I'd like is a 2stroke 500cc....Love the smell of BellRay in the Morning!

Bill form TPC has stated his 250f and CR500 builds will be coming in the near future...hope to see at least 1 buy the NatyBula.:naughty:

SawyerCustom
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
I've talked to the local dealers in hernando county florida, and some in tampa.. it was a mutual agreement, I can't even get any of them to put a totally restored 3 wheeler on consignment.. I tried the arguement of you guys sell reverse trikes, and the owner flat out said the dealer network wouldn't let them, if they did put one on consignment they would get a reaming from the higher ups..

Jeff B
01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Bump, wanna see more folk weigh in on this subject.

218honda110
01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I think they should make one like the big red again, but put a 500cc engine in it, and have it Three Wheel drive. Arctic cat made those cub bikes that were 2 wheel drive back in the 60's and its the same concept just 2 wheels in the back.

Gripit'n'ripit
01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd like to see some sport trike come out. Polaris predator conversion? Maybe a Cannondale 440? Outlaw?

Just-Tri-It
01-14-2013, 11:00 AM
If a person wants a new 3 wheeler, then TPC and businesses like them will be the only avenue. The U.S. Government is not going to allow the re-manufacturing of the 3 wheeler in mass quantity, which would be the only way to get the costs down. Even though the 'ban' has officially ended, it's not likely to happen and the protest against it would just start over again. Not only that, but there is a movement to ban the 4 wheeler or at least to curb the number of them produced and specific models, particularly the sports model. The utility model not so much. Places to ride are been curbed as far as parks go.
More and more of the Parks are restricting the use of atc and atv riding. Just take the State of Ca. for and example.
The less places people have to ride them the less people will buy them, the less number will be produced. Sorta phasing them out with out outright banning them.
Just the way it is....not necessarily the way I like it. It is what it is.
If a person wants a New 3 wheeler, then TPC or a company like it will be the only avenue. So if you want one go ahead and Just Tri It.
IMO.

3wheelernoobie
01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
I think 3 wheel drive is pointless no? It would affect your steering ability and weigh down your bike. Im not sure if somebody could do that with out it being dangerous as anything. Just think about it motor bikes don't have 2 wheel drive why ? Because it's impractical and unsafe :).

M.Pargiello
01-14-2013, 07:56 PM
I think 3 wheel drive is pointless no? It would affect your steering ability and weigh down your bike. Im not sure if somebody could do that with out it being dangerous as anything. Just think about it motor bikes don't have 2 wheel drive why ? Because it's impractical and unsafe :).

Look up Christini bikes :) think again

3Queen
01-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Look up Christini bikes :) think again I am at a lose of words with that after seeing them videos, never know they made them.. Thanks for sharing that i really like seeing what them bikes did rock climing in and out of all wheele dive, absolutly amazing

M.Pargiello
01-14-2013, 08:32 PM
I would LOVE to own one. Or at least ride one once!

ezmoney1979
01-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Look up Christini bikes :) think again
And also the much more primitive ROKONs.

350ratc
01-18-2013, 12:02 AM
I would go for a tpc 450r if i were to get another there sweet lookin bikes

SawyerCustom
01-20-2013, 04:58 PM
I have personally worked on Rocons.. they are really cool but the small lawn mower almost engine is just not enough to power them properly, I am sure there are a couple versions out there but the Rocons I have worked on were fit with a 6hp honda gocart style engine.. They have a through frame shaft that drives a gear box up front to turn the front sprocket.. strange to ride, but fun and great in the mud.. I have also started advertising 3 wheeler conversions.. dirt bikes to 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers to 3.. Have been stairing at my kx125 rolling chassis wouldn't be hard at all to convert it.. Will post pics as I start to build it.. Still have 3 other 3 wheelers to finish restoring before that conversion gets off the ground..

playin
01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
i hope there shaft driven. also would love reverse

Jwmajic
01-26-2013, 04:40 AM
I'd like To be able to buy a nice 250-350 trike. As for features I'd like a reliable motor and good powder coating I've seen 4 year old bikes with more beach rust than my 29 year old bike. A christini awd system would be interesting.
http://www.christini.com/awd-technology/about-the-technology

struckran
01-29-2013, 12:41 AM
would be nice to be able to go get a new trike from honda and have all new oem parts without waiting for a tpc kit to come lol

oeduardo67
01-30-2013, 01:37 AM
I would like to see crazy builds like fuel injections 660cc fourstrokes, inverted forks, adjustable travel suspension, hey maybe even direct injection 2 strokes. as for design a new more sporty front fender similar to honda dirtbikes and that aerodynamic look with a more round design for the fenders like that of the trx450r and a pair of LED or HID would look good, preferably 2 5 inch headlights

atc300r
01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Id like to see a 700 cc two stroke like the KTM. TPC are awsome. Aluminum framed would be sweet.Also a twin two stroke like the one zmpolaristech built.Also a 200 two stroke like a blaster engine in a trike frame.

shovelryder
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
I hope it never happens.....I think they would ruin all we like about them with technology....

RIDE-RED 250r
01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
All I'm going to say is this:

Electronic Direct Injection 2-stroke engines! I don't even care if they never revive the trikes (because they never will), I would just be happy to see a revival of the 2-stroke line! BRP is doing it with great success with the sled market. Why can't we do it with our wheelers/bikes??!! (rhetorical question of course) Thumpers are great, thats un-deniable... But not everybody is into thumpers for their "light your hair on fire" machines....

RyanZD
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
I t would be awesome to see the old trikes come back!

Smacksta
01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
I agree with Ryan