PDA

View Full Version : timing chain adjuster 6mm bolt

averysdad
01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I loosend the 6mm bolt when i was trying to adjust the timing chain today. later i came in the house and was looking in the manual i have on my computer it said DO NOT LOOSEN THE 6mm bolt only loosen the nut the bolt is screwed in to. why dose it say that what did i mess up ??? the trike is a 85 200x it still runs good

shortline10
01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
When you loosen the larger nut that adjusts the tension , the 6mm bolt doesnt need to be loosened but i'm sure you didnt hurt anything .

kb0nly
01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
The 6mm bolt will not cause damage if you remove it, i imagine they say that to prevent some people from causing problems, not really sure. I have adjusted the chain on many of these Honda motors by removing the 6mm bolt and screwing a 3mm screw down into the tensioner then loosening the larger nut and you can push down on the screw to break it free and pull up to tighten then tighten the large nut. Normally you only have to loosen the large nut to loosen the tensioner plunger so that the spring can apply pressure to readjust then you tighten the nut to lock it in place.

averysdad
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
thanks alot they made it sound like big deal in the book.the motor is the only part thats good on this trike and i dont want to mess it up lol ill try doing it the right way later motor has a small noise in it