PDA

View Full Version : Torn acl

dustrunner
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
ANYONE EVER TEAR THEIR ACL AND BLOW OUT THEIR MANISCUS DISK ? if so how was the surgery and how long did it take to full recover ? looks like i need the surgery :(

sledcrazyinCT
01-14-2013, 06:13 PM
sucks to be you! I tore my ACL when I was twenty playing basketball. fed it up so much I had to let the swelling go down so I was on crutches for 3 months before going under the knife and 4 months afterwards on crutches.

Only good thing for you is I am talking 20+ years ago this happened to me. They have perfected the surgery and techniques - I was lucky I had the head surgeon who did surgery for the Hartford Whalers and all the Uconn football players so he was one of the better guys doing it at the time.

Mine lasted 11 years before I tore it again (in a Reveille mosh pit) Still haven't gotten it fixed but I am surviving OK. The main reason I have put off surgery again is because the Drs tell me I got one more time before they will have to replace parts of my knee.

Wish you well good luck!

SWIGIN
01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
ANYONE EVER TEAR THEIR ACL AND BLOW OUT THEIR MANISCUS DISK ? if so how was the surgery and how long did it take to full recover ? looks like i need the surgery :(

I have done both and then some on my right knee. For me there is no full recovery. I did mine back in the early 90s and it still is a huge PITA.

That being said, they have got better at fixing these things so maybe you'll be better off.

midsouthtrikes
01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
I tore mine September 2012, actually my acl, lcl , pcl and miniscus. (severe knee dislocation, toes tried to touch my thigh due to cr500 wreck). People have told me that kidney stones are the most painful thing a guy can go through, I have had three stones in the last 14 years. Waking up after the knee surgery was more painful than the stones hands down. I have talked to others in therapy and they didn't have much pain. I am still going to therapy and the pain in the knee is almost gone, still painful after therapy. Your acl should not be as bad as mine but it will still be a little painful. I hope your surgery goes well, good luck.

p.s. make sure you do your therapy no matter how bad it may hurt, it will get easier.

Howdy
01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
2006 I had knee surgery ( ACL and miniscus ) 2 1/2 weeks later I was at TF but couldn't ride anything but a modified golf cart. I took more pain pills there then you can imagine. Surgery was a pain, and I know I will have to have it again.

You will love the staple they put in your leg. I had mine removed in 2009 or 10 due to the pain it caused.
Howdy

Scootertrash
01-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Never had it happen but just the sound of it makes me hurt.

Howdy
01-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Here is a picture of the staple that was used to hold the new ACL to my leg until it healed. Then I had the staple removed. I wondered why I had barbs on the back of my knee. LOL
Howdy

dustrunner
01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
well, i was hoping for a little better news.. ahh well... thanks.......maybe after the operation i will get some sleep......

Scootertrash
01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Here is a picture of the staple that was used to hold the new ACL to my leg until it healed. Then I had the staple removed. I wondered why I had barbs on the back of my knee. LOL
Howdy

:O

That's a big staple!!

Howdy
01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
:O

That's a big staple!!

Yes it is. I demanded to keep it being as I paid a very nice 3 wheeler for it ( My knee surgery was over $16,000, the staple alone was over $1000 ).

If you look at the staple you can see the barbs on the sides. To me it's more of a medieval weapon than a staple.
Howdy