PDA

View Full Version : Rust in tank....Does Apple cider vinegar really work?

BigRedRider85
01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
I have heard a few people say that the cheapest easiest way to clean rust out of a tank is to simply let apple cider vinegar set in the tank for about 48 hours to get rid of the rust, pour it out then pour water and baking soda or diesel in to seal it? Has anyone used this method? If so is it worth a shot.....

ebaccm26
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Yes it works great! Just make sure to get all the vinegar cleaned out, I would rinse more than once. If you search there was a thread not long ago containing several other methods aswell.

Big G
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
I was going to try this method with regular vinegar. Is apple cider vinegar better?

CodyRosa
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
"The works" works wonders. I tell everyone to use it now lol.. i poured like 4 bottles in and let it sit for 15minutes and all my rust was gone.

BigRedRider85
01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
I was told to only use apple cider vinegar...also seen on the show american restoration to use apple cider vinegar. going to go ahead and start letting mine soak tonight. going to let it soak for a good 48 hours. I will post back with before and after pics.

Howdy
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
I would try 24hrs dump it into a bucket and see how things are. Then if it needs another 24hrs put it back in. This way you don't over do it right off the bat. But then I try to be careful when trying things I haven't done before. ;)
Howdy

BigRedRider85
01-15-2013, 06:48 PM
dont sound like a bad idea...thanks howdy

Sapes
01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I've read somewhere (I've never tried it but plan on it) using fish tank gravel. Put the lid on and shake it.

ngunter2
01-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Ive heard that BB's and diesel work pretty good. If i were doing the fish tank gravel I would probably put diesel in it too.

gtzpimp21
01-15-2013, 11:06 PM
i used a handfull of nuts and bolts and shook the crap out of it.

BigRedRider85
01-15-2013, 11:16 PM
did you seal it with anything?

zeeker1
01-15-2013, 11:45 PM
My rusty tank looked like it had a bottom seam leak so I set it on a five gallon bucket and filled it to the brim with regular cheap vinegar and let it sit for a week. Rinsed a few times with baking soda and water and it was practically rust free. It never leaked a drop sitting on that bucket but when I put gasoline in it a few days later there was a drop hanging on the bottom. I bit the bullet and bought a POR-15 motorcycle tank kit and it is now pristine! As with ANY of the sealant kits, you MUST follow the directions to the letter. If you don't, you just wasted your money.

200xking
01-16-2013, 08:33 AM
use phosphoric prep&etch its from home depot..in the paint area...its very caustic be carefull....use gloves and eye protection...pour it in the tank and within 15 min..its gone....its about 15 dollars for a gallon..i use it on all rusty parts and nuts and bolts..

kb0nly
01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
use phosphoric prep&etch its from home depot..in the paint area...its very caustic be carefull....use gloves and eye protection...pour it in the tank and within 15 min..its gone....its about 15 dollars for a gallon..i use it on all rusty parts and nuts and bolts..

Good tip, i will have to look into that stuff. I have some parts that could benefit from it.

rosbornejr
01-16-2013, 02:29 PM
You can purchase a product on most ATV websites called Kreem Fuel Tank Liner. I just bought the "kit" for $33.00. It's a three step process. The 1st dissolves the rust and etches the metal, the 2nd cleans it and the 3rd is a liner to keep it from rusting in the future. All the reviews I read were good. My motorcycle mechanic actually used it on his chopper tank.

Just a tip.... Kreem also sells a product called Tank Mask.... I didn't buy it, but I wish I would have. It is a clear coat that you paint on prior to using the liner kit. The liner kit can / will damage paint if it comes in contact w/ any and the mask kit will not allow the product to penetrate to the paint.

Good luck.