PDA

View Full Version : Im new to the forum and i need 110 help. please

Ether
01-18-2013, 11:00 PM
hey guys im new to the forum i guess you can say. i been checking in on the site for about 2 years. and been a member for a year. this is the first time i have posted anything thow. Im 21 been working on ATV's ATC's Dirt Bikes and motorcycles for about the past 6 year. I work full time at a local dealer. i try to ride as much as i can but here in the past few months i cant ride at all.

I tried posting thing in a different section but it wouldn't let me. so here goes.

I had a 79 Honda 110 and i was riding and the spark plug blew outta the head. well i was down for a couple months. well i got a 1980 Honda atc 110. and the cylinder was full of water. so i sprayed some PB in it and let it sit for a few hours, took the carb off my 79 (the 80 didn't have one) i cleaned the points and pulled the rope maybe 5 times and BAM bike started. so i rode the bike for about a month (while removing parts from my 79 to the 80 that looked better) well it came to a point that my bike didn't want to start. it kept fouling spark plugs. so i cleaned the points, put a new plug, cleaned carb. and no change. i got a flea bay and bought a new carb. no change. the bike smoked so i thought loss of compression. so i took the top end off my 79 and put it on the 80 and tried that. and still the same, Im out of ideas. i work on these things all day and have no idea what it could be. only thing i can think is a completely new top end. new bore, piston, rings, valves.

can someone please give me something to try before i rebuild it. its not much to rebuild it but i would like to try to get it to start before i do it.

O it will start if i change the plug and pull start it. you have to be going fast and dont hit the throttle untill it tries to start then you can barely hit the throttle.

thanks guy.

shortline10
01-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Do a compression test , you need at least 100psi for it to run .

sledcrazyinCT
01-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Do a compression test , you need at least 100psi for it to run .

sounds like you got lucky that it ran right away after being filled up with water. How did the valve seat area look on the 1980 head when you removed it?

Did you inspect or lap the valves before you installed the 79 head? How did you repair the stripped out spark plug thread?

Hope you get it running again

symfrog
01-22-2013, 02:39 AM
You could also check the cylinder piston and rings

shermanlee33
06-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm kind of having the same problem. I bought a79 110 and the kids rode it for a couple of days and it just died, and now it won't start back. Getting fire and gas. Have took carb off and cleaned inside and out, but still no luck. It smoked pretty good while running but thought that was maybe cause they hada plug that was to long and was not screwed all the way in. Don't get it, ran good one minute, fire andgas but won't start. Also has good compression. Can someone help with this issue?? PLEASE!!

shortline10
06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
If your sure it has good compression then replace the points . Even if they look good and deliver spark. These motors are famous for bad points masking different symptoms. Also their only 6 bucks.

I'm kind of having the same problem. I bought a79 110 and the kids rode it for a couple of days and it just died, and now it won't start back. Getting fire and gas. Have took carb off and cleaned inside and out, but still no luck. It smoked pretty good while running but thought that was maybe cause they hada plug that was to long and was not screwed all the way in. Don't get it, ran good one minute, fire andgas but won't start. Also has good compression. Can someone help with this issue?? PLEASE!!

mudmike
06-19-2013, 02:07 PM

My first thought would be to replace the plug with one that is correct for the machine as there are a couple ways a "wrong plug" could fail
You said the plug was too long and not screwed in all the way, so the plug isn't gonna be tight so it could have
1)Loosened itself off causing a loss of compression thus killing the machine
2) Allowed air to pass around the plug on the intake stroke causing a lean condition and now you have a problem coming from that,
3) Tightened itself down allowing the plug to contact the piston and close the gap.

I did a quick search and I'm turning up a "NGK DR8HS' as the proper plug. Was a web search so take it for what it is though.

Also what color was the smoke

White: This is water so it shouldn't happen because the engine is air cooled, but if you get water in the oil it can wash the cylinder walls of oil and scar them causing "blow by" the short term effect is white smoke the long term effect is loss of compression.

Blue: This is oil. This is caused by either bad valve guide seals or from "blow by" if it is valve guide seals it can foul the plug. If it is "blow by" the short term effect is blue smoke and fouled plugs. the long term effect is loss of compression.

Black: This is unburned gas caused by the carb being set way too rich. Short term effect is black smoke and fouled plugs. Long term effects can be excess carbon build up on the valves causing them not to close properly and lose compression. If let go for very long periods it can plug a muffler with carbon and cause the machine to run poorly.