PDA

View Full Version : 84 200x extending swingarm

CodyRosa
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Ok i'd like to extend my swingarm.. say +2 or +4 whatever. Now my main question is.. what do i do about the chain? can you add links to them by removing the master OR do i have to buy a longer? Where would I find a longer if that's what I need to do? I'd be running 12t 40t for sprockets.. maybe a 13.

What are the pros/cons of doing this to a swingarm? like harder to corner? harder to whip around? Anything that comes to mind please let me know so I can see if I want to do this or not.

Also my shock.. if its longer swingarm with the normal shock will the wheeler be sitting higher or lower? Do i need a different spring?

Thanks everyone

M.Pargiello
01-21-2013, 12:14 AM
It will probably sit a bit higher at rest, but think of the swinger as a lever. It will be easier to compress the shock while riding with the extended swinger. It will also have a larger turning radius. You can get longer chains but will also need a longer brake line

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Thanks Mike, to bad I don't have brakes hahaha. Ok so what can I do for the rear shock to make it stiffer? Change out the spring? or a hole new shock?

fabiodriven
01-21-2013, 08:35 AM
There is absolutely no need to extend the swing arm of a 200X. If you can't figure out how to get a longer chain, how can you seriously expect to extend a swing arm? And don't be stupid, fix your brakes. Being unsafe is not funny or cool, it's just stupid.

Not that it matters, but if you were to extend the swinger you wouldn't have to stiffen the spring. I asked the same thing when I first started extending swingers.

RapidRick
01-21-2013, 01:36 PM
And don't be stupid, fix your brakes. Being unsafe is not funny or cool, it's just stupid.

:wondering

Like Fabiodriven says....Fix the brakes, prioritize safety, :idea: read your manual, and :idea: figure out how to use the search engine here, this board is great for information, your questions have most likely already been answered.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 02:45 PM
No need to worry about the break situation. That's when I first got it. I have not drove my 3 wheeler in about a month. I'm redoing it and YES breaks are on my list. I only had front breaks on my other wheeler and it SUCKED as it wanted to flip me over if I slammed on them. So it's rear breaks this time or both preferably. I was only driving it in the snow without breaks so the snow was my breaks.

fabiodriven
01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I feel dumber having read that.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
What? lol what was wrong with what I said?

fabiodriven
01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Where would you like me to begin?

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Yes please explain lol. I said I didn't have breaks when I bought it, i'm now redoing the wheeler, i'm buying breaks for the rebuild pretty much sums it up. Oh and I hate having front breaks because when you go fast and slam on them it was to turn the wheel to the right or left and flip you over.

fabiodriven
01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
First of all the word is "brake" or "brakes", not "breaks".

Secondly, if your front brake is causing you to lose control and/or crash you need to seriously work on your riding skills.

Third, unless your trike has a steering wheel on it, you're "riding" it, not "driving" it. I can't recall having ever told anyone I was going "driving" on my trike.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Sorry grammar nazi.. when I'm on the internet I could care less how I spell lol. You feel dumber? because I wrote "breaks" instead of "brakes" and Driving instead of riding? Technically you are driving a 3 wheeler lol. Doesn't matter that YOU told people your riding I say driving. To even get mad over that shows you have issues. Also how do I need to work on my "riding" skills? I never once crashed or lost control on my wheeler lol. When the tire turned all the way to the right and the machine was on 2 wheels was when I was holding on with one hand and holding onto something on the other. Everyone has their first time buddy. That was maybe my fifth time driving a 3 wheeler. Do I do that anymore? Nope.

You probably shouldn't read this post because you'll just feel "dumber" anyways.

Have a great day!

fabiodriven
01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
This-

I only had front breaks on my other wheeler and it SUCKED as it wanted to flip me over if I slammed on them.

Oh and I hate having front breaks because when you go fast and slam on them it was to turn the wheel to the right or left and flip you over.

or this-

Also how do I need to work on my "riding" skills? I never once crashed or lost control on my wheeler

You can't have it both ways... :wondering

Sorry grammar nazi.. when I'm on the internet I could care less how I spell lol.

I (as well as many others) will judge your intelligence by your grammar. Please continue to write the way you do, by all means. It makes it easier to weed out the idiots.

Technically you are driving a 3 wheeler lol.

No, I am not.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Are you serious? What do you have against me lol. I'm pretty sure I spell fine and have good grammar lol. Just because I wasn't paying attention and put breaks instead of brakes makes me stupid? I can tell what kind of person you are by your last posts. Your a mindless douchebag who apparently thinks your better than everyone. Please don't post on my threads anymore, thanks.

ezmoney1979
01-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Are you serious? What do you have against me lol. I'm pretty sure I spell fine and have good grammar lol. Just because I wasn't paying attention and put breaks instead of brakes makes me stupid? I can tell what kind of person you are by your last posts. Your a mindless douchebag who apparently thinks your better than everyone. Please don't post on my threads anymore, thanks. You need to read the site rules. You are way out of line and hopefully getting a "break" from one of the mods.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
are you kidding me? I'm out of line? Ban me from the site then. I hate people like him. I see why my friends got mad at me when i was a grammar nazi in school.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Ok before you tell me I'm out of line.. and to read the rules. Please read them yourself. No trolling, and post baiting. "If you post something with the intention of doing nothing more then pissing a person(s) off you are doing what is known as trolling or post baiting. Trolling and post baiting will not be tolerated period, and you will be banned without warning or notice totally at any moderators discretion." Clearly Fabiodriven should have read them as well I guess. I think it was quite obvious I was getting annoying by him correcting any and ALL mistakes.

fabiodriven
01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
This-

Sorry grammar nazi.. when I'm on the internet I could care less how I spell lol.

Or this-

I'm pretty sure I spell fine and have good grammar lol.

You can't have it both ways... :wondering

I think it was quite obvious I was getting annoying by him correcting any and ALL mistakes.

You certainly can be annoying, but not because of me. You do just fine on your own.

Name calling is against the rules. I am well aware of the rules of the site, thank you.

Some friendly advise, whether or not you want to take it is up to you. Learn to respect your elders and appreciate it when somebody is handing you knowledge. Many people on this site have been there and back again many times. You could learn from them if you choose to.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Lol wow. yes I have great grammar and spell great as well.. on the internet I don't care though.. you wanna know why? I don't care what people think about. Think i'm an idiot that's fine. You deserve that "name call" i'm sorry but you do. I've said I hate that when people correct me like that and your STILL doing it. Even after I posted the first line of the rules lol.

Here I'll be the big man in the situation because this doesn't need to escalade into something bigger than it already is.

Fabiodriven- I apologize for calling you a "grammar nazi" and the other thing. I apologize for freaking out on you. Accept it or not is up to you.

Really now have a great day.

fabiodriven
01-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Here I'll be the big man in the situation because this doesn't need to escalade into something bigger than it already is..

The word is "escalate". ;)

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Lol shut up.. i'm actually laughing now

Bilster
01-21-2013, 06:37 PM
You can extend the swing arm on an Escalade!!! Sweet!! Tell me how!!

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Oh it's simple really ;) You take this and that off and then you have a swingarm. lol

Jeff B
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Well... That escaladed quickly. ;) But seriously, I'm really glad you two put aside your differences and this ended amicably. Spelling and grammar are both important, so is mutual respect. The two of you make some of my favourite posts, so I kinda watched this one closely. :beer:

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Hahaha Jeff did you grab your popcorn as well?

RapidRick
01-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Dang that was hillaireus :lol::lol::lol: :wondering

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 09:57 PM
*Hilurious Spell it right next time ;)

briano
01-21-2013, 10:04 PM
This is pretty funny. You think you have the skills to cut up, extend, and weld up your swing arm, but you don't know how to make the chain longer to match or where to get a new one. Stick to coloring trikes with your crayons.

briano
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
And stop LOLing everything you say, this is not a text message. Once or twice, fine not every post. Lol hahahahahahaha lol

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
What is your problem? No I wouldn't cut up my swing arm. I'd have my uncle help me. No I don't know how to make my chain longer hence why I asked the question. Did you know 3 months ago all I did with my life was play video games? Never touched a motor in my life? Guess what i've been doing the past 3 months? Working on motor's... so i'm sorry if I don't know as much as you bud. Stick to coloring trikes.. seriously what is your problem? Why all this hate for me today? What on earth did I do to you? This is probably the WORST day to PISS me off.

Nicoride
01-21-2013, 11:27 PM
extending a chain can be done in a pinch if you are just trying to throw something together to make a practice run, if you have some extra 520 chain laying around. You will also need another master link or get your uncle to weld a link back in. Or you can go on ebay & order a chain with more than enough lengths to do the job, better safe than sorry.
By the way i've been riding a 3 wheeler 250r with no back brakes for the past 5 years, I just downshift to slow down & don't squeeze the front brake too hard. But then again I must be some kind of miracle man stunt driver chain extender NoTZee with bad grammar. LoLoLoLoLoLoL.
Happy Trails.

ezmoney1979
01-21-2013, 11:46 PM
extending a chain can be done in a pinch if you are just trying to throw something together to make a practice run, if you have some extra 520 chain laying around. You will also need another master link or get your uncle to weld a link back in. Or you can go on ebay & order a chain with more than enough lengths to do the job, better safe than sorry.
By the way i've been riding a 3 wheeler 250r with no back brakes for the past 5 years, I just downshift to slow down & don't squeeze the front brake too hard. But then again I must be some kind of miracle man stunt driver chain extender NoTZee with bad grammar. LoLoLoLoLoLoL.
Happy Trails. Not this again.

M.Pargiello
01-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Wow this got crazy. Cody, just keep wrenching and learning. My youngest brother only played video games, and now he is rebuilding old Briggs and Stratton engines. It all starts somewhere! We need this younger generation to keep these alive, most are too busy with playing on computers or games so I definitely give some respect for the effort made so far! Just keep reading those manuals and rebuilding the right way, then it will be you passing this on to younger people!

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks Mike, someone that understands. I give props to your younger brother then! I'm gonna keep messing with these motors and keep on learning!

M.Pargiello
01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Im not too old myself (only 25) but I see it daily. Younger kids (I don't know how old you are) just aren't interested in this stuff anymore, it is definitely nice to see it once in a while. My son who will be born in may will definitely learn these things one day from myself, his uncles, and his grandfather who taught me!

CodyRosa
01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm 18. I wish I would have started this earlier.. You should definitely teach him at an early age! I for surely regret it. I think I finally found something that interest's me lol.. Congrats on the son by the way!

rosbornejr
01-22-2013, 01:50 AM
If you want to learn how to do a swing arm, practice with what you have now and when you get a 250R you will have some exp. I don't see the need for an extend swing arm on your trike but like I said, it's good practice.

And this thread has had me laughing my trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro off!! And sorry about your grandpa.

RapidRick
01-22-2013, 02:00 AM
*Hilurious Spell it right next time ;)
hilarious......

CodyRosa
01-22-2013, 02:06 AM
Rick.. i hope you are joking? lol clearly I was kidding. We don't have power in the garage ros so i'm going to have my uncle do it. I don't know if I want to.. i like swinging around on it. I just love the look of them like that. Ha I bet it did have you laughing =) just like a lot of others. Thanks man.