PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cleanin

ColtonGG33
01-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Hey so I was wondering if there was a way to clean a carb without using carb cleaner because that stuff is
pretty pricey around here, so if any of you know something around the house that you can use just let me
know. Also if u guys have any good technics to clean it tht would be great.

Thanks Colton

CodyRosa
01-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Well the small bottles of carb cleaner are very cheap.. like 2 bucks or so. One tip is when you are cleaning the pilot jet (the smallest hole) find a wire brush if you have one and rip out one of those little wires. Push that wire through the pilot jet until it breaks loose.. that is if its even dirty. For the bowl maybe alcohol and q tips? I think that's what I did at first. Not sure if you have done this before (cleaning one) but try to do it over something like a towel, bench, so you don't lose any parts.

I can't quite think of any other tips at the moment but if you get stuck let us know!

Good luck with the carb!

ColtonGG33
01-20-2013, 03:21 AM
Ok thanks I'll have to go to the dollar store and buy a can I have done it before but never detailed cleaned it just sprayed it then wiped it and then air dry it so I'm gonna have to do that, the carb on my 225dx has never been cleaned before and it looks like an inch of just dirt and grime so I gotta clean it soon hope it will help the performance a little bit

rosbornejr
01-20-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm with Cody on this one. Use carb cleaner. I found it on sale at my local auto part store for 2 for $5.00. You don't need to buy the "dip" if that's what you are talking about. Two cans of cleaner should do the job. Take the whole thing apart and spray out every everything. You can use compressed air too but that will not remove gunk. Like Cody said, use wire to scrub the jets out and then blast them with carb cleaner.

In my opinion, it's better to do it the right way 1st so you don't have to pull it off and do it again.

Good luck.

JustEnough
09-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I use hot water and laundry detergent. I use old toothbrushes and wire brushes and picks that I buy from Harbor Freight Tools. It is important to rinse the parts with hot water and don't let the parts soak more than an hour or so in the detergent because it is slightly corrosive. For really gunked up carbs, I will use white vinegar after the detergent cleaning. The vinegar will etch the metal so don't let it soak in vinegar for more than a half hour if you can help it. Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the detergent and vinegar. A fine wire may be needed to clean the gunk out of the main and slow jets. I use compressed air to thoroughly dry the carb parts.

Weis003
09-12-2013, 10:55 PM
I always use torch tip cleaners from the hardware store, they are like little round files.

Latitude42
09-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Yeah, 2 bucks around here... I keep a few old guitar strings for poking through the small stuff...

roonie
09-20-2013, 02:36 PM
deep creep is greeaaat stuff for carbs

R.J.M.
09-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Use carb cleaner but make sure NOT to spray it on any of the o-rings, they will swell up and then they are useless.