PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bearing Kit 250SX

rosbornejr
01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
I am in the process of getting my 250SX back in action. There is a tear in the "joint boot" (boot around drive shaft) and I'm pretty sure I am going to have to get into the diff and see if there is any damage. I figure if I get that deep I might as well replace all the seals and bearings in the diff and the axle. I found a kit on Ebay that I'm pretty sure includes everything...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC250SX-Rear-Differential-Bearings-85-87-/200729932117?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebc6fb155&vxp=mtr

Do not go by the pic.

Is this everything? Thanks guys!

Howdy
01-21-2013, 06:11 PM
They do sell kits for the diff. But without a picture of it I can't compare it to the kit I have at the shop. I would sell the kit I have, but can't remember what I paid for it. :(
Howdy

rosbornejr
01-21-2013, 08:33 PM
It says what's included in the description, I'm just not sure if that is everything.

rosbornejr
01-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Well, I just drained the rear end and it doesn't look good nor does it sound good. I'm gonna have to pull it apart and rebuild. Sounds like the pinion bearing is shot. Should I do swing arm bearings at the same time?

As far as the rear end goes, a rear axle kit and a diff kit is all I need, correct?

Gonna order parts and take it to a buddies house who builds diffs and I just wana make sure I have everything I'm gonna need because he's about 2 hours away.

Thanks!

Flyingw
01-22-2013, 01:03 PM
You will have a very difficult time replacing the pinion bearings without some special tools. I am all tooled up for rebuilding differentials. I am more than happy to rebuild it for a small fee for my labor and return shipping. You just need to send the rebuild kit with the diff if you want me to do it.

rosbornejr
01-22-2013, 01:40 PM
You will have a very difficult time replacing the pinion bearings without some special tools. I am all tooled up for rebuilding differentials. I am more than happy to rebuild it for a small fee for my labor and return shipping. You just need to send the rebuild kit with the diff if you want me to do it.

I will PM you. Thanks.

rosbornejr
01-23-2013, 04:07 PM
I just did a search on the forum and could not find any topic on this... Please point me in the right direction if it has.

I am going to order seals and bearings for the rear axle... I keep seeing two different listings: "Late 85 - 87 and also "Early 85". I have to assume that they are different parts. With that being said, what is the best way to tell if my 85SX is an early or late model? All the original labels on the frame are torn / missing.

Thanks!

Flyingw
01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Lets start with the VIN number on the neck of the frame. What is the entire VIN? 17 characters

Flyingw
01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
I will also add that Honda does not distinguish between early 85 and late 85. I have rebuilt several SXs and never ran in this issue when ordering bearings. The swingarm design changed for 86-87 SXs and I believe the brake panel side bearings changed.

Ref items 19 & 20 for 85 SX axle bearings
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2461634&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=1985&fveh=131334

86/87 SX axle bearings
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2461638&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=1986&fveh=131335
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2461617&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=1986&fveh=131335

Always start with the honda part numbers for variations.

rosbornejr
01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I did a vin look up. It was made 9/84. So I answered my question there. And like you said above, I thought all 85's were the same and didn't change till 86. But I guess if it was made late 85 it would be an 86. But it's weird that they list the items like that. If I had an 86 made in late 85 I wouldn't call it an 85.

Flyingw
01-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Right!!!!!!!

markrb
02-05-2013, 11:57 PM
I just did a search on the forum and could not find any topic on this... Please point me in the right direction if it has.

I am going to order seals and bearings for the rear axle... I keep seeing two different listings: "Late 85 - 87 and also "Early 85". I have to assume that they are different parts. With that being said, what is the best way to tell if my 85SX is an early or late model? All the original labels on the frame are torn / missing.

Thanks!hey guys, when you figure out what bearings you need for the 85 can you please post the part numbers, because i want to change all the bearings on my 250sx also... Thank you....

Flyingw
02-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Just get an allballs kit off Ebay Mark. The fitament if fine with the Allballs kits.

markrb
02-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Just get an allballs kit off Ebay Mark. The fitament if fine with the Allballs kits. ok... thanks.. i will do so.. man, you sure do know your stuff jim !!

trike savior
02-08-2013, 06:11 PM
just a suggestion from mistake i made
when you change boot between engine and swing arm either unbolt and move entire engine or remove swingarm (swingarm easier said than done) i thought i would just pull final drive out of engine but the transmission shaft stays with that piece and before i realized what i was doing i heard a ping inside motor and realzed one of the gear spacers in trans fell out of place. fix: tear down entire motor and split case. never been madder at me. good luck keep em running