PDA

View Full Version : 200m how to remove flywheel without puller?

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
I just tried my front axle and it went in the first three turns, then it stops due to the next hole being way smaller. Like half the size of the first threads. Can I pull it with just the front axle? If so how? Or is there another little trick for this? I've looked for about 2 hours now on youtube and can't find ANY videos about taking one off this way. I know it's possible for other 3 wheeler motors (200x) though.

Thanks

curtis slawson
01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
The tool cost about 15$ at Honda I suggest you by one before you wreck the threads.

Not good to cheap out on stuff learned that the hard way.

yaegerb
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Buy the flywheel puller tool. Its cheap and you don't break anything in the process of removal.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Thing is.. I have no money lol and I don't want this motor sitting in my room half split. Is it possible to do with the front axle?

ezmoney1979
01-21-2013, 09:45 PM
If you have no money, how are you going to put it back together properly? Get a manual, get the right tools, do it right the first time. You have been given nothing but good advice on these boards, now try and take some of it.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 09:56 PM
I have my way's of getting money. How am getting it back together? Once again I have my ways. I have a manual. A manual is in no way going to help me understand how to use a front axle to get off my flywheel nor is it going to help me use any other tool other then that pulley. I agree 100% I get GREAT advice and do use it all the time. Get the right tools? I have about 95% of the right tools. Just not a flywheel pulley and the tool for the clutch basket. I have heard of plenty of people getting around this Pulley tool so I thought maybe I could do it as well. If it's truly NOT possible without that pulley I will have to ask my uncle or buy the tool myself. Sorry for asking the question.

ezmoney1979
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Its a flywheel "puller" not pulley you are after. You sure are argumentative for someone looking for so much help. Good luck.

tri again
01-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Thing is.. I have no money lol and I don't want this motor sitting in my room half split. Is it possible to do with the front axle?

I've heard of something funny like that.
Did you try the search key?
Almost guarantted to mess up something.

Aren't those reverse thread?
I went through a lot of trouble getting ready to dismantle a 110
and after a week of screwing around thes'o'b' simply fell off anyway.

duuude, if ya need 12 bucks for the tool, I'll send it to you
but would like the tool afer you're done.

Hang in there.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Maybe i'm not in the mood for any crap today? Maybe check my signature next time. I'm argumentative? I can just tell you've got something against me for some reason. The last few posts the way you've typed out stuff. Sure seems like you've got something against me.

Anyways thanks.

symfrog
01-22-2013, 02:16 AM
If this is a onetime thing find a friend or shop with a puller and have them remove it or ebay one

CodyRosa
01-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Oh I didn't see your post Tri Again, no I really don't have 12 bucks lol. I have not had a job in awhile. I stay home to help around sense my dad is going through to much crap in his life right now.

Symfrog: I may have to ask my uncle if he has one. Welcome to 3WW by the way.

kb0nly
01-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Cody...

Get a metric bolt the same size and thread as your axle, i forget what size it is i would have to go grab one of mine and measure it to tell you for sure. The local Runnings Farm and Fleet here has them, along with any other farm supply stores or good hardware stores with metric bolts in the little plastic bins.

Now buy that bolt and a matching nut, only a few bucks each, put the nut on the bolt and spin down to the head end, now that you have the bolt take it to a bench grinder and hold it at a 45 degree angle and grind around the end to create kind of a dull pencil like point on it, just putting a 45 degree chamfer on the end of the bolt and leaving the very end flat to push on the crankshaft. After you get that done put the head in a vise and then grab a wrench and spin the nut back off, it will clean up the threads on the end of the bolt where you ground into them, you can use a thread die to if you have a large metric tap and die set, most of us don't. now after the nut is off spin it into the flywheel until its hand tight then get a wrench that fits the bolt and a rubber mallet, put the wrench on the bolt and just hold the end of the wrench on the bolt head and smack the wrench hard and fast with the rubber mallet a few times, yes the flywheel will turn, but usually a few shocks of the rubber mallet will pop it off unless it was sitting open somewhere and rusting for a while. If its rusted on lay the motor on its side, flywheel up, and fill the center hole where you are screwing in that bolt of the flywheel with PB Blaster and let it soak overnight and try it again.

I don't have an impact wrench but if you have one that would substitute for the wrench and mallet. I get them off ALL THE TIME using this method. I have bolts that are ground down like this and one thats not for those that need a larger flat surface on the end. I even took one bolt and put it in a vise on my drill press and drilled through the center to eventually thread it and make my own puller, but the bolt and shock method always takes them off anyway.

If you get bad threads in the center of the flywheel it won't affect anything other than your ability to remove it, they are there for the puller only. And you can always buy a large metric tap to clean up the flywheel threads.

CodyRosa
01-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Thank you Kbonly! Exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Do you happen to have a picture of what your custom pullers look like? I think I have an idea of what it would be but a picture would do it justice. Thanks again!

kb0nly
01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
No i don't, if i get a chance between the crap i got going on this week i can snap one but i think you will get it figured out. You just need to take the corner off the end of the bolt all the way around, like i described just picture a pencil with the lead snapped off, tapered but with a flat end. Knocks em off every time.

CodyRosa
01-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Ok maybe I'll look for a 14mm bolt tomorrow and grind it down a bit. I know what you mean exactly by the pencil shaped tip. I'll have to read your explanation on how to do it when I actually attempt. That way I should know exactly what you mean. Kind of hard to understand when I don't even have a bolt in front of me.

Thanks though! I'll try it soon.

kb0nly
01-24-2013, 02:08 AM
You will get it, if you dont have the right tool make it! If i get a chance i will take a pic of mine, probably before that you get one made...

Honda_ATC
01-24-2013, 02:48 AM
Now thats a damn good idea!

ps2fixer
01-24-2013, 05:59 AM
I made one for a TRX250X engine, should be the same design I would think.

Basically I found a bolt that fit the threads, and a 2nd bolt that bearly slipped passed the smaller hole, did some grinding on the smaller bolt to get the length about right, put it in the hole, screw in the large bolt and tap while you tighten the bolt. I like the other member's ideas/design a bit better, less parts to loose lol.

kb0nly
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
I've don't the two bolt technique to.. I have also put a nylock nut in there with the nylon side towards the crank since it has a bit of a dome to it to protect the crankshaft threads. Then one day i came to realize i could modify the bolt a bit and bingo! It pops them off fast every time. Total cost was something like $5-6 for the bolt and matching nut and then five minutes at the bench grinder.

I haven't been able to swing past my toolbox and grab it for a photo op, been too busy to play with the trikes now as well. Have to satisfy my trike cravings by checking the forums every day... LOL