PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Gas tank

218honda110
01-21-2013, 09:02 PM
My 110 gas tank has some rust in it iv'e put bolts in and shook it around a bunch and rinsed it with parts washer fulid but there is still rust in the tank anybody have an idea how to get it clean.

CodyRosa
01-21-2013, 09:08 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/152581-The-power-of-quot-The-Works-quot-vs-rust

This is my thread proving that "The Works" works well against rust. About 1.27 per bottle at walmart or any other store for that matter. It's just toilet bowl cleaner that you dump in there and let it sit for about 10-15minutes.
Just take a glance at my thread to show how to use it better for a gas tank.

tri again
01-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Lately, I just blast them with a power washer like at the quarter car wash and rinse them out real good.
Use a little gas dryer like 'heet' to get the moisture out,
keep them by the heat over night, blow out with compressed air and then keep them full of non ethanol gas forEver.

Keeping them full eliminates the oxygen and no ox no rust.

Of course, there are probably hundreds of pages if you use the search key for 'rust' or 'gas tank'.

Yes, it is nice to have them pretty and I have used acids to sparkle them up but the real purpose is to keep them from getting worse.

POR 15 is most appealing to me but not cheap.
Radiator shops will clean them real good and pretty cheap too.

Yeah, try the search key but it may make your head spin.

218honda110
01-21-2013, 11:06 PM
I did spray it out with a power washer and it helped alot but there is a little left, so i think i will flush it out some more.

symfrog
01-22-2013, 02:14 AM
Use the toilet cleaner then seal/coat the inside.