PDA

View Full Version : Timing help with 84 big red 200es

ChrisB
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
I posted before about my trike not running right, and after trying a lot of different stuff, i've come to believe its a timing problem. It never crossed my mind but she jumped her timing before and when i set it myself is when it started running sluggish, no power, and cuts out if its given a quick hard shot of gas. She jumped her timing again and when i set it back it is still running poorly, I was just wondering if there was any tricks to getting the timing exact, because i know if its off the slightest bit it wont run right and i think thats my problem (correct me if im wrong). My timing chain is stretched i think but if i get it set it holds up for a good while i just need to get it exactly on... Any tips would help, im not even sure if im going about it the right way so if someone could walk me through the whole process of setting the timing it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ChrisB
01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Another thought, is it possible its not running right because the chain is loose? if so does anyone know a way to tighten it? the adjuster is as tight as it goes.

tri again
01-24-2013, 12:04 AM
200es??

Not sure what you mean by setting the timing.

Let's start with:

service manual

You should be able to click on those words and download or read a manual.

Ignition timing should be in there.
I HAVE noticed that there is a timing 'breaker plate' under the cover that says 'cdi'

They get rusty and stuck and there are 2 little springs that can get stuck or break.
so your timing may be stuck in advance etc.

as far as cam shaft timing, I forget if that chain adjuster is an automatic spring load type but the
service manual

should tell you,
or another member wiull jump in and correct me.

Good luck, we'll get you some answers.

kb0nly
01-24-2013, 02:16 AM
If your tensioner is maxed out then its time for a chain, you won't do anything but cause damage or continue to have timing issues until you replace it.

You can replace the chain only with out having to pull the motor or top end on the 200ES, i have done it, its tricky but doable. Chances are if your chain is that sloppy though then you need to tear down the top end, new chain, new tensioner and guide for it, and at the minimum a top end gasket set and a left case cover gasket. Its almost cheaper to buy a full engine gasket set and then you have what you need plus the rest for maintenance.

Once the chain is replaced you just line up the cam and crank and your done.

ChrisB
01-24-2013, 11:36 AM
The breaker plate i think mentioned in the first post does have a spring broken (missing) on it. would this cause the bike to run poorly? also do you know of anywhere online to get the gasket set, chain and guides? Side note: when idling she makes almost like a sucking sound every few seconds, not sure if this helps the diagnoses