PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my hair out!

Jfm0
01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
I have an '85 200s that is fouling the plug when I try to start it. I've adjusted the valves, made sure the air box is clean, nipped a bit off the end of the plug wire and checked the timing. It's good. It's getting blue spark regularly. I put a new zoom zoom carb on it last week and thought I had it dialed, although it was hard to start. It fires now on full choke and dies, I then put it on half choke and it fires and dies, then the plug is fouled. It looks clean but is really gassy. Does anyone know what the stock pilot jet setting is for a china carb? I've had it set from 1 to 2 1/4 out, and nothing changes. Any ideas? The throttle slide is set in the middle, would that help in this situation if I changed it? I appreciate any input.

barnett468
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I have an '85 200s that is fouling the plug when I try to start it. I've adjusted the valves, made sure the air box is clean, nipped a bit off the end of the plug wire and checked the timing. It's good. It's getting blue spark regularly. I put a new zoom zoom carb on it last week and thought I had it dialed, although it was hard to start. It fires now on full choke and dies, I then put it on half choke and it fires and dies, then the plug is fouled. It looks clean but is really gassy. Does anyone know what the stock pilot jet setting is for a china carb? I've had it set from 1 to 2 1/4 out, and nothing changes. Any ideas? The throttle slide is set in the middle, would that help in this situation if I changed it? I appreciate any input.

you have the number 1 priblem i know nothing aboit chinese carbs, sounds very rich could be jet needle too large or jet needle choke too tall or pilot or main jet too large. does it start with no choke and no throttle? plan b pay your health ins and i did not say this. i have sat on the bike and had two friends push me then dump it in 2nd gear with no or very little throttle. once it runs it is often much easier to find the problem if you have main jets then drop the slide needle down and lower the main 3 sizes at a time and try again with and without choke and friends. float level high or check the needle and seat may have debris keeping the needle valve ooen. that may be it.