PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing alcohol inside a motor?

CodyRosa
01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Ok well I'm splitting my case of my motor because there's sand inside it. I have to turn the crankshaft and I'm wondering if I can pour some rubbing alcohol in it to get that sound off the crank. I won't be running my motor with the alcohol in it lol but it will sit in there for a few day's. Also when I do split the case what should I use to clean it out? Will the alcohol work or do i pour gas over the parts.. oil? what's the best solution to cleaning the gears. Water and then let it sit outside right? haha only joking.

Thanks everyone

shovelryder
01-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Id be using gasoline......I wouldnt use any rubbing alchohol

old-yellow
01-28-2013, 02:45 PM
i use gasoline and if its a two-stroke dont forget to lube it back up

ATC-Eric
01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
How did sand get inside the engine? Did it run with the sand in there?

JasonB
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
carb cleaner (aerosol can you spray it everywhere) is always what I have seen people use and myself used when chaging top ends etc. Usually rub everything down with motor oil since its cheap and will keep things from rusting

M.Pargiello
01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm with Eric, How did you get sand inside of it?

CodyRosa
01-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Hahaha don't worry I did NOT run it with sand. It was from sandblasting. I should have taken it apart and got all the gears etc. out of there.

Thanks for the answer.. I guess i will NOT be using rubbing alcohol.

Flyingw
01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
On the contrary Cody, rubbing alcohol is an excellent cleaner and I use it for cleaning stuff after bead blasting. It's cheap and doesn't leave a residue. I get rubbing alcohol from work as a waste product and use it for cleaning everything as a final rinse. Best of all, rubbing alcohol does not swell rubber parts like part cleaner solvent does. I fill a container with rubbing alcohol and soak parts in it prior to powder coating.

struckran
01-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Ive used brake clean to get dirt and sand off parts that's sat around...blasts if all off but i don't use a harsh kind that burns because of engine seals and also burns the skin, i use a citrus based. probably a can of carb cleaner would be be best like JasonB said

CodyRosa
01-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Yea FlyingW I actually use it after I sand something. Works great lol. Stuckran: I used carb cleaner once on the outside of a gas tank after I sanded it. Worked great as well.