PDA

View Full Version : You ever have one of those days?

LonesomeTriZ
01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Yesterday I got all the odds and ends buttoned up on my bike and got it running on the jack. All I had left to do was change the oil and sync the carbs. I got the bike off the jack and used a 2x6 to level the bike for the oil change. At that time my neighbor came over to ask for my help moving something heavy. When I returned my son (eight years old) had just gotten home from school. I was distracted for a moment when I stopped to speak to his mom when I heard a loud crash right behind me. My son, thinking the bike was stable, climbed on it and knocked it over. He fell between the bike and a radial arm saw stand I had next to it. I think that saw stand stopped him from getting hurt because it took the blunt of the impact. Of course I was angry and he was very upset for damaging his daddy’s bike. But he was not hurt and from what I can tell most of the damage is only cosmetic. The only real annoying thing is the oil fill cap just disappeared. I spent most of the night and today looking for it. I had to order one from the stealership. I am looking at a week before I can ride this thing now.

Matrix
01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
I cant put my cylinder back on my 250r and nothing is going well for me right now.

LonesomeTriZ
01-29-2013, 07:02 PM
I know it happens, but damn...

dustrunner
01-29-2013, 09:12 PM
glad your boy is ok... it could have been alot worse....

atc007
01-29-2013, 09:26 PM
glad your boy is ok... it could have been alot worse....

My thoughts EXACTLY !! Parts can be replaced...

LonesomeTriZ
01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
I wanted to de-chrome the bike anyway.

SGabe
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
ding ding ding beat your kids! Just kidding. Hey since he wasn't hurt you can be that much more angry with him and lay it on thick. Jeez I remember I learned the hard way a few times.

rjs89ia
01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
today and the last week and a half have been nothing but those days. sometimes i wish airplanes were just in the movies it'd save me a lot of headaches and stress but somebody has to fix it.

JasonB
01-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Could have been worse! Always look at what could have been worse, but that does suck lol. What bike? Did I miss that?

LonesomeTriZ
01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
He now has to take some of the money he has been saving for his first vehicle and buy me a new oill fill cap. I am glad he was not hurt. If that saw stand was not there that 600+ pound bike would have done some damage to him.

shovelryder
01-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Yer making him buy the fill cap? at 8? Cause he climbed on yer bike and it tipped.....and he didnt get hurt? And yer making him buy the cap?.....My kid dropped a bowl the other day.........Im gonna make him buy me a new bowl......Cmon man.....Thats just odd.

dcreel
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
edited: misunderstanding

LonesomeTriZ
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Maybe I should have included the fact that I told him NOT to climb on my bike when I had it in the garage and especially when I am working on it. I figured making him resonsible for a very minor part of the damage done was a lot better than spanking him for disobeying me. This way he takes ownership for his actions and learns a lesson.

LonesomeTriZ
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM
I should also mention that he is not paying for the damaged windshield, dented tank, cratched chrome, or damage to my radail arm saw.

dcreel
01-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Maybe I should have included the fact that I told him NOT to climb on my bike when I had it in the garage and especially when I am working on it. I figured making him resonsible for a very minor part of the damage done was a lot better than spanking him for disobeying me. This way he takes ownership for his actions and learns a lesson.

10-4 message heard and understood. With that understood.. I would do the same thing...

shovelryder
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Lol........HES EIGHT!!!! He shouldnt have to! I have 4 kids.......Looking like a mighty long road if ya got that bent from a lil accident man......I wish you luck.

shovelryder
01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Damn......This is making me realize I was an ass to my six yr old last night.....I need to just keep telling myself.....hes 6, hes 6, hes 6..........lol!

dcreel
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
My 8 year old knows what NO means.. She also knows what personal responsibilty is.. If she causes something bad to happen, she will pay the consequences.

LonesomeTriZ
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
I have found he responds better when he has to pay for the damage done. He can see his money going across the counter. A spanking or verbal lashing wears off a lot quicker. Do nto get me wrong though, he is a great kid and we rarely have to get onto him.

shovelryder
01-30-2013, 11:08 AM
My three oldest are amazing.....very easy kids.....My youngest is a hellion......learning to deal better each day tho......Hes just nuts all the time!

LonesomeTriZ
01-30-2013, 11:11 AM
It is our job to teach them to take responsibility for thier actions. My son is smart and knows when he has done something wrong. If you have a btter idea as to how I should teach him to stand up and take responsibility, I would love to hear it.

shovelryder
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
I sure dont....In fact.....I tried three times after posting that, to delete it.....it wont let me. I stand corrected.....

LonesomeTriZ
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
The next part is I plan to get him out there to help me fix the rest. That is daddy son time though.

dcreel
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Sounds to me like you are doing a great job, dad.. My wife's 8 year old daughter lives with us. I have a 9 year old son in Houston, TX, and an 11 year old daughter in Ohio.. I get them for the summers, sometimes Christmas, and sometimes Spring Break..

Hug your kids until you embarass them..everyday. Don't take a minute for granted...

Mosh
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
I get alot of flack from parents and grand parents because I catch their kids leaning on my, or others cars, or sitting on bikes, playing with the work bench vice, etc.. and correct them from doing it. I always get that (a lil harsh aint ya..its just a car).I respond with "You wanna see harsh? Look at the body shop bill to fix the dents and scratched paint".

Both of my uncle's owned body shops and one golden rule they always preached was....

"Treat every machine in here like it is a 1 million dollar machine and you have to pay for it if you break it"
I have taught my kids that..Now if only the other neighborhood heathens would listen..

Glad your kid was okay.

LonesomeTriZ
01-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I tell you one thing, that is not a problem area. There is no way any one can say my son does not get enough hugs. Just about every time he walks by and grab him up.He is starting to get a handle on answering for his actions. I just hope he does nto start hiding things he has done wrong. That is why i did nto spank him for knocking my bike over. I want him to know as long as he is honest the punishment will not be severe.

wheelsforheels
01-30-2013, 01:41 PM
You sound like a good Dad. I wish my son and I were as close. I can't even imagine how you would of felt if things had of turned out worse.

LonesomeTriZ
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
I was pretty angry, but I was more relaived when he stood up and was able to walk away.