PDA

View Full Version : ATC250es Big Red. Having a few problems Looking for Ideas??!!

Big OL Red
01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
I recently bought a Atc250cc big red off a guy, its been nothing but problems. I have already had to replace the engine thats why its an 85/86 the engine is 85 the rest is 86. The new engine runs very nice, thank god. got it from EBay.

1. The right rear axel nut is seazed up, I have used PB BLaster on it and put a break bar on my big 3/4 torque wrench, then i used a cold chisel and tried to tap it loose to act as a impact kinda i guess. Didnt work. I need new brakes or wouldnt be to worried about it, i can get the tire off with the 4 smaller bolts. id like to grese it but its not bent or nothing...I dunno. Help!! Ideas??

2. The front drum brake cap plate has a 1'' hole in it. like a drain? is there suppose to be a plug of some sort? or?

3. Front fork springs are wore out it goes up and down but not smoothly.

dustrunner
01-29-2013, 09:45 PM
after many years of doing it the hard way = breaker bar/pipe with heat etc. i bought a good impact wrench and it works amazingly well... just a thought...good luck

Smacksta
01-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Heat it and try an impact.

Smacksta
01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Can you take a picture? I don't get what you mean about the front drum cap?

rcurtis16
02-01-2013, 01:34 AM
no gap is supposed to be in the front drum, its supposed to be sealed, and the front shocks just have bad seals, take them off, not sure how, but take the cap out, pop the shafts down inside, pull your seals out, put the new ones in, and put oil in, depending on how soft or stiff you want it to be depends on the oil, more oil, more stiff, less oil more soft i think, and just get and electric impact gun for the back axel, if it dont come off, heat it up, and then quickly cool it with water should come off fine

Smacksta
02-01-2013, 01:55 AM
I just did my front forks on my 86 250es. It was kinda tough getting them off had to use a mallet lol they were never done before. Once I did the seals and put new fluid in it was night and day. I put in 10 weight cause I'm only 185. The heavier the fluid the stiffer they will be. So judge by how big you are. Look in the manual as well they have the spring length that it should be. Should let you know if the spring is shot. If you have any more questions on the forks just ask.

rouseanator
02-02-2013, 03:17 AM
what kinda fliud you use in the front forks of the 250es thinking of rebuilding mine in the am already have seals any more parts that need to be replaced. My bike seems to sit a little low in the front, the fender occasionally will rub when turning real sharp so could this mean the fluid is low, could adding more fluid lift it up a little, im going to change it of coarse but the shocks seem to take a little long to come up in my opinion so could the oil change maybe improve this

Smacksta
02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
It also could be your springs. Measure them up when u get them apart. Should only need new seals for them unless trailprotrailpro piston ring inside is done for or your springs are powered out. Do you have the service manual? I just put Maxima fork oil 10W but if your spring is the required length when you measure it you might want to put a heavier weight of oil in.