PDA

View Full Version : 1983 200x project

Eazyrider111
01-31-2013, 01:58 AM
Well I took the dive and picked up a super clean 83 200x for 500 bucks. Came with a brand new PRM skid plate and sixpack rack. Also included was an extra rear
shock, that's because the one on the bike is blown, new fork boots, Honda service manual, new grips, and new seat cover. Plastics are in amazing shape and
the bike has everything from the head light to the stock exhaust. So now for some details. Started to work this thing over today and noticed some things I
didn't see last night when I picked it up. jb weld on the oil drain cover!? Haven't had the guts to even try and pull it off yet. also some jb weld on the fork
bleeder at the top where it threads in. Exhaust is rotted out on the end of the silencer at the welds, tires are rotten, and one of the rubber fender cushions was replaced with masking tape, and to top it of the rear brake assembly is gone. So looks like I have a little bit of work cut out for me but that's the beauty of it I
guess. So ordered tires, the rubber cushions x2, new spark plugs, used brake assembly, new air filter, and as many stock parts that I could get of off bike bandit.
Coolest part I took off the crappy blue seat cover to replace it with the new one and low and behold the original seat cover was underneath and is flawless. I
decided to just rock that instead of the new one. I drained out the old gas and removed the air filter and gave it a good cleaning. Day one down tomorrow I will
Post pictures and continue to disassemble and clean. Any thoughts on the drain cover?

rttuck21
01-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Welcome to the site!!!
Sounds like a pretty good find, I would try and take it loose, if they got it to seal up once with it then chances are you can get it to reseal again, I would take the chance because sooner or later you will have to drain and clean the screen out, I would close my eyes and hope for the best, you wouldn't want to be out on a ride and it come loose and drain your oil, always worth a check!

Eazyrider111
01-31-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the encouragement I will just open it up and hope for the best. Also the air filter was super dry when I opened up the air box. I assume that it should be oiled just like any other bike? or is it supposed to be dry?

CodyRosa
01-31-2013, 04:06 AM
Hi, and Welcome to 3WW! I thought there were a special kind of air filter that was oiled. Both mine have been dry. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I thought I heard. Anyways goodluck! You'll be seeing my 200x on here soon for my rebuild thread =D

yaegerb
01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Well I took the dive and picked up a super clean 83 200x for 500 bucks. Came with a brand new PRM skid plate and sixpack rack. Also included was an extra rear
shock, that's because the one on the bike is blown, new fork boots, Honda service manual, new grips, and new seat cover. Plastics are in amazing shape and
the bike has everything from the head light to the stock exhaust. So now for some details. Started to work this thing over today and noticed some things I
didn't see last night when I picked it up. jb weld on the oil drain cover!? Haven't had the guts to even try and pull it off yet. also some jb weld on the fork
bleeder at the top where it threads in. Exhaust is rotted out on the end of the silencer at the welds, tires are rotten, and one of the rubber fender cushions was replaced with masking tape, and to top it of the rear brake assembly is gone. So looks like I have a little bit of work cut out for me but that's the beauty of it I
guess. So ordered tires, the rubber cushions x2, new spark plugs, used brake assembly, new air filter, and as many stock parts that I could get of off bike bandit.
Coolest part I took off the crappy blue seat cover to replace it with the new one and low and behold the original seat cover was underneath and is flawless. I
decided to just rock that instead of the new one. I drained out the old gas and removed the air filter and gave it a good cleaning. Day one down tomorrow I will
Post pictures and continue to disassemble and clean. Any thoughts on the drain cover?

There is JB weld on the oil cap? I would need to see a picture of this. If its on the oil cap, not a big deal, but my guess is you are speaking of another part on the bike. A picture would help.

JB weld on the fork cap is also not a big deal. You could find a fork cap easy enough, again a picture would help.

Good Luck!

Honda guy
01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
One of my 200x had bottomed out pretty bad and the frame got bent up and put a crack it the oil drain bolt so it was
Leaking from the crack in it so maybe something like that happened and the guy just put some jb to stop the leaking.
Hopefully something like that happened to. if you have a spare valve cover somewhere you can use one of those valve
Inspection bolts same thing as the oil bolt just put a new o ring on and try that
Good luck.

Eazyrider111
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I will put some pictures up today. I just figured that you would oil the air filter just like a dirt bike? I have the manual Im gonna read it over and hopefully
get a better understanding of what Im working with.

kb0nly
01-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes the air filter is an oiled/wet air filter. You soak it in 80w gear lube then squeeze out the excess and your good. Its in the manual, page 45. The service and user manual are on my server, click the link below in my signature!

Eazyrider111
02-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Ok so here are some pictures of what I was working with. So basically Honda guy had it figured out. looks like the cover either got over tightened or it got hit and cracked. Tons
of jb weld on the frame and in the threads on the inside of the case. Cleaned it all up drained the oil, drained the old gas and cleaned the carb. Just waiting on some parts got the drain cover x2 for 8 bucks. Will post more once some of the parts come in. Also i knew this thing was old but using motor oil to lube the filter and solvent to clean it! thats
awesome. If i dont have any solvent I will use some gasoline to clean the filter. Only joking. crazy how far ATV's have come. Will post pictures of the exhaust and tires once they come thanks again guys.

Honda guy
02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Wow
Looks like you got a pretty good deal on that it looks clean......
Good thing it was a easy fix.

Eazyrider111
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks man yeah I couldn't believe how clean the stock seat was underneath the old one. gonna remove the rear shock(its blown) and replace it with the one the guy gave me. gonna grease the front and rear axle and the swing arm bearings while I'm at it today. I will post some better pictures.

kb0nly
02-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Nice trike, should fix up good! You got lucky on the oil drain cap, last one i saw that had JB Weld around it like that was because someone screwed up the threads and tried to glue it back in. Thankfully yours was just a cracked cap.

Eazyrider111
02-06-2013, 04:16 PM
So I started to get some of my parts in. Unfortunately the rear brake caliper I got is in really ruff shape. I have looked on ebay but nothing. Any other model brake caliper and
reservoir that will fit and work on this model?

jb2wheels
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Caliper - CR80 & CR85 front caliper is a bolt on replacement for the 200X rear BUT you give up the parking brake. I used one on my 85 200X and my 85 350X.

Looks like Banshee, Raptor, and Warrior use the same caliper with different P-brake setup. I'm thinking of trying one of these on my 86 350X. My 350X caliper is junk but I'd like to keep the parking brake. The Yamaha calipers are generally cheaper, too.

Rear reservoir? You can make just about anything work. I think I used an 650 Ninja reservoir on my 200X.

Rear master cylinder is tough because it's a larger diameter than most dirt bikes. I used a dirtbike master (can't remember what) on my 200X. The geometry was off becasue the mount holes, although spaced properly to bolt on the frame, mount the master at a different angle. Between that and the smaller diameter, it never had great feel or power.

I'll rebuild my 350X master with a 300EX kit.

Eazyrider111
02-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Ok so I did some searching and found a brand new Honda NOS rear brake caliper, and a master cylinder rebuild kit, and new motion pro parking brake cable, and some new pads.
Wasn't cheap but I know cheap doesn't always mean better. Thanks for the help again guys. Also if you guys are looking for parts cyclesrus.net is great. look on their ebay store
got a lot of vintage bike stuff.

Eazyrider111
02-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Finally got some parts in new front tire and rears, new tappet cover, douglas rear wheels, and a new DG RCM exhaust. Was a little disappointed with the finish on the exhaust.
Thankfully i had some VHT 1200 degree paint left over from another job. I still have the stock exhaust but it needs some help with some of the welds and some new paint.

Eazyrider111
02-10-2013, 04:15 AM
Finally got to do some work on the 200x. I put a new spark plug in, replaced the cracked oil drain cover, installed new air filter, new rear rims and tires installed, new front tire
installed, greased the front axle, put some fresh gas in and got her to start up. The bike was idling super high so I adjusted the idle and got it set. Unfortunately when I was riding it felt very under powered and would not accelerate much past half throttle. Bike feels like its falling on its face. Shifts fine but bogs down a lot. Any suggestions?

Honda guy
02-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Most of the time the carb is dirty. Inspect it look for dirt Clean the crap out of it and set it to the specs
Hope this helps you.

Eazyrider111
02-10-2013, 03:03 PM
thanks I bought a carb rebuilt kit I will just go through it and set everything the spec and replace any items that need replacing and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Eazyrider111
02-25-2013, 01:19 AM
It has been a few weeks since I have posted an update so here it is. A pic of the new tires on it makes it look really good. So I still need to work on the carb and will post an update once I get it cleaned and I plan to also install a new oem air filter which Im hoping will help.

yaegerb
02-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Looks nice! Your rear shock fluid resevoir should be mounted to the frame though. Yours looks like its hanging down. If you need that shock fluid resevoir mount let me know. I think I have a spare that I won't ever use.

Eazyrider111
03-08-2013, 12:47 AM
so finally got some time in on the 200x. Swapped out the rear shock and mounted it to the frame. Feels a lot better than the blown one that was on there. Also did a carb rebuild and cleaning noticed I had the plastic ring that slides over the main jet housing on upside down. installed a new exhaust gasket in the head as well as the one in between the
head pipe and the silencer. Mounted up the rear brake caliper with new pads but didn't have enough time to rebuild the master cylinder or drain the brake fluid. However I was able to disconnect the brake line from the master cylinder to the brake caliper and man the ports in the brake line were clogged with sludge and rust cleaned it all out. Cant wait to see what the master cylinder looks like apart. after all that I put the gas tank back on as well as the seat and decided to start her up and see if she ran any better. That's when I noticed something was wrong. I kicked and kicked and kicked and nothing. Fuel on, fuel was flowing, has spark, carb just cleaned, choke on, bled the carb and started kicking again and noticed that the kick started was notchy if you know what I mean and made an awesome grinding sound. So i dont think its the kick start shaft cause the kick start is not floppy could it be the gear? Anyone have this issue?

83 200e
03-08-2013, 10:06 AM
i didnt know they made an 83 200x must have been the first year

ShaftDrive225dx
03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Congrats on a sweet bike! I'm looking at a 84 200x tommorow myself i hope to add it to my collection if everything goes well. I heard these bike are beast out on the trails; i've even seen a couple videos on you tube and man do they have a lot of power for a 200cc motor! I just recently purchase a dg exhasut with headpipe off of dgperformance.com for 160 and it looks great havn't put on my 225dx yet but anyways i seen one for your bike on there for the same price they start on 160 and it includes the headpipe and all! If you want a chrome finish they have those too for a little more.