PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota gun owners, it's our turn: New York style gun laws introduced UPDATE

Scootertrash
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Looks like our Minnesota Democrats want to follow New York's lead:

Extreme anti-Second Amendment legislation has been introduced in Minnesota. These bills follow the New York model by proposing to make it illegal to possess magazines that hold more than 7 bullets, defining "assault weapons" so broadly that very few semi-automatic weapons would be excluded; making it illegal to possess an "assault weapon" that was not possessed as of February 1, 2013; requiring registration of "assault weapons"; and making it illegal to posses standard capacity magazines possessed before the ban.

At first glance, the 7-round limit doesn't distinguish between internal or detachable magazines, so even M1 Garands would become "assault weapons." And there's more. Registering an "assault weapon" would require a background check, would need to be redone annually, would automatically give permission for LE to inspect your home for safe storage, fees would be charged for registration (and there's no limit). You would be unable to buy more or even transfer them to your children. Instead, on death the weapons would need to be rendered inoperable or turned over to law enforcement.

HF244
Large-capacity magazine crime established for the manufacture, transfer, or possession of ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept more than seven rounds or any conversion kit, part, or combination of parts; terms defined; and criminal penalties provided.
Authors
Hausman; Paymar; Johnson, S.; Simonson

HF243
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill.php?bill=H0243.0.html&session=ls88

If the above passes, possession of a "high capacity magazine" will be a felony. So in essence, they want to make law abiding citizens who posses standard capacity magazines Felons.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/status_result.php?body=House&search=basic&session=0882013&location=House&bill=242&bill_type=bill&rev_number=&submit_bill=GO&keyword_type=all&keyword=&titleword=
H. F. No. 242
2013 - 2014 Regular Session
Short Description: Large-capacity magazine crime established for the manufacture, transfer, or possession of ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds or any conversion kit, part, or combination of parts; terms defined; and criminal penalties provided.

HF241
Description
Assault weapons; crime established for manufacturing, transferring, or possessing assault weapons; existing assault weapon disposal or registration provided for; terms defined; data classified; language clarified; and penalties provided.

Snippet from HF 237

Subd. 7a. Transfer by or to licensed dealers only. No person shall transfer a pistol
8.28 or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon unless the transferor or the transferee
8.29 is a federally licensed firearms dealer. Where neither party to a prospective pistol or
8.30 semiautomatic military-style assault weapon transfer is a federally licensed firearms
8.31 dealer, the parties shall complete the transfer through a federally licensed firearms dealer
8.32 as follows:
9.1 (1) the transferor shall deliver the pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault
9.2 weapon and a valid transferee permit or report of transfer to a federally licensed firearms
9.3 dealer, who shall retain possession of that pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault
9.4 weapon until the transaction is completed or as provided in clause (3);
Clause 3 mentioned above states that if the dealer cannot transfer the weapon to the potential buyer, the dealer must perform a background check on you before giving you your weapon back. If you fail the background check, the weapon is turned in to police or the local Sheriff, and you are reported to law enforcement

Here is a link to the complete text of the bill:https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill.php?bill=H0237.0.html&session=ls88

These potential new laws are bullsh!t and will do nothing to stop crime. The Newtown shooter broke 40 or so laws in during his murder spree. A few more laws is going to stop them? Rrrriiiight

And where is that open discussion relating to mental health reform? Remember? "We need to have an open discussion on curbing gun violence, including mental health reform". Seems to me the focus is on guns, haven't heard much about mental health.

Time to start flooding our politicians with calls, letters and emails. If you think it will stop here you are wrong.

Ruger has a nice site setup where you punch in your info and they will forward the letter for you. It takes minutes and is painless. Let's get this done!:
http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

NRA link to info on the bills and legislators contact info:

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/1/minnesota-gun-control-bills-to-be-heard-next-week-in-the-house-public-safety-committee.aspx

86T3
02-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Man, i think in ny its only a misdemenor to have a hi capacity clip. At least you got some warning so you can fight it, good luck

Scootertrash
02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
You may want to check into the latest bill signed by your Gov. Cuomo. IIRC the bill bans all high caps, even the ones manufactured before 1994 which up until the new bill was signed were legal. You have one year to turn them in or sell them out of state, after that it becomes a felony for possession.
I will see if I can hunt up the bill and verify this info later today.

The problem is that they want to penalize possession at all, basically taking them away from law abiding gun owners. The term "high capacity" is a misnomer and untrue, designed to scare people who don't know the facts, don't research the truth, and simply get scared, wet their pants and want them banned. The AR and AK platform rifles are designed around 30 round magazines, and the majority of the pistols manufactured today have a designed capacity of more than 10 rounds. Liberal fear mongering is all it is.

The Newtown shooter had (IIRC) 20 minutes before the cops showed up and he blew his brains out. How many rounds do you think he could have fired with 10 round magazines? 7 round? 5 round? Hell, a single shot?

I find it sadly amusing that the left continues to promote "The majority of Americans support more gun control", yet go try to buy a firearm, magazines or ammo. ;)

SGabe
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
"Liberals are like hormonal teenage girls, one dramatic chemical imbalance after another. There is no changing their mind and no reasoning."

That is a great quote I mat use that soon!

Scootertrash
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
"Liberals are like hormonal teenage girls, one dramatic chemical imbalance after another. There is no changing their mind and no reasoning."

That is a great quote I mat use that soon!

Feel free to use it as you see fit ;)

Thorpe
02-02-2013, 12:07 PM
So, are they thinking this would actually accomplish anything other then piss of the good guys...? Glad I don't own any of those nasty things to have to turn in... Are they going to buy low cap replacements? (On a side note/reminder to myself: I need to pickup a little drywall and joint compound...)

cochran
02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Do your part. Call and send emails. Also remember who these politicians are and vote them out when they seek reelection. Obama is meeting with political leaders and police officials on Monday in MN.

kb0nly
02-05-2013, 02:59 AM
So, are they thinking this would actually accomplish anything other then piss of the good guys...? Glad I don't own any of those nasty things to have to turn in... Are they going to buy low cap replacements? (On a side note/reminder to myself: I need to pickup a little drywall and joint compound...)

Hmm... Yeah i think i need to get a few sheets of drywall, some 2x4's, some electrical supplies for lighting in there... I mean to fix a few things... Yup, trip to Menards.

old-yellow
02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
:shiftyeyes:

Thorpe
02-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Hmm... Yeah i think i need to get a few sheets of drywall, some 2x4's, some electrical supplies for lighting in there... I mean to fix a few things... Yup, trip to Menards.

Read my mind... Did my part and went and bought a SKS yesterday....

Scootertrash
02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
NOOO!!!! Not the evil SKS!!!!!

I was going to try to make it down to the capitol this week for the public comment part of the new proposed gun laws, but some work came up. Kinda sucks, but I need the money.

The main part that sucks is this is why responsible citizens are never heard properly. We have jobs and can't afford to take off work to voice our opinion and attend rallies and protests. The FSA (Free Sh!t Army) has all the free time in the world.

Scootertrash
02-09-2013, 11:11 AM
UPDATE

I was not able to attend the hearings on the proposed gun control measures last week, but this is what I've heard from those that were there:

Anti-gunners were outnumbered by a HUGE margine
3 overflow rooms and the hallways were packed
Rep. Paymar favored the anti gun arguments and testimony. Cut the progun side short and didn't allow equal testimony time.
During the final hearings on Thursday 5 reps left the hearings early (it sounds like it was during the pro-gun testimony) and did not return
The 5 reps were:
Rep Deb Hilstrom (D)
Rep Shannon Savick (D)
Rep Dan Shoen (D)
Rep Erik Simonson (D)
Rep Linda Slocum (D)

In addition the sponsor of the bill, Rep. Alice Hausman, did not even show up to introduce her own bill.

For a political party that claims to promote fairness, tolerance, and equality, Democrats suck. "Do as I say, not as I do"