PDA

View Full Version : 84 200x swingarm bearings.. need help!!

CodyRosa
02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Ok so I got my bearings yesterday. Put the rear bearings in, and now onto the pivot point bearings (whatever there called) I got one almost flush with the hole and the 2nd one sticks out half way. The one I put a little dent in from using a socket that slipped.. stupid me but it still roles so i don't care haha. Now for the 2nd one I was using a 3lb hammer and put shims over the socket and got it half way. Now to get that flush can I use a socket.. or do sockets mess these things up? Like the shock from hitting it with a hammer could break them?

Now I don't have a press OR a big enough vice.. is it possible to rig something up with say my jack and maybe setting it under out bobcat bucket? lol.. homemade press or is there a chance it could bend/tweak my swingarm? It would act just like a vice only stronger.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to get these little suckers inside my swingarm.

Thanks everyone!

yaegerb
02-01-2013, 11:59 AM
I woudn't have gone with OEM bearings on the front of the swinger. The 3ww parts shop sells the delrin bushings. They are 25.00, one piece and are installed in approximately 5 minutes.

A socket and BFH is what I have always used in the past to set the pivot bearings in the swinger. It always helped to heat the swinger with a butane torch while chilling the bearings in the freezer (usually overnight). Also use some oil in the housing and they should go in easier.

atc300r
02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
I use all thread and washers to install them. X2 on the delrin.When my auto x is ready for new pivot bearings its getting them.

CodyRosa
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I bought all balls bearings for everything. Ok I will just continue at it then with a socket and hammer. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to wreck them at all. Thanks guys.

RoscoW
02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Use a pc of threaded rod, some washers, that same socket and a little thinking and they will press in or out, one slip with the hammer or socket and you've ruined the bearing. This is on an R but you can get the idea. Threaded rod is cheaper than dirt and the mechanical advantage of the screw is equal to a press.

Ross..