PDA

View Full Version : Beware of the Post Office

LonesomeTriZ
02-01-2013, 08:33 PM
I am not posting this to bad mouth the USPS, I am just warning those who may not have heard yet. I quoted several packages the past two weeks using the information from the USPS just like I always do. But when I got to the Post Office I found out they had a rate increase on 27 January. I lost a lot of money today when I sent out this weeks round of packages. My asking prices are always pretty fair because I know the cost of shipping as to be figured in when some one buys something. So I ate a big loss today and I just wanted to make sure no one else made the same mistake. Just a heads up before you quote a shipping price.

atc007
02-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Received all of my stuff just fine Louis. if you need any more shipping from me,by all means lmk ! I will gladly pay the difference. you are a AWESOME seller with VERY fair prices. LMK,,

Howdy
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
I am not posting this to bad mouth the USPS, I am just warning those who may not have heard yet. I quoted several packages the past two weeks using the information from the USPS just like I always do. But when I got to the Post Office I found out they had a rate increase on 27 January. I lost a lot of money today when I sent out this weeks round of packages. My asking prices are always pretty fair because I know the cost of shipping as to be figured in when some one buys something. So I ate a big loss today and I just wanted to make sure no one else made the same mistake. Just a heads up before you quote a shipping price.

I got hosed Monday taking a hit for over $45 in added shipping cost ( one 3lb package cost $6 extra, "international" ) . Had I known in time I would have added a couple bucks to each of my items to cover it.
Live and learn.
Howdy

LonesomeTriZ
02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Man I try, but the shipping costs are killing me now.

The rates took a big jump to. boxes that would have cost $12 to ship last week cost 16 and 18 today. They also tightened up on the measurments. Boxes that I did not have to meassure before I do now. They cost me a little more on top of the rate change. I was suppose to bring home around $100 today. Instead I cleared $16 and change. That made for a bad day.

Howdy
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
I understand that!! I felt like I gave all my stuff away. My auctions last week didn't do to well, and then I took a big hit on shipping.

MRSOUND
02-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Great....I got items on ebay now. 3 of 6 items have no bids so far (1 1/2 days left) hoping they don't sell just so I can adjust shipping on a relist.

Howdy
02-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Great....I got items on ebay now. 3 of 6 items have no bids so far (1 1/2 days left) hoping they don't sell just so I can adjust shipping on a relist.

If you have a day left and no bids you can still edit the listing. ;)
Howdy

MRSOUND
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Just looked up what "new" costs would be.......Didn't change on mine....They must have already changed on the postal calculator when I looked them up last Sunday before posting listings.
Just checked a calander...Sunday was the 27th.

LonesomeTriZ
02-02-2013, 08:39 AM
i was actually considering evilbay the other day. But with the shipping costs nowhat they are I doubt I will do it.

bkm
02-02-2013, 11:50 AM
I feel your pain fella's. This Big Red I'm parting out has killed me with shipping. Its hard when you try and give deals on parts and sell for 20-25 shipped and after shipping your making between 8-13 bucks on a part. Its hard to justify the time it takes to remove, box, and then drive to the post office. If you factor all that in I'm probably in the red on most of the things I've sold.

UPS isn't much better, if not worse. The rear rack on the Red, they wanted $66 to ship and the post office did it for $30. I'm to the point that if it doesn't fit in a flat rate box I'm not going to mess with shipping it.

kb0nly
02-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Flat rate boxes are your friend... If they don't fit in a free box from the USPS then go elsewhere. If its not flat rate its balloon rate.. .LOL

LonesomeTriZ
02-02-2013, 02:36 PM
That is my issue. Almost nothing I ship will fit in a flat rate box.

rdlsz24
02-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Printing your postage online is where it's at. I started parting a dirt bike on forums and eBay in December and in January I figured out how much you save by printing your own postage either through eBay or right on usps.com, plus they throw in free delivery confirmation which normally costs like 70 cents at the post office. I save probably a dollar or two every package I ship. Then I either go to the post office and just hand the package to them with the postage already on there, or I have been using their schedule pick up lately and that works slick also.

Rob

LonesomeTriZ
02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
I want to start doing that.

rdlsz24
02-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I was always kind of hesitant because I thought I needed a special scale or a printer that printed sticky labels. I bought a cheap digital scale on eBay that goes up to 70 pounds. I'm guessing you could also get one at Wal-Mart or Staples. I was tired of guessing and getting hosed on shipping. This scale is accurate to the ounce. I haven't been ripped on guessing weight since. I just plug in the weight and measurements to the wizard and it's all set.

And for the labels they just print on regular paper with any printer and then you can glue or tape them on to the box

Rob

rdlsz24
02-06-2013, 11:01 AM
In related news:

http://news.yahoo.com/postal-cut-saturday-mail-trim-costs-121737834--finance.html

Rob

LonesomeTriZ
02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
So they raise rates and cut services?

Flyingw
02-06-2013, 11:53 AM
It was announced today that USPS will be stopping Sat mail delivery beginning Aug 1. Sat package delivery will still continue.

LonesomeTriZ
02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
I wonder if it is true that the USPS will end up going under.

manbearpig
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Great...

Time to switch to UPS

USPS has lost/not delivered 4 (yes 4) drive chains and cam chains within the last 4 months. I've tried 2 different addresses and the same thing. The only one I actually received was an empty envelope where the chain box had punched out the end and another friggen note from USPS with some BS about how they process the mail and how packages are sometimes lost/damaged. Is that supposed to make me feel better about you a-holes losing my sh!t!?

LonesomeTriZ
02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
The same thing has happened to me more than once.