PDA

View Full Version : new member, 3 and a half trikes

kaymo
02-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi my name is james and I am a honda addict. I love to collect vintage hondas. of course i ended up grabbing an 86 big red 250ES as soon as i saw it. got it home and it would start right up on starter fluid. all the tires are flat and the gas tank leaks and front shocks are fubared but it was worth the 87.50 i paid for it.

next up i picked up a running big red, 83 200es. bent axle and fubared shocks again, as well as rigged air filter, and no exhaust or brakes. FUN! front brake locked up the other day so its immobilized at the moment

and yesterday i picked up an 85 250R frame in hopes of swapping the big red 200 motor onto the frame. i want suspension. dont care much for two stroke and dont know where i would find a motor around here anyway.

also got a tri-zinger. missing a wheel, plastics, tank, upper triple tree, handlebars ETC but got a PW 50 or 80 with it for parts (dont remember which) probably gonna try to put it together just to make a crazy little custom pit machine. or make a trike out of my qt50 yamahopper or something

anyway thats what i have for trikes. been planning on building a custom chinese 110 one too from a dirtbike front end and mini atv rear axle. no idea how a front skinny wheel will do but it will end up looking like a motorized big wheels. thinking of putting pegs on the front axle to make it even more like one haha

i will post some pics in a few days, but if anyone has ANY info about putting a 4 stoke 200 in a 250R frame please share. also i need some rear axle bearings for the R if anyone has some OK used ones cheap, i dont want to buy expensive parts before i even have a motor installed. even if you have some rough bearings i can use for mockup id take them if they are free.

THANKS!!

elevatorman
02-02-2013, 12:59 PM
welcome man, i dont think i can help you,your ideas, make my brain freeze. i am just trying to get my fat 250es to be ridealbe. i am sure someone here will contact you soon. some excellent trike builders in here. keep us posted............

kaymo
02-02-2013, 03:17 PM
haha its nothing too radical. havent even gotten into leaning trikes yet!! i always wanted a GYRO but maybe ill have to build one with this tri-zinger and my yamahopper haha

muthey
02-02-2013, 03:44 PM
you won't be able to transplant the 84 200 es motor into the 250r frame without some heavy modifications as the es is shaft drive, and the 250r is chain. the 250 es is your best bet for repairing, as you can do many things to that to improve the suspension, also their is an adapter that is being made that will allow you to put the 250r forks on your 250es, contact oldeuce for more info on it. as for the zinger if you restore it back to factory , I think you will have lots of fun rather than turning it into a quad. We try and promote preserving trikes on here rather than converting, but they are yours and you can do what you want with them. ask for the specific parts you are looking for and members will try and help you out as much as possible

kaymo
02-02-2013, 04:26 PM
woah buddy... you got things a little confused... the 84 big red 200es is most def NOT shaft drive! its a chain drive high low with no reverse. shaft drive is on my 86 big red 250! the 200es has no suspension at all front or rear... shock in front are dead and rear was always solid.

as for the zinger... i never said anything about converting into a quad... i like trikes. i have a PW50 for parts that i might use to convert the front to better shocks, and add suspension to the rear of it as well. wont really give it much suspension but better than nothing. im actually thinking about doing the frame work and selling it as a project (needs motor work)

the other thing i joked about was making something like a honda gyro. look it up if you dont know what that is its pretty cool.

kaymo
02-02-2013, 04:29 PM
and mine is an 83 not 84, but they the same

Edit: thought they were, i am wrong they are not

Buck Snort
02-02-2013, 05:28 PM
84 Big Red is shaft. Has hi, lo and reverse and is a 200

M.Pargiello
02-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Don't bastardize that r like that. Sell it to me if you can't fix it :) As for the big wheel idea, it has been done and looks as bad as it handles.

Honda250RinNC
02-02-2013, 07:11 PM
83 200E is chain
84 200ES is shaft

yt60 Tri-Zinger. pw50 motor is a bolt in. (have to cut or remove kick start though. it hits the frame

kaymo
02-02-2013, 07:45 PM
sorry, i never said 84 in the first place, muthey did. i said 83 200es with no reverse which is chain drive which is what i have. i can take pics if no one believes me

its a pretty rough frame, im not really seeing a reason not to bastardize it unless you want to buy the frame from me in NC. its not that i CANT fix it, its that i have no interest in spending a shitload of money on restoring it to original when i have very few of the parts, mainly an engine! if you want it make me an offer but im not going to give it away

anyway I like the power of the 200 but want suspension so why not put it in this R frame? its either that or i cut up a trx200sx for its rear end... either way it should be a hoot to ride. good trail bike i think. i am going to fix up my 86 big red for utility work

as for the PW50 why would you bolt it in? yt motor is bigger. anyway im not sure either are any good like i said might just do the suspension conversion and sell it to someone who wants to finish the motor work. im a honda guy not big fan of yamaha or two stroke

old-yellow
02-02-2013, 07:52 PM
heres a link http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/129856-Yamaha-tri-zinger-durablue-axle-and-more!!!!-Raffa-Where-ya-at?highlight=QT that might give you some ideas on what to do with that QT50 and trizinger also use the search on the upper right corner to find more build ups of trizingers

muthey
02-03-2013, 12:14 AM
kaymo before someone really tears into you, you don't have an 83200es, it is an 83 200e, the 200es came out in 1984 and was only made in 84 the s stands for shaft, the motors are almost identical except shaft and chain difference, and subtranny, the rest is same. Even the plastics are the same except the front fender may be different, as the 200e I believe is a different shock setup, and I thought you were saying that you were going to change the zinger to a bike, sorry about that misunderstanding. if you can get your hands on a 200x frame it is full suspension and a much easier swap out with the 200e motor just a slight mod where the electric start is at.

kaymo
02-03-2013, 12:11 PM
sorry i misunderstood ES as "electric start" didnt realize it meant "electric shaft" then ive definately got an E. no reason to "tear into me" unless newbie trolling is a sport around here...

this 200E has same shock setup as any other big red as far as i can tell... worn out telescopic forks. just found a pair of supposedly good ones for my 86 big red.

no i cant get my hands on a 200x frame, three wheelers dont seem to be as common in these parts. im guessing many who would have had them in this area would have participated in the buy back after the ban... you guys out west would have had more reason to keep them- more open areas to open them up on, sand dunes etc.

ive already gotten this 250R frame. sure i will have to cut some mounts and make some new ones but its got the pro link setup and big front forks! hopefully i can get them working well again. just need some rear axle bearings and i can start building a BIG RED R haha

kaymo
02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
just to clarify, i do know there are three wheelers around, obviously i found these big reds and this R frame, but they were found over long periods of searching and were on the verge of being scrapped, another common fate for power-sports in this area. a buddy who owns a junkyard said he saw an FL350 odyssey at the scrapper some months ago with no visible damage. they wouldnt let him buy it and so they crushed it. If i can find any of these 80's hondas or even frames, i buy them.

kaymo
02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
oh and it looks like the tri-zinger wasnt as rare as i thought, but parts still command a decent bit on ebay so it looks like I will just be parting them out. anyone interested in parts can get first dibs before i ebay them. pics to come