PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200x Cam Chain Tensioner - Wear Marks & Proper Install?

200xcheezmun
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
New to this forum, I am rebuilding my 1985 200x. Parting two engines into one and need to confirm proper assembly of the cam chain tensioner. I have noticed that new tensioners have a smooth surface but my used one has wear marks on it. I want to use the old tensioner to save money and have noticed it has wear marks on it from the cam chain and not sure of proper installation.

ISSUE: The wear marks are not on the centered on the tensioner so I am concerned about not installing it correctly which could cause the parts to prematurely wear. Does the tensioner install with the off centered wear
marks towards the piston side (inside)? Or should the wear marks go towards the outside?

Finally, does anyone have the the wear limits of the cam chain? I should be able to measure across a certain number of links to know if my chain is usable or not.

I am using a Honda shop manual but nothing is stated (blue & white in color).

yaegerb
02-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I would just replace it all with new parts. You can fine a new cam chain and guides on ebay.

However if you are going to use the old stuff there is only one way your guides can go in. Your manual will show you how. Maybe shortline10 knows the wear limits on the cam chain. You can send him a PM.

kb0nly
02-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Yep, only one way the tensioner and the guide can go in, they just can't be put in otherwise.

The tensioner and guide can be had as a pair for around $20-$30 and a new chain for about the same. I usually average around $50-$60 for them, but of course you need a gasket set as well to tear it all down and put back together. If you already bought the gaskets for the job spend the little extra and get a new chain and tensioner/guide set, you will thank yourself you did later when you don't have to tear it down again and get another gasket set when you rip a couple of them to try and rebuild it again.

200xcheezmun
02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks, after reading both posts, I decided to order new parts last night from Dennis Kirk (about $70 guide+tensioner+cam chain). Someone had EMGO kits (guide+tensioner) out on Ebay but my concern was about the quality (after reading a few other posts). By the way, Dennis Kirk parts are from Parts Unlimited.

Originally the crank shaft bearing failed which I thought was odd (it was the only component to physically fail). Of course, lots of internal debris too. Finally, I have spent a lot of time rebuilding the transmission and so far everything is shifting very easily by hand.