PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200X Steering stem bearings

CodyRosa
02-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Hey everyone.. I recently got my steering stem bearings from AllBalls and am trying to put them in. I got the bottom race all the way in and the top race is also in all the way and it sticks out 1/8 inch. The bearing on stem is all the way down and I still can't get the nut on the threads. Starting from bottom, Washer, Rubber seal washer, bearing, bearing, rubber seal washer on top of that. With of course the races in between. We measured both races and both are the same exact size. Nothing on/in the package show's what bearing goes where (i.e. top or bottom).. absolutely no directions. I also looked at the this post: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/65475-How-to-Tapered-headset-bearings?highlight=all+balls+bearing+instal That someone had told me to check out. Everything looks good but why are my threads still not sticking out enough to tighten that big nut down?

Thanks

bumsted200s
02-05-2013, 10:02 AM
I put the same stem bearing kit in my '85 200x also, didn't have any troubles. But I know what you are saying. If I remember correctly the race did stick out a little bit, but should be enough threads sticking out to tighten. Maybe take fork back off and try again, who knows maybe it'll go.

jb2wheels
02-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I had the same problem on one of mine.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=283&attachmentid=118279

That's the only picture I have.

I believe I ended up leaving out some spacer washer or seal to get the threads I needed.

yaegerb
02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
The top bearing sticks up a bit, at least it did when I switched over my bearings. You should have enough threads if you installed everything properly.

CodyRosa
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
.. hmm well thanks for the reply's, at least I know it's normal. If I press it out (steering stem) will that destroy the bearing or slide it right off?

yaegerb
02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Take some pictures of how you have it assembled now. It would at least give me a better idea of how you have everything installed.

CodyRosa
02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Yaegerb.. don't even worry about it haha I got it now! I took a big railroad tie(cut at 2ft long) drilled a 2inch hole (just big enough for the bottom of the stem) and I set the bottom triple over that. I put the railroad tie on a floor jack, rolled the jack over to our mudder jeep with a HEAVY duty bumper on the front. Put the nut on the stem and jacked up the stem into the jeep bumper. Lifted the jeep about 6inchs lol and I jumped onto the bumper. All the weight shot the stem out just like a press ;) Home made press for the win! I took the washer off, threw the bearing back on the stem and put it all together. This is where I'm at now