PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200ES Big red....Pull Start with no Battery????

Holdensr10
02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
I recently was given a honda 200es big red with a good motor but the wiring and frame was shot. I did some thinking and came up with the idea to convert it to a go devil motor with a few small modifications.

is it possible to pull start this motor with no battery? If not is there a way to bypass the cdi or change it out for fairly cheap to something that just uses the magneto in the motor itself to get fire?. Its just an experiment so i dont want to go to crazy money wise...

thanks!

Honda250RinNC
02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
sell /part the bike out! the 84 200ES (and its cousin the 84 TRX200) are rare and parts are hard to find for them since its a one year only shaft drive deal!

sp8twn
02-04-2013, 11:01 PM
will start with no battery Key on and Pull it!!!

kb0nly
02-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Dont even need a key....

All you need is four wires from the engine to the CDI, blue and green from the spark advancer/pulse gen, magneto output from engine, and a ground to the CDI, then the coil wire from the CDI to the coil, if you want a simple kill system wire a toggle switch from the ignition wire to ground on the CDI, switch on and grounded its killed. The two yellow wires from the engine are the alternator output, you can run simple lights off it, up to about 5 amps but its AC voltage, so you need to regulate it, you can rob the stock rectifier/regulator off the frame to use that.

All you need then is pull start and your good to go. Normally i would say don't do it to as they are a rarer beast, but hey if you do make it cool! If you want electric start thats pretty easy, just pull the starter solenoid from the frame, simple deal all you need is a button switch to energize the solenoid, battery cable to solenoid, and a cable from the solenoid to the starter. You can even charge the battery off the engine along with lighting as i mentioned.

I have seen something similar to what you want to do, the owner of it built a nice control panel with toggle switches for the kill switch and lights, push button for start. Only limited by your imagination. The 200ES motor being a shaft drive would be the perfect motor for that. If the frame is shot might as well give it some life elsewhere.

kaymo
02-05-2013, 02:42 AM
why would you want to use it on a boat? seems like an odd use for it. if you had said build a mini T bucket or something i would have gotten excited... boats are "eh". then again i cant swim so im biased

Holdensr10
02-10-2013, 01:10 PM
lol..i live in south lousiana. Every Camp i go to is only accesible by water and alot of times less that 4 inches. With this motor on my go devil i can make long runs that would normally take 45 mins to an hour

trike savior
02-10-2013, 01:43 PM
cool idea.
the magneto just generates electricity, you have to have something to tell when the spark event needs to occur, which is what cdi pulse generator does. what kbonly says sounds correct. if a wiring diagram will help you better do a google search "oscarmayer atc" the guy has all the atc service manuals posted for free. if you have the little cdi brain box its real easy to hook up. if the cdi system is same as honda 110's the key just grounds the cdi when its off so if you disconnect wires from key and kill switch you should get spark

kb0nly
02-10-2013, 04:53 PM
cool idea.
the magneto just generates electricity, you have to have something to tell when the spark event needs to occur, which is what cdi pulse generator does. what kbonly says sounds correct. if a wiring diagram will help you better do a google search "oscarmayer atc" the guy has all the atc service manuals posted for free. if you have the little cdi brain box its real easy to hook up. if the cdi system is same as honda 110's the key just grounds the cdi when its off so if you disconnect wires from key and kill switch you should get spark

Check my signature below... No need to search for manuals, i have them all in one place. I know the wiring on these ATC's like the back of my hand from all the electrical problems i have dealt with on them.

BigRedShaft
06-26-2017, 11:52 AM
This sounds like exactly what I need to do but am having a hard time visualizing what you're saying. Could you post a diagram for this as am a mechanical numbnut?