PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 85 Polaris P3 250r/es, what are they worth?

topfli8979
02-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Im looking at a 85 Polaris 3 wheeler 250r/es, guy says it been restored. Only visible problem is brake handle is bent, looks to be in good shape.
Anyone know what the resale value on one of these is, if I decide to sell?

Here is a few pictures.

M.Pargiello
02-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Hardly looks restored. Looks like a nice p3 with a bunch of spray painted parts. Foot boards and forks were bare metal and the racks were black to begin with. Looks really good though, $800-$1000 maybe?

After a closer inspection, the pipe is spray painted and doesn't even cover where it connects to the engine. Tank and fender are sprayed poorly as well. I believe the wheels were also gold. Id say $700 now, only if it runs good. This type of "restore" makes me question it's overall quality

topfli8979
02-09-2013, 10:16 PM
I thought that about the paint job also, he is asking $1,500.

jeswinehart
02-09-2013, 10:33 PM
I personally think the gold rims color was like a after thought so I painted mine Yamaha silver too.
The racks IMO would look much better if painted back to black.
Yep, couple of particulars to look for is if the starter works, as in works (not due to low battery or the sorts-battery are easy to replace~starters not so easy on those.)
Cracks in the tranny mount area, brakes okay, pivot bolts tight,,, lots of little things just as in any other trike of vintage status.
Tank emblems are being manufactured by member Howdy.
How the heck can a lever bend like that and not break ~ wow. Easly enough replaceable.
Resale ??? IMO simply said, these are one of those rare machines many folks say they would like to own but often don't want to pay much for.
Over all IMO ~ nice trike (paint the racks + put the American flag back on below the scramble emblem please).

john

Howdy
02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
$1500 is way much for the machine in this condition. It's not a restore IMO. It's a fixed up machine. With that said, it does look nice.

Things to look at:
Electric starter ( can take over 3 hrs to replace ), cracked tranny mounts at swing arm pins, Rear brake cable, throttle cable, swing arm bushings, motor mounts, engine compression, bent front forks / triple tree, clutch housing intact ( no wear holes ), drive belt, clutches ( you learn what to listen for when you have a fleet of them ), and minor other stuff.

If the items in the list above are all good then $500 - $800 is where I would be.
Howdy

fabiodriven
02-10-2013, 12:53 PM
These boys know their Scramblers. Me? Not so much.

One thing I can add though- If this is a new hobby to you, then I suggest you forget about keeping ahead in the money department. Hobbies cost money and this one is no exception. If you're in this to make money, I suggest you quit now. It's difficult to even break even with these things, but if you love them, it doesn't matter.

Back to the trike- I personally like the Scramblers very much. They're great machines. The example you posted is not a restore, however, and it's not worth $1500. Depending on mechanical condition (study what these guys told you check and check it all THOROUGHLY), it's more of a 6-800 dollar machine as stated. If the guy finds that insulting and doesn't want to deal, let some other sucker buy it.

topfli8979
02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
How are these trikes for working, I have a lawn aerator I need something to pull it with. I have owned 10-15 atv's over the years, but never a trike. Is there really only about 1500 of these bikes out there?

Howdy
02-10-2013, 08:51 PM
To me these machines are more for trail riding than work ( but that's me ). I am sure you could use it for work, but I would recommend putting a bigger sprocket on the rear to get more low end power. This would save the wear on the drive belt.
Howdy

M.Pargiello
02-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Probably far less than 1500, many have been parted and scrapped by now. Not to mention that polaris had a bunch traded back in for quads when the ban was coming down.

topfli8979
02-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Wow, I had no idea these trikes were that rare, sounds like a neat collectable anyway. Im going to look at it this week, will let you guys know if I pick it up.

topfli8979
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Went and looked at the bike, it will not start, has 132 compression,bright blue spark. The carb seems to be flooding the bike, guy said he can't find a needle and seat for this type carb? Is this gonna be a problem finding parts for the carb? i figured a 250 trailboss,blazer carb would be the same.

MIK6
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Went and looked at the bike, it will not start, has 132 compression,bright blue spark. The carb seems to be flooding the bike, guy said he can't find a needle and seat for this type carb? Is this gonna be a problem finding parts for the carb? i figured a 250 trailboss,blazer carb would be the same.
Polaris scramblers are known to fluid lock. When the float sticks the fuel will end up in the crank. Polaris even put a drain in the base. If you look under it w your head by the front tire looking at the motor you will see a oval hole running front to back on the front skid plate, at about a 45 degree angle thru that oval you will see a bolt on the motor. Use a long extension, put socket on after thru the skid and remove that bolt. Ill bet you see fuel, might need a wire to poke the hole if nothing comes out at first.
This has fixed my P3, howdys and swineharts all at tf. I also had to do this w my GFs 03 trailblazer and my 97 trailboss.

Good luck!!
MIK6/ Mike

Buck Snort
02-15-2013, 03:35 PM
I have never run across a Polaris trike, in my area. I think you should buy it and ship it to Canada. $$$$. I have enjoyed the 2 stroke Polaris quads I have had. I think that trike would be a blast.

Howdy
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Finding new carb parts is hard. If you do find some let me know. I have a need for 3 new needles & seats. I may end up trying to find a newer carb to replace them out.

Mik6 is 100% dead on correct on the drain. I would use the not starting part to get the machine cheaper.
Howdy

topfli8979
02-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Ok picked it up today, i took my own compression tester. COMPRESSION IS LOW like 60, thats the reason it wont run. So i offered $400 and he took it, hope I didnt lose my ass on this, but it seems to be a pretty neat bike. What am I looking at for rebuild, it have done may 250 polaris quad rebuilds. This gonna be more difficult?

fabiodriven
02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
$400 sounds like a really good deal!

topfli8979
02-17-2013, 05:10 PM
I though that was fair deal. Pulled the head when I got home, cylinder looks good, but piston does move side to side in the cylinder. So maybe just need new rings?

fabiodriven
02-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Don't cheap out. Mic it yourself or have it mic'd if you don't know how to do it right. You may get away with just rings, but you very well could need a bore.

Howdy
02-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Maybe I am too picky, but I replace rings and piston in my P3's when I rebuild them. I also have my local shop do all the cleaning, honing, boring ( as needed ).
Here is a link to some good top end kits: http://www.mfgsupply.com/atv/atvengine/atvenginepol/atvenginepolrebuild.html
I have been running these for years with only 1 failer. That failer was from sucking a god awfull amount of mud into the engine during a utility competition at TF ( 2007? ). I did take third place over all with it. Note: I would have done better but I didn't have any track practice. I seen it going on and pulled up and was the last person through the course. LOL

Howdy

MIK6
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Maybe I am too picky, but I replace rings and piston in my P3's when I rebuild them. I also have my local shop do all the cleaning, honing, boring ( as needed ).
Here is a link to some good top end kits: http://www.mfgsupply.com/atv/atvengine/atvenginepol/atvenginepolrebuild.html
I have been running these for years with only 1 failer. That failer was from sucking a god awfull amount of mud into the engine during a utility competition at TF ( 2007? ). I did take third place over all with it. Note: I would have done better but I didn't have any track practice. I seen it going on and pulled up and was the last person through the course. LOL

Howdy
AND when it sucked the mud it kept running.. WIDE OPEN! you did 1/2 the course w the thing dieseling on you! I got no clue how you made most of them obstacles lmao!!

MIK6/ Mike

M.Pargiello
02-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Im just about as anal. Ours got a new top end this fall, never a bad idea. You got a really great deal on it! But I paid about $350 less :) my buddy just wanted it out of his shop so I couldn't say no haha

Howdy
02-18-2013, 12:13 AM
AND when it sucked the mud it kept running.. WIDE OPEN! you did 1/2 the course w the thing dieseling on you! I got no clue how you made most of them obstacles lmao!!

MIK6/ Mike

The only reason it stayed wide open was because the mud bound up in the carb slide. Gave a whole new meaning to "Hold my beer and watch this!!"
Howdy

topfli8979
02-18-2013, 12:14 AM
ok thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know what the cylinder should mic out to be standard "stock" bore?

topfli8979
02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
machine shop is boring cylinder, new piston,gaskets on there way. Should arrive tuesday hopefully! Anyone know what the torque should be on the cylinder, cylinder head? ready to get this thing back on the road.

fabiodriven
02-21-2013, 07:43 PM
All of my trike engines I just go to 20 foot pounds. I'm sure someone can give you an exact number.

jeswinehart
02-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Please PM me 5 lotto numbers (with power ball too) :)

20 Ft. pounds per manual.

17 on the cases

topfli8979
02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
thanks guys.

MIK6
02-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Find that drain i mentioned while the motor is apart.. thats the 1st place I check when mine fights me to start.
Good luck w it!
MIK6/ Mike

topfli8979
02-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Ok got everything back from the shop, ready to tackle the reassembly of the p3. Forgive me if I ask a ignorant question, but have only rebuilt one 2 stroke. I got wsm piston kit 1.00 over standard. What should the ring end gap be? Or are they pre cut to fit?

jeswinehart
02-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Stock piston ring end gap is .008" - .016" so I would suppose it should be in that neighborhood.

topfli8979
02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Should the exhaust/intake port edges be rounded, on the inside of cylinder? Guy told me it would save from cutting/breaking rings.

jeswinehart
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Not my particular field of expertise but IMO a little port work (done properly) is a good thing.

ezmoney1979
02-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Should the exhaust/intake port edges be rounded, on the inside of cylinder? Guy told me it would save from cutting/breaking rings.
Yes, it is called port chamfering.

topfli8979
03-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Alright fellas, got the trike all back together. Only thing I need now is carb rebuild kit, anyone know where to find one? Can I use a polaris 250 carb kit from 90's?

Blown 331
04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Are you selling it now? I see it on craigslist. Not the first I've seen this one either. A guy on a polaris ATV forum sent me a PM in February. He asked if I was interested since I already have 4 of them. He said it appraised at $3700 and with a poster he has (I bought the same poster on ebay for like $7) it was appraised at $4000 for the set and he'd offer both to me for $3500. I let him down easy and told him to come here for more info and an idea on pricing. I told him I have less than half of that in all 4 of mine. And 3 of those run, I'm sure the 4th will, just haven't messed with it.
I probably would have taken it for $400 as you did, I mean I would seriously have driven for it.

honda200xguy
04-03-2013, 06:14 PM
looks like a $800-1000 dollar machine if its running.

Matt85'350x
05-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this up Mike. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my P3-it was running fine one day but then wouldn't start the next. I think it may have something to do with how full the tank is-I've never had it full till now. I spent a lot of time messing with spark plugs and starter fluid-even started taking off the plastics so I could get to the carb. Then I tried the trick you mentioned-a lot of gas poured out but then I was able to start it in the second pull!

Polaris scramblers are known to fluid lock. When the float sticks the fuel will end up in the crank. Polaris even put a drain in the base. If you look under it w your head by the front tire looking at the motor you will see a oval hole running front to back on the front skid plate, at about a 45 degree angle thru that oval you will see a bolt on the motor. Use a long extension, put socket on after thru the skid and remove that bolt. Ill bet you see fuel, might need a wire to poke the hole if nothing comes out at first.
This has fixed my P3, howdys and swineharts all at tf. I also had to do this w my GFs 03 trailblazer and my 97 trailboss.

Good luck!!
MIK6/ Mike

MIK6
05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this up Mike. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my P3-it was running fine one day but then wouldn't start the next. I think it may have something to do with how full the tank is-I've never had it full till now. I spent a lot of time messing with spark plugs and starter fluid-even started taking off the plastics so I could get to the carb. Then I tried the trick you mentioned-a lot of gas poured out but then I was able to start it in the second pull!
Im glad I was able to help! It's a handy P3 trick to know!

MIK6/ Mike