PDA

View Full Version : I've got "Hobby ADD"

wonderboy
02-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't know if anyone else suffers from this, but I have Hobby ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder).

I have too many hobbies (trikes included). I find that for some reason, something will trigger me to obsess about one of them (from a list of about 4 or 5) and that is all I'll be able to focus on for a few months.

For example, my son is in cub scouts and we do a model rocket launch in the spring with the entire pack. So this triggered my rocket building spree for the last few months. All my internet surfing was for model rocket info, looking on e-bay for kits, etc. All my hobby obsession was focused on model rockets. I built and flew rockts as a kid and had a ton of fun, so this sorta takes me back to being a kid. I guess all my hobbies really are all about reliving my childhood: model rockets, trikes, video games, pinball. (The 80's were a great time to be growing up!)

Last night, I saw the Nuclear Cowboys show (take a look at the other thread for more info) and now all I can do is think about spring and riding my trikes (and building a REALLY BIG jump and doing a backflip on the 350x... ). I honestly haven't really done anything with the trikes all winter (upgrades, repairs, riding, ANYTHING).

I'm not sure when the next trigger will hit me to jump into something else, but for now my ADD brain is back obsessing about trikes... and I gotta say if feels good. :)

Dirtweed
02-10-2013, 11:30 AM
You're not the only one. For me it's: Trikes, Quads, Fly fishing, Photography, Garden Tractors, Stereo Equipment, etc.....

All of them usually result in a bad case of G.A.S. = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It is next to impossible to cure.

shovelryder
02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Me to.........ATCs, RC planes and helis, harleys, old VWs, loooove restoring old campers, huge guitar fettish.....all instruments really............And airbrushing and pinstriping.......and......long walks on the beach......and beer.;)

wonderboy
02-10-2013, 01:24 PM
I left that one out, but I was big into the RC planes and helis for a while too. You can blow A LOT of money when you get a bad case of G.A.S.

The way I know I have a problem is that when I'm at work, I'll search craigslist for (insert item here) in the morning, then again before lunch, then after lunch, then again before I leave for home... just in case the deal of the century shows up. You don't want to miss it! But the deal never comes, and then I rationalize buying something else that has been on there forever. Better hurry before somebody else gets it! :)

Anyway, I'm glad that I'm not alone with this 'problem'.

bkm
02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
My problem is focusing on one trike. I have one that is ride ready, one that is 85% done, and one that is in the parts gathering stage. I need to complete one and then move on to the next one, but I tend to peck away at all of them from time to time. I can literally be working on one and get distracted by the other and start turning wrenches on it, right in the middle of working on the other.

Dirtweed
02-10-2013, 05:23 PM
The way I know I have a problem is that when I'm at work, I'll search craigslist for (insert item here) in the morning, then again before lunch, then after lunch, then again before I leave for home... just in case the deal of the century shows up. You don't want to miss it! But the deal never comes, and then I rationalize buying something else that has been on there forever. Better hurry before somebody else gets it! :)

I work at home....guess how many time I check CL for the deal of the century? :)

JasonB
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
lol i know how it goes! Heres a small portion of my active hobby list :D

Skating, snowboarding, mod'ing my new 2003 Lightning, mod'ing my turbo 91 mr2, working on the 310R, shopping for a tecate500, working on my house making my own beer road bikes and riding stupid miles when its nice out, riding my gary fisher mountain bike at the park, playing with my boxer and lab whenever possible at the park, entertaining my gf :naughty:

used to be fishing and shooting and riding go karts when i was growing up lol

bigbore88
02-11-2013, 03:19 PM
yeah i have a few myself trikes snowshoeing huning fishing camping i metal detect colect old coins bottles play guitar n bass like to drink thats a hobby right lol just too much stuff not enought time lol oh i forgot bowling shootin pool throwin darts and snowboarding