PDA

View Full Version : turbo

daniels85200x
02-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Has anyone ever put a turbo on a three wheeler in here?

ngunter2
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
can you? Is it even possible?

fabiodriven
02-11-2013, 10:37 AM
There have been more than one attempt at turbo charging a trike on these boards. I tried searching for some threads, but only came up with these two. Our search function on this site has always been a let-down.

If I remember correctly, there may have been one, and only one, trike that was turbo charged correctly. The problem is, people take a small turbo from a small car and they think that it's so small it could work on a trike. Unfortunately, even a very small car is still 1600-1800cc's, which is massively larger than a 250cc trike engine. The turbos always seem too big to do any good at all. I'm sorry I couldn't find the threads I was looking for.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/87117-turbo-charged-honda?highlight=turbo+big+red

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/98135-Turbo-Big-Red-250-Project?highlight=turbo+big+red

manbearpig
02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
An ex mod from .org has a turbo'd xr500 trike. Yes, it's possible.

But unless you're a plumber with an engineering degree, you're in for an absolute nightmare

fabiodriven
02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
But unless you're a plumber with an engineering degree, you're in for an absolute nightmare

I disagree with this statement. There really isn't much to the mechanical aspect of turbocharging. The hard part comes with the tuning. A turbo charger has one oil inlet and one oil outlet. The oil can be plumbed into the bikes oiling system or could be powered by a stand-alone oiling system just for the turbo. It has one fresh air inlet, and one fresh air outlet, which gets plumbed to the intake of the engine. It has one exhaust inlet (where the spent exhaust gasses turn the compressor wheel) and one exhaust outlet. Finding the room for plumbing and mounting the turbo can be challenging, but it's far from rocket science.

JasonB
02-11-2013, 11:25 AM
I have been playing with turbos on cars for almost a decade now, the only tough parts I see for turbo charging a bike would be creating a manifold for it and making sure you give it enough fuel. I have heard that 2 strokes are almost impossible to do because they dont have a consistent exhaust stream unless they have more than one piston creating regular gas flow to spool the turbo. Im 99% sure I have seen a 500cc bike that mymint has over on .org that is turbo'd. I guess if you have some basic tools and a welder than there's a way lol

trike savior
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
its possible but you do not want a car turbo. i have seen turbo kits for my old 78 honda cb 750. its a tiny little bugger and would be the right thing to use. i have also heard of turbocharged hyabusas which might be easier to find kit for. cool idea but like manbear pig said it takes alot of work making the piping to hook it all up. and not quite sure how you would tap into the engines oil pump for the turbo or if that could drop volume from pump enough to hurt top end.

ngunter2
02-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I just found this turbo kit ... If you can put it together i guess its mission accomplished! :w00t: :)

http://www.chinese-parts-canada.com/turbocharger_fuel_injection.html

fabiodriven
02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
That's actually quite affordable.

ngunter2
02-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Ya, Thats what i was thinking. Are you crazy enough fabiodriven? New project??? :)

RIDE-RED 250r
02-11-2013, 07:51 PM
I friend of mine put a turbo kit on his '91 Indy 650 sled back in about '93 when the big dogs on the lakes started playing around with them.

His has a limiter switch... High boost (about 12 lbs) and low boost (about 7-8 lbs). Plumbing the system itself wasn't that bad, but the custom (airtight) airbox was a trick. He also had to run pressure lines to all 3 of the carb slide caps as the throttle slides wouldn't always drop down when letting off the throttle when higher intake pressure was present :O . That basically assures equal pressure above and below the throttle slides to assure neutrality and in turn proper carb throttle function.. kind of like how old school power steering works. Next an auxillary fuel pump with power jets was needed to kick on when a certain boost pressure is achieved to supply that burst of extra fuel along with the riseing intake pressure. His old piston ported Indy 650 was somwhere around 110 or so HP in stock config, but after the turbo it dynoed at about 140hp on low boost and over 160hp with full boost. Pretty impressive.

Thats the basics of what he had to do, but yes, a turbo can and does work on a 2-stroke. People turbo-ify 2-strokes on sleds quite a bit.. But I have never heard of turbo-ifying a 2-stroke wheeler.....Not saying it has not or cannot happen though. :)

It's definitely not exactly a bolt on and go undertaking unless you buy a kit designed for your application. Custom stuff gets a bit tricky.

big specht
02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
One of my buddys put a turbo a 350x pulling bike and on of they guys we race 70 with has one on a 70 with a 125 motor in it I will try to find some pics

puffine
02-12-2013, 01:26 AM
it's all about getting a small enough turbo and tuning. http://www.honda-zoomer-tuning.de/honda-zoomer-project-raucous/ Panducky started an ambitious project a couple of years back by turboing a crf 450 motor with nitrous in a ruckus, unfortunately due to the economy he had to shut down shop and the project was never finished as far as i know. All the pictures are expired and these are the only ones that i could find.

fabiodriven
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Ya, Thats what i was thinking. Are you crazy enough fabiodriven? New project??? :)

The link with the tiny turbo certainly got the gears in my head turning, but I've got too many projects already!

trike savior
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
just keep in mind
if you are gonna try this
that big red who tried it first in fabios first post said he used separate oiling system for turbo
and ride red 250r 's buddy did it on two stroke snowmobile so he had to use separate oiling system for turbo
just want to stress that i think tapping into engines oiling system could starve top end for oil
and with heat a turbo can make i wouldnt just use an oil box and mini pump but incorporate an oil cooler of some kind.

awesome idea though i hope somebody tries this and posts project on forum

fabiodriven
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
just want to stress that i think tapping into engines oiling system could starve top end for oil

I disagree. I think the engine's oiling system would hold up just fine. The turbo isn't going to "take away" from the oil going to the top end. As long as everything is within tolerances then the entire oiling system should keep the correct pressure. If the entire oiling system is pressurized, there is no way that the turbo can "steal" oil pressure from the top end.

I wish I could find the threads I was looking for.

trike savior
02-12-2013, 01:25 PM
oiling system is basically an engineered leak. oil gets forced out through tight tolerances, keeping pressure up. from my understanding of turbos the oil pocket of turbo around bearings is just that, a pocket filled with oil lubricating ball bearings. and a return line to keep oil moving. there is nothing to slow oil movement so the turbo is not an engineered leak but a volume and pressure robber. in a car with a giant oil pump this is no big deal but have you seen how tiny the oil pumps are in these 4 stroke bikes.
im no expert on turbos, this is just my deductive reasoning. from what i currently know and what i am seeing others do, like 250 you posted. and either way if doing 2 stroke you have no choice but to run separate oiling system unless its trike or dirt bike i guess you could use trans as your sump, still need a pump.

i'm not calling you a liar and if you can find any articles i would like to read it.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
The turbo on my friend's sled utilizes a self contained bath type oiling system. It's very basic, has pretty good capacity to deal with heat and works well. Just make sure and change the oil regularly. But remember how I said this was put on back in '93, this was the very early days of bolt-on turbos designed specifically for sleds. And truth be told with all the other customization he had to do to make it work, I would hardly call it "bolt-on" anyway. What he has isn't nearly as sophisticated as the turbo setup on a modern turbocharged sled like a Z-1 Turbo Arctic Cat with a full aftercooler and all. This turbo on the old Indy doesn't even run a cooler, it just pulls fresh air. It is installed in place of the silencer of the sled.

But Trike Savior, I really doubt plumbing oil supply to a turbo would starve the valvetrain of oil enough to say so. But that is just my instinct on the matter. Maybe if possible a turbo with a self contained oil system like my buddy's sled has would be the better way to go?? IDK... But it sure is fun to talk about!!

rlgeorgejr
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Its possible they make small enough turbos thats the cheap part of it all whats going to cost you is that your going to have to but an electronic fuel injection and for those kits alone your looking at 1000 to 1500 just for that that is the main thing to worry about when turbo chargeing something they make the kits i cant remember who right off the bat thou ill find out and let you know

ngunter2
02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I posted a link further back!!! Its not half bad

85drag250r
02-14-2013, 07:18 PM
If you want to find out what it takes to "turbo" a 2 stroke engine call Dan Hull @ A&S Racing. He has built a few turbo 2 strokes and has set ET records with his stuff