PDA

View Full Version : A few Tri Z questions

Tas Wheeler
02-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi there all,

Recently bought an 85 Tri Z that had had a rough life.
The frame had a crack in it in between the radiatos that had been "repaired" as such. Anyways I took it home got everything up to a rideable standard and have been having a blast on it until the inevitable happened and the frame re cracked again.
I had originally planned to buy a replacement frame when this happened and take the chance while it was appart to restore it.
Since owning it I came accross a fellow who has owned three wheelers since the 80's and had three Tri Z over that time, he still has one now that is in nice condition that im trying to help him part ways with.
He seemed to think it is a common problem for the Z, especially now with their age and that it could possibly be repaired and strenghtend.
Is this true because I havn't read any mention of it on here or other sites and if so what have you guys done to repair and strenghten etc. Any pics of what you have done.
Also occasionally the elbow that connects the suction hose to the engine comes lose while riding. Whats the best solutions to repair this.

Check the pics below.

Cheers Matt.

Nasty 1
Nasty 2
Nasty 3
loose elbow

badass350x
02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
I myself have never seen the z frame crack there, the fitting I would clean up really good with rubbing alcohol and put it back in with JB weld or a high temp silicon. I have a frame that's freshly painted for sale with or without a title, in other words I can get the title for it if you are Interested!

Tas Wheeler
02-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the reply badass350x,
Yeh its a rather nasty crack, who knows how the old owner managed to do it.

Cheers.

Tas Wheeler
02-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Oh yeh PM sent regarding frame

ktmcrasher
02-17-2013, 08:22 AM
could that be something to do with a 4 wheeler conversion? just looking at this one on ebay
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/krmcrasher/T2eC16NHJGIE9nnWpUMZBRGB4sKPtg60_12_zps0da8a1be.jp g

Tas Wheeler
02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Not 100% ktmcrasher and im sure i'll be corrected if im wrong but as far as i know they only converted the 86 where mine is an 85.

Cheers Matt.

ktmcrasher
02-17-2013, 06:01 PM
maybe i dont know, its just all i can think of unless someone beat the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of it. im sure someone on here will know all the known weak spots on the tri z.

Tas Wheeler
02-17-2013, 08:52 PM
maybe i dont know, its just all i can think of unless someone beat the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of it. im sure someone on here will know all the known weak spots on the tri z.

Oh yeh the previous owner surely did beat thetrailpro trailpro trailpro trailpro out of it, almost as much as you beat the trailpro trailpro trailpro trailpro out of yours :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=snLHDJNBORs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsnLHDJNBORsc

I've been keeping a close eye on your rebuild, been loving all the new shinny stuff, especially those Douglas wheels. It's going to look sweet as once its done.

ktmcrasher
02-18-2013, 01:07 PM
haha, glad you like the build & good luck with yours. ive got more shiny stuff driving tomorrow hopefully so i will post pictures

poolieZerUK
02-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Corrosion in the tubes mine went same way, replaced it with one off ebay £60

Tas Wheeler
02-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Corrosion in the tubes mine went same way, replaced it with one off ebay £60

That does make sense, now that I think about it.:idea:

Thanks for the reply