PDA

View Full Version : testing a fl501ac coil

1980atc_110
02-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone, new member here.

Just picked up an 80 atc 110. She doesn't run, no spark. does anyone now how I can test the fl501ac coil on her to eliminate that as the culprit?

Thanks!

trike savior
02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
un plug headlight and switch and handle bar kill switch. all behind head light. take off points cover (on head) use volt meter and put one wire on engine and other wire on points wire. should show continuity when points touch and no continuity when apart. if that doesnt do it check markrb profile or google search "oscar mayer atc" to find free service manuals that will show how to test

trike savior
02-16-2013, 12:03 AM
sorry, disconnect switches and head lights AND PULL START AND CHECK FOR SPARK. then check points and do tests

trike savior
02-16-2013, 12:39 AM
sorry again, copy and pasted wrong member name who has manuals, its kb0nly

1980atc_110
02-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the response. I'll try those tests and post my results.

1980atc_110
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Well I disconnected all of the wires you said and still no spark. I checked the points with an ohm meter (one lead on the points wire, and the other lead to ground) and I get 2.5 ohms regardless of whether they are opened or closed:wondering.

1980atc_110
02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Found the online service manuals and did the test again with an ohmmeter, this time I grounded 1 lead and put the other lead on the point spring like the procedure in the manual said to. I still get resistance when the points are open? I'm using a digital fluke meter for my tests. when the points are open shouldn't the meter say OL? I would assume that when the points are open it should be like the leads aren't touching hence the OL on the display?

trike savior
02-17-2013, 10:26 PM
thats correct. follow that points spring from arm over to points mounting frame. that is where the spring meets with the wire that goes to coil. the bolt/nut that the 2 go on should go through points frame but it should be insulated by plastic pieces. that one place it should be able to ground out. unplug points from harness and test again, its possible the harness to coil is grounded somewhere

1980atc_110
02-18-2013, 02:56 PM
My results were with the points wire unplugged. I'll have to see if I can figure out if it's grounded out somewhere.

1980atc_110
02-19-2013, 10:35 AM
thats correct. follow that points spring from arm over to points mounting frame. that is where the spring meets with the wire that goes to coil. the bolt/nut that the 2 go on should go through points frame but it should be insulated by plastic pieces. that one place it should be able to ground out. unplug points from harness and test again, its possible the harness to coil is grounded somewhere

We gots spark! :w00t: Good call on the insulating washers. Apparently at one time or another someone disassembled the points and put them back together incorrectly. Swapped everything around to correct, gave her a pull and got a nice fat blue spark.

Brought the carb to work today for a quick cleaning/rebuild. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a little time to get her all back together, and hopefully she'll run!