PDA

View Full Version : Howdy, Simple Fix or something worse (New Carb 85 - 110)

Micekar
02-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Howdy 3WW I am new on this site as a matter of fact I just registered yesterday. I have been following blogs on your different items for a while now. Ok so here is the down and dirty on my situation. My friend has a 1985 atc 110 which was in good shape. He decided he wanted to tear it down and restore it. Being from Louisiana we have a problem with metal just deteriorating, and his bike had some surface rust and what not. So we have the frame looking awesome, we put new rings on the original piston, because it had low compression, we dropped a new performance cam in from DrATV. I also told him it would be smart to replace the old carb with a new one, because his was disgusting. The entire bowl was filled with what we dubbed ethanol applesauce. Well we got the motor put back together; I am almost 100% certain it is in time. The TDC mark matches the O mark on the cam sprocket is at the mark on the head, all this while the valves are closed, so I am pretty sure it is in time. "Problem" new carb will not send fuel to the motor. It will roll over and purr beautifully when we put carb cleaner straight in, but only till it runs out. The bowl of the new carb has fuel in it. I checked the drain and what not. I am just mystified I have not taken the new carb apart yet. Could it be jets loose or something like that or do yall think its worse? It’s driving me crazy Thank yall for yalls help

HappyTrail
02-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Clogged pilot jet or pilot screw is turned in to far. Turn screw in slow Just until it seats then turn it out 1 1/2 turns. Fine tune it from there. Does it run when you throttle it? Then it's definitely something with the pilot jet. Good luck.

trike savior
02-17-2013, 12:06 AM
sounds like you might have intake leaks. there should be an oring on the carb where it bolts to manifold. and between the carb and manifold there is a thick plastic gasket called the insulator. one side of insulator is smooth and other side has raised circles. smooth side faces o-ring and carb.

so it should be carb and o ring, then insulator, then paper gasket, then intake manifold. and should also be a gasket between manifold and head.

if it runs on ether as you say timing and everything else is all good

yaegerb
02-17-2013, 12:16 AM
The jets may be clogged, but its a new carb....take it apart and blow the pilot and main out with compressed air. What does the spark plug look like after you pull the rope a few times?...is the plug wet? If so, then you may have a weak spark...which will detonate starting fluid but not regular gas. Let us know what you find.

Micekar
02-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Howdy yall,
Well today led to a breakthrough. I got to wondering about the old carb and i was just going to give it a try I had no luck so far. I took the old carb and cleaned it thouroughly put it on the bike and whala it runs. So I don't know if I should send the carb we bought back or just keep it for parts but I want to thank yall for yalls help I put a new plug in and checked all the manifolds. The manifold in between the carb and intake tube wasn't tight enough at first so that probably did not help the situation. The Plug was good but i had a spare so i'm pretty excited that we got it running I just don't understand why the new one didn't fire right up.:beer

Handy Andy
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Where did you buy the new carb?

Micekar
02-18-2013, 11:02 PM
I got it off EBay from Super Star Direct I emailed them today, and they are going to exchange it. I realized after I had it running that I had put the new throttle barrel slide (sorry don't know correct term) in the old carb, that made it run better than it did before we tore it down. So I have to have a new carb, I just think that the small port at the front of the new carb has something wrong with it, that is the only area that I can even imagine I am having trouble. Once I got the motor running I saw a few other issues I was having. Then I figured I would give the new one a shot again since I knew it wasn't the motor. But to no avail it just wouldn't pull the fuel out of the bowl. Once they exchange the one I am sending them back tomorrow I am sure I will get it all tuned up, but this has been hard on my friend he doesn't like taking things that have sentimental value apart and when we couldn't get it running I thought he was going to shoot me.