PDA

View Full Version : New atc owner questions

Epic69
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I have purchased a 1980 honda 185 with intentions of restoring it. First off biggest issue I have is the gas tank is severly rusted inside, has many pin holes (its a sprinkler). Decals in good shape. What are my best options for this issue? Can it be repaired with jb weld and lined with redkote then repainted leaving original decals?

Where would I get the orange paint for a 1980 honda 185?

Whats the value of a restored 1980 185? 500? more?

The plastics on this one dont look orange to me but I dont have anything to compare against, ive seen pictures on internet of same ones and i see its the same but its not bright orange like i was thinking.

Also am i better off getting a carb rebuild kit or just buying a new carb?

How big of a job is to replace timing chain? I suspect timing is off, its hard to start and i hear a slapping sound when it does start. Pull start if i dont hold the compression release almost pulls my arm out of socket, very hard to pull over most times.

Thanks All!

trike savior
02-18-2013, 09:09 PM
500 is about as good as youll get for a nice one
shouldnt be orange honda is red.
jb weld on tank is fine and you can kote the inside or try metal rescue. (used with good luck)
either way get a small filter for fuel line. will save many carb removals.
timing chain not hard depending on skill level. before replacement check your timing marks line up and proper tension on chain

dustrunner
02-18-2013, 09:33 PM
i just rebuild the carb ...

barnett468
02-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I have purchased a 1980 honda 185 with intentions of restoring it. First off biggest issue I have is the gas tank is severly rusted inside, has many pin holes (its a sprinkler). Decals in good shape. What are my best options for this issue? Can it be repaired with jb weld and lined with redkote then repainted leaving original decals?

Where would I get the orange paint for a 1980 honda 185?

Whats the value of a restored 1980 185? 500? more?

The plastics on this one dont look orange to me but I dont have anything to compare against, ive seen pictures on internet of same ones and i see its the same but its not bright orange like i was thinking.

Also am i better off getting a carb rebuild kit or just buying a new carb?

How big of a job is to replace timing chain? I suspect timing is off, its hard to start and i hear a slapping sound when it does start. Pull start if i dont hold the compression release almost pulls my arm out of socket, very hard to pull over most times.

Thanks All!

Hello

The gas tank needs to be thrown away. It is a gas tank which translates to "bomb". You might want to risk your own life by fixing it but it would incomprehensible to think of fixing it to make a few extra dollars when you sell it, then have the buyer burn up if it leaks and catches on fire.

If the timing chain is making noise or loose it's probably the guides. you should replace them. The chain should be cheap if you want to do that also. It's easy to do if you've done it before but it sounds like you haven't so you might need some help. Depends on your level of mechanical experience.

Your local automotive paint store can match and mix it for you if you find a sample or if you can't find a match in spray cans. spray cans usually don't give a nice finish on plastic anyway. Hondas are fire engine red or ferrari red [lighter]on later models not orange at all as far as i know. red plastic fades to either orange or maroon in the sun.

if the carb looks reasonably un crusty then rebuilt it, it's cheap and easy. just sprat carb cleaner through all the jets and holes.

MonroeMike
02-18-2013, 10:53 PM
http://www.venustel.com/~tkeister/workzone/80-185.htm

Epic69
02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Update I have found a good condition 1980 185 gas tank and will be going with that for the restore. Thanks for all the answers they are helpful!

M.Pargiello
02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
500 is about as good as youll get for a nice one
shouldnt be orange honda is red.
jb weld on tank is fine and you can kote the inside or try metal rescue. (used with good luck)
either way get a small filter for fuel line. will save many carb removals.
timing chain not hard depending on skill level. before replacement check your timing marks line up and proper tension on chain

Just a little off IMO. I'd say around $800 for a nice one. And the 1980 185 is, in fact orange. Not a bright orange, but it is nonetheless.

Epic69
02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Any idea of paint codes for a 1980 185?

Also how do i remove the front forks?

Thanks!

kebby28
02-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Allot of your info is searchable here. Some folks here have said its easier to take the forks apart to get the boots on rather than try to slide them out of the clamps, but I'm not sure. Haven't replaced my boots yet. And, JB weld does not work for patching gas tanks. The fuel gets between the surface and the JB and it falls right off... Try adjusting your timing chain and then the advanced spark. But I have always found when it runs like s*** the ignition coil needs to be replaced.

trike savior
02-19-2013, 09:33 PM
jb weld works just fine you have to do it right. remove cap and keep off so vapors do not effect jb weld. remove petcock if tank has one. sand it well so jbweld has something to bite into. before applying clean with ether or brake kleen. apply and let sit for few days. it needs to cure longer than it says on tube before you throw gas at it.

lazy people have problems with jb weld on gas tanks

either way if you found a tank that didnt break the bank good for you use it.

Epic69
02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm thinking I may be able to rescue the current tank, it will require sanding the outside, taping over the decals and painting in the original orange color but I think thats my only logical choice. I cant spend over 200 on an original used gas tank. I'm thinking if i do a good job of using Redkote on the inside then should be an issue with using JB weld over the pin holes on the outside afterwards. As long as I do it right. Thanks!

Epic69
02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Here is a pic of the original with pin holes shown. 163390

Epic69
04-25-2013, 06:39 PM
What are thoughts with Powdercoat vs prime and spray paint? How well will a good prime and paint job hold up compared to powdercoat?

Gator72007
04-26-2013, 05:17 AM
I have been using quick steel on my 250sx tank, and it works great.
it will cure while exposed to gas or under water.
its sandable and paintable, ive used it in a pinch while out riding.
I sand to bare metal, with 80 grit then apply to leaking area, then sand/paint as desired

Easy to work with being a solid, instead of a liquid like jb.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Service/quiksteel_epoxy_putty.htm

barnett468
04-26-2013, 06:04 AM
What are thoughts with Powdercoat vs prime and spray paint? How well will a good prime and paint job hold up compared to powdercoat?

Hello

That question is tantamount to asking what the difference is between a Hundai and a Ferrari, their both cars but...Powdercoat is much harder, more scratch and fade resistant and more durable overall when PROPERLY applied, not when applied by your neighbor in his garage.

OEM paint can be found at colorrite.com, see my post at the url below. Just click on it.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/156758-Oem-frame-and-body-paint-available-here?highlight=OEM+PAINT

weedan01
04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
I ran a radiator shop and we did gas tank repair daily.
JB weld can be used but generally doesn't last very long. Depending on the size of holes, there is a couple options. We use Redcote to line the tanks and it will seal pinholes and seeps. Larger holes needs brazed. Do NOT use Kreme liner, its junk. Meradic acid will clean rust and old gas out.