PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fuel-93 Octane

beets442
02-18-2013, 05:54 PM
I dont know about you guys but I keep my gas cans CRAZY EXTRA CLEAN cause I dont like to clean carbs,its easier to change a filter. I notice after a year or so that there is fine particles in the bottom my gas can. I flush/shake and pour whats left in the can maybe a 1/2 quart or so out in an oil container for disposal.
This last year,3rd week of Sept 2012, I cleaned this 2 1/2 gallon gas can for a special ride with friends and used fresh 93 octane. Today I opened that can and noticed it didnt look right,so I poured what was left into 2 glass jars to see if I could see those particles. This is what I got.
Top half of gas on left
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/beets442/gas_zps59975c94.jpg
Right jar.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/beets442/photo_zpsd69177c6.jpg

yaegerb
02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Looks like the pumps you are using need to be cleaned. That looks like rust from the fuel tank at the station. Maybe try a newer station.

El Camexican
02-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Not surprised at all. Think about the rusting tanker trucks, the crud that falls in the tanks when they go to pump the fuel in, decaying hoses and pump parts. It all adds up. I used to open my old automotivbe fuel filters to see what was in there. Made me sick! Add in 10% Ethanol to draw water out of the air and its just a big disgusting mess.

Matrix
02-19-2013, 11:53 AM
I just put a new base gasket on my 84r and it was running good for an hour and now it sounds like it has bad gas. I bought all new 93 octane and still have the same issue. I wonder if my station (a relatively recent sunoco) has bad 93 octane like yours? Gas isn't real gas anymore anyhow :(

El Camexican
02-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Gas isn't real gas anymore anyhow :(

Yea, I'm starting to think our Pemex Premium is the best fuel I can get out of a pump these days. It's dirty and they cheat you on the volumn, but its all gas.

beets442
02-19-2013, 01:24 PM
A couple hours later the right jar cleared up/water settled. I'm not sure but it might be a combo of both,gas station suks and moisture being drawn out of the air.
Now it did rain when I was riding that weekend but the gas can stayed in the trailer and then stored in the garage.
Bottom line is this fuel suks these days and a stabilizer is needed, my other gas cans have it but this one didnt.
I went to the enzyme treatment and seems to work good.
The only gas station that has regular fuel is 40mi away,in an airport.
I would like to know if anyone else has this stuff in their gas cans also from storage.
Thanxs Beets

rdlsz24
02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
I haven't noticed crud in my cans but I do notice that even 93 goes bad after a month or so. My Stihl string trimmer wouldn't even run one time. I thought I had fouled the plug but it was just old gas.

I've been watching The Walking Dead show and it makes me laugh how they are going on a year now with no new gas and just siphon gas for their cars whenever they can. That gas would have gone bad long ago. My wife says I'm analyzing too much

Rob

beets442
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Well it made me wonder about my mixed can(5 gal) so I used a coffee filter and filtered out the 3 gal. that was left,this can never leaves the garage and was cleaned out Jan of 2012.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/beets442/filter_zps2730ac98.jpg
I took a magnet to it and a little less than half stuck to it.

JasonB
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
wow! you guys have me worried now. Im paranoid about my 93 and try to only get it at the new mobil1 station by house. I avoid certain gas stations that look older just because im always paranoid about putting bad gas in my turbo car/ supercharged truck that require it

Kickstand 1
02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
We have gas in a 8000 mile original 1968 Gto. I have not put new gas in it in 15 years. It fires right up and I have no problem with that old gas in it. Now I put 104 octain in it when I got gas 15 years ago. I'm with the whole new gas is crap and the crap that comes out of the pump. I put 93 octain in my 106cc ATC 90 motor and I needed to drain it two months later and it looked like the jar up top on the right. I thought it was just from my tank on that bike till I started draining my other bikes to find out what was up. They are all the same. Look like crap.

Honda250RinNC
02-20-2013, 05:31 AM
I mainly use R90 IN EVERYTHING i can. vehicles and ATV's. its the ethanol free Rec fuel. find it at alot of Sunoco stations and boat ramps.

tri again
02-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Hard to get airport gas but some boat docks allow hi oct non eth fuel.

Yupp, very disturbing.
I go 93 non ethanol with a splash o' seafoam and keep the tanks full within an inch of the top.
They'll start right up every spring, parked under cover outside for 9 months?
..except for the 2 or 3 we run all winter.

I Gotta remember non full gas cans will condensate too.
Special trip to funky small town for gas in logging country but waaay better than tearing carbs apart.
I love the old glass sediment bowl on my tractor.

kb0nly
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
This is nothing new, i adapted to ethanol blended fuel a long time ago. We don't even have straight gas here anymore, all ethanol blended, blender pumps for various grades of ethanol, etc.

Sealed air tight gas cans make a big difference! I also treat every container of fuel with Stabil, and i have lifetime fuel filters on every motor, take em apart clean em and keep on running. I know one local station here seems to have a lot of sediment in its fuel. Their underground tanks are the old coated steel tanks, another station in town has fiberglass underground tanks and i never seem to get junk in the filters from them. The supplier for both stations is the same, so its not the supplier or truck etc.. Its how the gas is stored. I never get gas on Weds.... Never... All the stations here get their deliveries on Weds, when the truck is dumping into the tank it stirs the sediments and water in the tank and you will end up pumping that crap out. After 24 hours of settling i have found its ok.

I have a gas jug that i have been testing now, its sealed, holds a vacuum to keep moisture out, and it has a hose and hand pump that looks like a gas hose at the station, it also has a prefilter on it to strain and filter the gas going into the tank i am filling. So far i don't know if its making much of a difference and i still treat with Stabil, but anything helps when filling these small engines.

Most vehicles go through enough fuel that it doesn't go bad, if you have a vehicle that sits for weeks or months at a time then you can get the same troubles, but most of us drive daily which doesn't let problems set in.

kebby28
02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Now you guys got me siphoning the 100 gallons out of my boat and running it through my truck. And in the spring I will prolly spend the extra and fill up at the dock. I have just been running regular 89 in my wheelers without a problem but I run them often...

kb0nly
02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Now you guys got me siphoning the 100 gallons out of my boat and running it through my truck. And in the spring I will prolly spend the extra and fill up at the dock. I have just been running regular 89 in my wheelers without a problem but I run them often...

For the boat i would dump in some Stabil and run it a bit to circulate the fuel before storage and then not worry about it, all the boat owners around here do that. But with the current gas prices if i owned a boat i would be siphoning it too.... LOL

tri again
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
X2

I have a 61 Triumph that I use as a fuel storage device in the winter, just like your boat.

Best gas I can find and use that gas in the summer and replace it for the winter, full and stabil or seafoam.
Seems to stay ok and the safest way to keep that gas tank pretty.