PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Soda Fountain??

kb0nly
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
The latest project to end all projects... Well not really but it sounded cool... So soda prices are getting out of hand here for some reason, $1.50 for a 20oz bottle, $5.29 for a six pack of 24oz bottles... Insane...

So i started doing the math and playing around with making my own. The Syrup isn't that hard to get and there is plenty of generic forms of the popular ones, such as Cola and Mt Dew. The price break on using generic syrup is pretty big, a 5 gal BIB (bag in box) of Mt Beverage by Fox's Beverages runs $36.99, you can get it cheaper if you buy multiple boxes, but that box will make 160 20oz servings, 160x1.50=$240 in equivalent store bought bottled products. The syrup is 5-1 ratio, so for a gallon of syrup you make five gallons hence a box makes 25 gallons. That usually takes about 5lbs of CO2 to run the carbonator and the syrup pumps. A refill is about $20 on that tank, add that to the syrup cost and you have $56.99 invested to make the same amount of soda, thats $183.01 in savings and at my average of two glasses per day with meals or to grab a quick drink i can stretch it out to last me at least two months per box.

So this left me thinking.... How can i build this? I got a SodaStream for Christmas, i love it but their syrups are less than desireable flavor wise and they are expensive when you do the math. It was around $.60 a bottle to make them using the SodaStream, while cheaper than the store its a lot of work to save a little money, not to mention that they RAPE you on the CO2 exchange. The little bottles for the SodaStream cost $15 per exchange, i can exchange a 5lb tank for $20!!

So while i was saving some money using my SodaStream and i bought BIB syrup and spigots to dispense from them to mix my own to maximize flavor and savings i started the hunt. I finally came across a complete system on eBay, well complete except in pieces because someone cut all the hoses up to remove the system, but it was still a good deal, came with bags of fittings and spare parts, maintenance and testing tools, you name it. I just needed to install it all.

Here is what i started with, a pile of parts.

After scrubbing all the parts, tearing everything apart, cleaning, sanitizing, i got to the point where i could install it all. I bought all new tubing, new Oetiker clamps, the tool was included with the system so that was a bonus, and i started to plan its install. I added a shelf in my kitchen for the dispenser, drilled a hole in the floor, and got all the tubing and wiring done. It has a 24v low voltage power supply to run the solenoid valves in the dispenser. I also had to add an outlet protected by a GFCI breaker to plug in the power supply and the carbonator pump, and i had to add a water supply line to feed the system as well. In this batch of pictures you can see the equipment shelf which houses the carbonator, power supply, syrup pumps, regulators for water and co2 to the pumps, and then below that shelf is the boxes of syrup and the CO2 regulator for the tank which wasn't hooked up yet in this shot.

I learned a lot about setting these up, adjusting the mixture or testing the brix as they call it, and making adjustments. The dispenser heads needed to be torn down and cleaned and new o-rings installed to seal up some weeping leaks. It was actually a lot of fun learning everything and figuring it out as i went. The whole system is installed in the basement with a 20 foot run of lines up to the kitchen. Here is a shot of the testing kit, and an adapter hose i made for running the pumps off compressed air. I found some forums with info on these systems and many of the posts mentioned how much CO2 your system will go through just purging the lines as the pumps are gas powered and run off the CO2. Well the manufacturers specs on the pumps say they can be used with CO2, compressed air, oxygen, nitrogen. I have an air compressor with an accurate regulator so i made an adapter to power each pump one at a time to purge the lines, sanitize them, then purge again with syrup, that would have taken a lot of extra CO2 to have those pumps just slowly chugging away at reduced pressure as shown in the startup instructions, you purge at 20psi to get a low pump speed, then go up to 55psi for normal operation. Now i can change to air and sanitize and purge the system with no additional cost whenever needed.

So i got the whole setup into operation, i did discover my water regulators gauge was stuck, i picked up a replacement at the local Menards. And my carbonators impeller pump has a 2-3 drip per hour weep hole leak, the seal is starting to weep on it. But i found a company right here in MN that remanufactures the Procon pump housings, and they are cheap and come with a one year warranty on parts and labor. I bought a reman pump from them and i plan on shipping my old pump to them to be remanufactured as a spare, these pumps are expensive new.

All together i don't have much invested into the system, and the investment will pay itself back after just two boxes of syrup and the savings they will generate.

Dirtcrasher
02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Thats pretty awesome :beer

Nice work you've done there!

kb0nly
02-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks! Now for a beer tap.... Hmmmm

M.Pargiello
02-20-2013, 12:11 AM
A little too much work for something that is not really good for you. But this is coming from someone who drinks almost nothing but water. Really cool regardless!

tri again
02-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Very cool.
Boyle's law(s) come to mind with temp and pressure and fluid dynamics.

I'm working on an air powered water pump. Just got most parts today.
You got me thinking about sparkling water right from the well now.

Remember if you 'evolve' to beer mfg, it is most noble.
Beer is the reason europe was able to come out of the dark ages.
Beer is a purified (bacteria free) water source and virtually eliminated many epidemics.
IPA's were extra hoppy to survive the trip from Britain to India.

but back to the topic at hand,
You can also use real cane sugar and real fruit concentrate for your bubble water.

I've been looking at soda makers for a while now.
LOVE bubbles in the summer.

kb0nly
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
A little too much work for something that is not really good for you. But this is coming from someone who drinks almost nothing but water. Really cool regardless!

Not really given the savings, and it doesn't have to just be sugary pop. I have lots of choices for fruit beverages, basically carbonated and flavored water like soda but with a lot less sugar. The soda syrups i plan on using most of the time are real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup, which is also a bit better for you. I get my main caffeine intake from coffee in the morning most days, i like a cold soda when i sit down to a meal, so maybe two glasses a day. I will actually drink less soda now, how you wonder? I am forcing myself not to buy any, which means a bottle doesn't leave the house with me and get drank off slowly all afternoon, i just have a bit when i am here. I can also control the mix, the stuff you get out of the fountain at the local 7/11 are set a bit richer for flavor to get the sugar addicts going. I adjusted the brix down so flavor is good but its a bit weaker than most soda fountains you will use in public. This not only saves on product but also reduces the amount your drinking.

I have to argue with those that complain about the intake from soda. The average 20oz cup will only have 4oz of syrup in it. An average serving is only a couple hundred calories, unless you sitting on your butt all day its not an issue. This isn't New York i don't limit my soda... LOL

I drink a lot of water to, but why not treat yourself now and then? The lemonade mixes i have been playing with are awesome and are even better nutrition wise, the pink grapefruit syrup i just tried with the SodaStream was awesome. I also have Tea coming, and a few other healthy selections to swap around. I can even dispense plain soda water, although the bottle of alcohol to mix with it has other health issues... LOL

kb0nly
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Very cool.
Boyle's law(s) come to mind with temp and pressure and fluid dynamics.

I'm working on an air powered water pump. Just got most parts today.
You got me thinking about sparkling water right from the well now.

Remember if you 'evolve' to beer mfg, it is most noble.
Beer is the reason europe was able to come out of the dark ages.
Beer is a purified (bacteria free) water source and virtually eliminated many epidemics.
IPA's were extra hoppy to survive the trip from Britain to India.

but back to the topic at hand,
You can also use real cane sugar and real fruit concentrate for your bubble water.

I've been looking at soda makers for a while now.
LOVE bubbles in the summer.

I purged my syrup pumps with air instead of CO2, these ShurFlo pumps sure will move water and even the thicker fluids with ease with little pressure. With 20psi it pushed the syrup up about 23ft of hose in a second or two, i was really impressed with the flow of the thicker fluid. They use these same pumps for condiment dispensers and pushing thicker stuff like ketchup or mayo is a bit more work then the syrup. One of my pumps is juice rated, meaning it can handle juice with pulp and such in it. Its my spare pump i picked up off eBay and might also become a dispenser for juice for breakfast. I can buy BIB orange juice from a local food distributor at a DEEP discount. Its all about saving money.

I know i am going to buy a pop, so why not make my own and make it cheaper and healthier. The store bought bottled product is almost too sweet for my taste, with my own machine i make it to my taste not others.

I watched that show on History hosted by Mike Rowe, the history of Beer, it was fascinating. It really did save the world.

tri again
02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Watching mythbusters right now "antacid jail break'.

Adam had 100 pounds of weights on a 1 foot square plastic bag and was able to easily lift them just by blowing into a straw.

I'm going to need a check valve and maybe a pressure regulator for my well pump.
I need it to blow, say, one bubble of air per second for this particular design.

yeah, they thought the pyramids were built with slave labor but recently discovered
vats and storage for grains and beer making supplies.
THE ultimate keg party may have built the pyramids.

edit:
HA!
mythbusters just blew the door off a jail cell with water and antacid tablets.

Thinking I could power my waterpump with the pressure from coke and mentos now.

(I better go to work) but hey, one of these ideas could make us rich and then we could goof around on 3ww.
Maybe we're already rich and don't know it.

kb0nly
02-20-2013, 07:26 PM
I remember that episode, a good one, really shows the power of pressurized gas.

I saw the show about the pyramids... The workers were given a daily beer stipend, along with grain for bread, etc. Back then beer was safer then water, but they didn't fully understand why, when you make beer you boil the water, which kills the pathogens, they didn't realize it but they made it safer just by boiling it. All they knew is less people got ill from beer.. Well at least medically ill... LOL

beets442
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Thats a cool little machine, would be great for making Beam and cokes.
In the 70's they had soda fountains at the dime store near us.
They would squirt that syrup in the glass and most would mix,but there would be a little blob of that sugary goodness at the bottom.
The cherry 7up was it, a little 7up syrup mixed with the cherry blob at the bottom. MMMMM mmmm Good!
There was soo much sugar in that thing you would be all jacked up.
I dont drink that much pop any more but I would like to taste that old time syrup again.

atc007
02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
As usual KB,,top notch work !! I too drink almost ALL water all the time, But sure do enjoy a fresh Orange out of our Sodastream. And yes,,they are rapests on the co2,and their flavors ,most of them,,leave a lot to be desired. Really cool setup man.

tri again
02-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Hey kb, is there any other gas that works to carbonate liquids?
Wondering if co2 is popular because of the longevity and shelf life?

Maybe helium could be used for party soda. (?)
Oxygen for high altitude sports drinks?

What were those bottles we'd see in the old 3 stooges movies.
Clear glass with a spray nozzle on top?
seltzer water?

Wonder how that all worked with 1920's technology.

Actually, how does the soda thing work? just basic theory is fine.
If I had fruit juice, would I simply leave the vessel pressurized with co2 and leave it overnight to absorb the gas?

side note:
I remember getting a tangle of that clear tubing that was reinforced with string from a 7-11 remodel.

It's been working great as fuel line for over 20 years now

kb0nly
02-23-2013, 11:46 AM
As usual KB,,top notch work !! I too drink almost ALL water all the time, But sure do enjoy a fresh Orange out of our Sodastream. And yes,,they are rapests on the co2,and their flavors ,most of them,,leave a lot to be desired. Really cool setup man.

Thanks! I too love the Orange and Grape from the Sodastream, reminds me of the days when i was a kid getting a shasta pop from the old gas station down on the corner, old school 12oz bottle machine that you had to pull the bottle out of the little door then use the bottle opener on the front to open it. As a kid that was a big treat. Most of their syrups contain Aspartame and that stuff gives me a bit of a headache. I prefer real sugar based beverages or as a second corn syrup. I was really enjoying the Mountain Dew Throwback as it finally tasted like it did back in the day, but it was slowly phased back out due to the cost of sugar, i miss it...

Did you notice most of SodaStream's syrups are made in the middle east?

kb0nly
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Hey kb, is there any other gas that works to carbonate liquids?
Wondering if co2 is popular because of the longevity and shelf life?

Maybe helium could be used for party soda. (?)
Oxygen for high altitude sports drinks?

What were those bottles we'd see in the old 3 stooges movies.
Clear glass with a spray nozzle on top?
seltzer water?

Wonder how that all worked with 1920's technology.

Actually, how does the soda thing work? just basic theory is fine.
If I had fruit juice, would I simply leave the vessel pressurized with co2 and leave it overnight to absorb the gas?

side note:
I remember getting a tangle of that clear tubing that was reinforced with string from a 7-11 remodel.

It's been working great as fuel line for over 20 years now

I don't know if you could really do anything else with other gases. CO2 is hard enough to pump into water, by its nature it doesn't want to mix with water. You have to have the right conditions to do it. The way the Sodastream units work is with a pressure vessel, the bottles they sell for it, and it increases the pressure until the gas is absorbed, it takes a lot more CO2 and the water temp has to be perfect to get a good lasting fizz, which is why you put the bottles of water in the fridge overnight.

With the fountain system you have a carbonator that uses a pump to increase the water pressure, the higher the water pressure the better the carbonation basically. There is a lot of info on this online, a mind boggling amount i read through really. Also if the water temp isn't right it just looses its fizz right away. Right now i am playing around with pre chilling the water to the carbonator and also plan on a cold plate after the carbonator to increase efficiency. More to come... LOL

The seltzer bottles have a CO2 cartridge in them, think of the little bottles you use in air guns, it does the same thing a sodastream does but on the fly like a newer carbonator, when you press the lever it injects the CO2 into a stream of water at the nozzle, there is a small mixing chamber that carbonates the water with the gas and then shoots it out from the internal pressure. I have an old style seltzer bottle, it uses little cartridges that aren't made anymore but an adapter can be bought to use the modern CO2 capsules.

The really old ones back in the 20's and 30's were just a glass bottle that was filled with carbonated water and then its just a dispenser with a siphon tube. You could make one, a SodaStream bottle with a dispenser top and siphon tube, carbonate the water using the SodaStream then screw on the nozzle, they are sold on eBay. The dip tube is to that it pulls liquid from the bottom rather then just push out the gas.

atc007
02-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks! I too love the Orange and Grape from the Sodastream, reminds me of the days when i was a kid getting a shasta pop from the old gas station down on the corner, old school 12oz bottle machine that you had to pull the bottle out of the little door then use the bottle opener on the front to open it. As a kid that was a big treat. Most of their syrups contain Aspartame and that stuff gives me a bit of a headache. I prefer real sugar based beverages or as a second corn syrup. I was really enjoying the Mountain Dew Throwback as it finally tasted like it did back in the day, but it was slowly phased back out due to the cost of sugar, i miss it...

Did you notice most of SodaStream's syrups are made in the middle east?[/QUOTE]

I haven't.. I will admit to being awful about that sort of thing. I would pay double for everything we buy if I could keep it all American. However,given our logistics,we are at the mercy of big box,or local,mini mart style stores. I figure,,Every single thing that I buy food wise. Is absolutely horrible for us. If I didn't grow it,I know it is not good for us..

kb0nly
02-23-2013, 10:44 PM
I agree... I just noticed it on one of their bottles of syrup while i was looking at the ingredients... No surprise its made out of country i guess, but i didn't know the middle east was a big source for soda syrup.

The Fox's syrups i am using on my fountain are made in the USA surprisingly.