PDA

View Full Version : Former GM 1500 owners that now own Dodge Ram 1500

jays375
02-19-2013, 07:08 PM
I have been putting off buying a new pickup for a while now.I have owned GMCs since 97.Right now considering buying a Dodge.Seems like they have really cheaped out the GM trucks these days.The frame really caught my eye.Plus back to using drum brakes on the rear.A Ford is not a option either.So is there any GM owners that switched to Dodge.What do you think?

Bryan Raffa
02-19-2013, 07:09 PM
prepare for a rougher ride....

RoscoW
02-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Wait a few months and get the New Ram 1500 diesel. Due out this year.

hoosierlogger
02-19-2013, 07:45 PM
I went from an 06 chevy 1/2 ton long bed to an 03 dodge 3/4 ton crew cab 4WD long bed. The ride is wildly rougher. I know it is 10 years old, but I still love it. Wish the gas mileage was better though.

fabiodriven
02-19-2013, 08:17 PM
prepare for a rougher ride....

I went from an 06 chevy 1/2 ton long bed to an 03 dodge 3/4 ton crew cab 4WD long bed. The ride is wildly rougher.

GM's trucks ride the smoothest from the 1500's all the way up to the 4500's, and they also have trouble with heavy loads that a comparable Ford or Dodge truck wouldn't flinch at. The difference is in the springs. GM's springs seem to be much softer which is good if you use your pickup as a car most of the time, but when you want to use your truck as a truck, they're too soft.

300rman
02-19-2013, 10:31 PM
dodge.....LOL. I havent heard too many from 99 ish to 04 that didnt knock, tick etc.etc (V6 OR V8)......newer ones have trash mileage. Good friend has an 06, and gets 10 MPG cruising at 60....FAIL. Stick with the Bowtie, cause the BullHorn is B.S. (Ford guy here)

Chazz of Blades
02-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Got a '97 1500 Sport with a 318 with under 100k on the clock, whole thing has 81k. Transmission is already junk, and it's never had a hard life and has been kept serviced. Motor hasn't gave any trouble though.

New Models: The newer 1500 dodge series all the exterior plastic trim will give issues within a couple years if you live in hot enviroments, and the transmission in my example one gave trouble, and there was a lot of issues with the electronics(this was an 08)

A 2011 Charger that a close family member of mine that's always been serviced right has, you guessed it, transmission issues and electronic trouble.

The 1990 GMC 1500 that I had that I'd done so much work to(that I flipped not long back) was bulletproof in every aspect I could find, except for interior quality and endurance.

Oh, and the older D1500s get piss poor gas mileage for some reason, and the new ones don't seem to give as much as they claim.

Personally, GM is normally more expensive, but compared to most new dodges, which are VERY inside and are very well detailed, you get more reliability for your money. Especially when all that fanciness on the dodge starts fading.

atc007
02-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Born and bread GM guy here. Driving a 09 GMC Sierra with 9000 miles on it,bought new. Not impressed at all. It's not bad. It's just not ,,what I want. Got out of a 03 Silverado SS. After that,,,everything else is just,,,well, not gonna stack up. I bought a 04 Ram Quad cab,had minor damage fr and rr. LOVE IT !! If I was on the market. I would VERY seriously be looking at a Ford or Dodge. My Dodge is for sale and it's gorgeous !

ebaccm26
02-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Those of you who have had issues with dodges must be doing something wrong! We have an 08 dodge 2500 and that thing takes anything I throw at it which is pretty impressive considering I drive like an trailprotrailprotrailpro. Although I will admit it is definately a rougher ride than some trucks I've driven but when it comes to towing or carrying a heavy load you barely even notice the difference.

El Camexican
02-19-2013, 11:39 PM
GM's trucks ride the smoothest from the 1500's all the way up to the 4500's, and they also have trouble with heavy loads that a comparable Ford or Dodge truck wouldn't flinch at. The difference is in the springs. GM's springs seem to be much softer which is good if you use your pickup as a car most of the time, but when you want to use your truck as a truck, they're too soft.

EXACTLY, and its been like that for as long as I've been driving. Chevy makes a great urban cowboy truck, but when we go out into the sticks here it's Ford country, all the ranchers have them. My only Dodge experiance has been hard on my spine unless there was a solid 800# or more in the boxes, then they ride like a dream where as the Chevy feels like the front end is in the air and they wallow over any kind of a bump and bottom out. Ford seem to be the best compromise between the two even if they can't seem to build a fast one (Lightning excluded). I was a Chevy guy for years, but I'm pretty sure my next truck will be another Ford.

jays375
02-19-2013, 11:53 PM
I am looking at purchasing new.Loved my 97 since the day it was bought new.My current 04 Sierra is okay.Just isn't the truck my other one was.Took care of it alot too.Never seemed to be as solid.New ones seem even cheaper.

M.Pargiello
02-19-2013, 11:58 PM
I love my gmt400's. Brother and I both owned one for a while. I hate fords but will admit that they have been quite impressive the past few years. I would definitely buy one. That's saying alot seeing that I am hard core GM

Honda250RinNC
02-20-2013, 05:17 AM
im a certified Chrysler mechanic. the valve ticking you hear is due to THE WRONG OIL. they specify 5w-30 in some 10w in others. YOU MUST USE IT! theres quite a few TSBs on the topic. also on transmissions. ive never had any problems with a factory transmission if PROPERLY taken care of, and the rebuilds i do myself i warranty them for 5/70 i add in clutches though to help eith wear/slipping. ALSO if you change your fluid YOU MUST..and i repeat MUST USE ATF+4 or you will DESTROY the trans. Chrysler fluid is a diffrent viscosity then your normal fluid. thats what caused the majority of the ultradrive (A-604) problems!
i personally use a synthetic universal fluid mfg'd by a company in tampa fl called Wolfs Head. IT IS AMAZING STUFF! ive put it in transmissions that wouldnt engage and had them end up lasting another 10k miles. its very very high quality.

Honda250RinNC
02-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Got a '97 1500 Sport with a 318 with under 100k on the clock, whole thing has 81k. Transmission is already junk, and it's never had a hard life and has been kept serviced. Motor hasn't gave any trouble though.
what you have there in that truck is a 46RE and like i said before. fluid is EVERYTHING!

New Models: The newer 1500 dodge series all the exterior plastic trim will give issues within a couple years if you live in hot enviroments, and the transmission in my example one gave trouble, and there was a lot of issues with the electronics(this was an 08)the plastic does fade that is almost any vehicle though. and there are a few products that will stop it. my 95 had perfect trim on it. ill snap some pictures of the tailgate plastic off of one im painting. i gave it a once over with this stuff and the plastic is like the day it came from the mould.

A 2011 Charger that a close family member of mine that's always been serviced right has, you guessed it, transmission issues and electronic trouble.
I am willing to bet a good chunk of cash that who ever serviced that vehicle (dealer or ind.) DID NOT USE the proper fluid. AND YES THAT IS COMMON! dealers like to cheap out to save cash. a qt. of their bulk Dexron-3 cost about a buck. a qt. of mopar ATF+4 costs the dealer about 3 bucks!!

Personally, GM is normally more expensive, but compared to most new dodges, which are VERY inside and are very well detailed, you get more reliability for your money. Especially when all that fanciness on the dodge starts fading.
i Wouldnt count on that the new trucks are top quality. and Chry. is taking real care of customers since the Fiat partnership. Sergio dosent like bad marks on his companies!

listen if you need some help with your vehicles let me know. i can help you troubleshoot them. theres ways of telling if its a transmission FAILURE or a different issue.

ALSO: i've been able to have Chrysler pick up tabs in the past. Last year they replaced the dash in my 95 1500 (sent me a $500 check). i didn't even tell them i was a Chrysler mechanic just called and told them my story. and have done the same for a friend with a 98 2500 (they sent me a $1500 check for a tranny rebuild). and they also paid for customers 99 3500 the NV4500 lost the nut off of 5th gear like they do and they sent me a $500 check to repair it.

fabiodriven
02-20-2013, 08:14 AM
I am a Ford man, through and through. Specifically a 7.3 diesel guy. It is by no means fast, but it will pull anything I can throw at it and it will always make it to where I want to go.

Ford seem to be the best compromise between the two even if they can't seem to build a fast one (Lightning excluded).

I'm assuming you're talking about the 5.4 gas engine trucks. Ford's 5.4 doesn't hold a candle to GM's 6.0 or even 5.3 IMO. The GM gas engines seem to make a lot more power.

If you're including diesels in that statement, I'm guessing you've never been in any of Ford's 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 diesels. They are powerful and FAST! Just don't plan on arriving at all of your destinations with the 6.0 or 6.4, unless you count arriving on the back of a hook. The verdict is still out on the new 6.7.

El Camexican
02-20-2013, 10:11 AM
I am a Ford man, through and through. Specifically a 7.3 diesel guy. It is by no means fast, but it will pull anything I can throw at it and it will always make it to where I want to go.

I'm assuming you're talking about the 5.4 gas engine trucks. Ford's 5.4 doesn't hold a candle to GM's 6.0 or even 5.3 IMO. The GM gas engines seem to make a lot more power.

If you're including diesels in that statement, I'm guessing you've never been in any of Ford's 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 diesels. They are powerful and FAST! Just don't plan on arriving at all of your destinations with the 6.0 or 6.4, unless you count arriving on the back of a hook. The verdict is still out on the new 6.7.

I was referring to 4.6 & 5.4. They just don't have the snap of the GM's, but the lines and interiors of the Fords are sweet. Have you even been in a newer Dodge when the hammer was dropped? Impressive stuff! I just wish they could build a truck around the HEMI. And yes, the older Ford diesels rule in terms of longevity. My friend has a 99 with over 500,000 miles on it, just put new heads on it a couple months ago, everything else is still like new. The two guys I know that bought 2007 Ford diesels had nothing but grief from day one. And finally in defense of Dodge I have another friend with over 400,000 miles on his 2000 Ram diesel and aside from a cracked dash and jacked up window switches it still runs strong, no trans or 4X4 issues at all. Can't paint them all with the same brush.

300rman
02-21-2013, 01:23 AM

With the issues addressed, the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels can be rock solid. I know a big one for the 6.0's is O-ring conversion for head gaskets.

I know of several that have been running since they were first released with their regular maintenance (used in landscaping) and have well over 200K on the clock, still running strong, so they weren't all turds! The 6.0 is a friggin rocketship in stock form, thats for sure.

Ford seem to be the best compromise between the two even if they can't seem to build a fast one (Lightning excluded).

The Raptor.......

ezmoney1979
02-21-2013, 08:05 AM
6.0 Ford Powerstroke a "rocketship"? Ummmmm........ I'm not sure I agree with that, I have driven lots of newer (and chipped, exhaust, etc) diesels and by far the slowest (and most unreliable) of them all was the 6.0. I have heard people say "you just gotta O-ring the heads and its a great motor" as if putting $5,000 into the motor of a $40-50,000 truck at 100k is acceptable.

fabiodriven
02-21-2013, 08:29 AM
6.0's are utter turds. I see people every day doing head studs, EGR coolers or deletes, injectors, oil cooler, FICM... And when they're done and "bulletproofed", they break again. I completely agree that having to put thousands into a motor to make it reliable (when it's still not) doesn't in any way make it a good motor. And as far as "seeing plenty of them make it to 200k with nothing but general maintenance", that is total BS, and nobody is going to tell me otherwise. I don't know what planet you live on, but here on earth my job is to look at trucks 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I know all about these turds. There's probably 1 out of 10 that make it over 120k without major work. Not only that, but I've done an EGR delete, oil cooler, and injectors in one of these and they absolutely friggin suck to work on.

EZ, I don't know where you're getting your info but you're completely wrong. I'm very sorry my friend, but if you want me to start posting videos of 6.0's walking away from Mustangs, Vettes, or Lightenings I will. There are thousands and thousands of videos to choose from.

ezmoney1979
02-21-2013, 08:44 AM
EZ, I don't know where you're getting your info but you're completely wrong. I'm very sorry my friend, but if you want me to start posting videos of 6.0's walking away from Mustangs, Vettes, or Lightenings I will. There are thousands and thousands of videos to choose from.
The comment was "The 6.0 is a friggin rocketship in stock form, thats for sure." If you can show me a video of a stock 6.0 beating any of the vehicles you mentioned, go for it lol. I think they ran a 9+ 0-60, and 17-18 in the quarter stock......... wow, what a "rocketship".

You might find a video of one beating a 3.8 mid 90s Mustang, but its still going to be close lol.

fabiodriven
02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm not gonna destroy this poor kid's thread anymore than I already have.

Please take my tone in my last post with a grain of salt gents. I'm not awake yet.

ezmoney1979
02-21-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm not gonna destroy this poor kid's thread anymore than I already have.

Please take my tone in my last post with a grain of salt gents. I'm not awake yet.
Yeah I now feel compelled to talk half tons. Sorry to go off topic Jays (even if Flabby is FOS)

I have been driving my 2003 Silverado 1500 (4.8)for over five years now. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned, 182,000 miles on it now and it runs and drives like the day I got it with little to no maintenence. Very soft ride and if you are really hauling 1000 pounds in the bed, thats about the safe limit. I would love to have a newer Silverado 1500 with the six speed auto soon.
A friend of mine had a newer Dodge (2006) four door half ton with the 4.7. Much more "truck-like" as far as the ride goes, but not too harsh. Plenty of hauling capability, but the downside was the little V8. Definately need the bigger motor if you want to get down the road.

fabiodriven
02-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Obviously I'm a Ford man, but if I HAD to get a half ton (which would never do me any good the way I use a truck) the GM offering is the best of the three.

Ford's 5.4's suck. They're underpowered, they all have bad exhaust manifolds, they spit out spark plugs, they eat coil packs, ball joints, and the rear spring shackles rot out quickly.

The Dodge's seem to rot prematurely, the tranny's go, and they also chew through ball joints and wheel bearings.

A comparable Government Motors truck has far fewer repeat failures. The only one that comes to mind is the inner tie rod ends wearing rather quickly. The 5.3 and 6.0's run like Swiss watches and make gobs more power than the Ford 5.4, but the 6.0 is a thirsty bugger. Count on 10-11 MPG with a 6.0, loaded or empty, fast or slow.

jays375
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Sorry Fabio at 40 really can't consider me a kid anymore.Here in Pa. the roads really suck.My 04 GMC has felt squishy from day one.Even with 10 ply tires on it.There has been play in the steering also.Even after the dumb intermediate shaft was replaced.You always have to back up to get it out of 4 wheel drive.Front end has growled since day one.It was looked at plenty of times.Wheel bearings went under twenty thousand miles.Transmisson puked at sixty thousand.Other than that things haven't been bad.Plus I really do take care of it and service it regularly.The new GMC to me is almost like a overgrown Toyota.There isn't much of a frame.Back to drum brakes in the rear.With the anti-lock brakes the drums suck in the snow.Even with keeping the rears adjusted up.Plus not impressed with the power of the 5.3.Now they have two little dinky electric fans.Which aren't cheap to replace or fix.The box is really skimpy.All kinds of exposed seams in the wheel wells.With the amount of salt brine they use here now don't think it will hold up well.I look at a truck as it being used,not just basic transportation.

pcollins
02-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Kinda worries me reading some of this stuff about GMs...I've been a Ford man my whole life and just decided to try a GMC this year. Picked up a 2012 1500 with the 4.8. I used to have an '07 F150 with the 5.4 and I could put a full ton of wood pellets in the back and then some without the truck even coming close to bottoming out. I hope the GMs can handle the same abuse at least occasionally!