PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have luck with aches and pains?

tri again
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
There are days I feel like I've been dipped in pain.

Everything freakin' hurts and I'm sure it's waking me up.

Tried that glucosamine stuff and all the antioxidants and free radical scavengers, clean living and everything else I could think of.

...awww &*^%$,
I'm gonna be late for a meeting.

Thanks

El Camexican
02-20-2013, 07:36 PM
All that stuff takes months to start working. Not saying not to use it, but you have to wait. In the meantime I've found that rum is a far faster acting reliver of pain. If Rum is not your thing I also use 200mg Advils. 3 to 4 of those a day works pretty darn good.

Flyingw
02-20-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm right there with ya Brother. I'm 49 and there is always something that hurts. The past month, I've been nursing a torn up knee. I've had a bad back since I was 14. I have a high tolerance of pain but geeezzzz!!!!!! It slows me down at times but it sure doesn't stop me. There are some things I can't do anymore like laying tile but I try to get things done none the less. I have been given all sorts of meds over the years for pain but I cant take that stuff for extended amounts of time so I grit my teeth and press on. As we all age, we have to adjust what we can and can't do. I guess its part of getting old. Keep the faith Brother.

atc007
02-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Heating pads,a good long soak in bath salts in a tub. I know,I know,,medicine tells us to ICE to reduce swelling. Well,,there is a lot to getting all the blood vessels dialated and the blood really pumping through everything to bring healing in. Our family Loves aspirin,medicine loves Tylenol, ( ibuprofen}. Cheap,Wal Mart / Dollar store muscle rub,,that stuff works very well for isolated areas. And of course the number one,,exercise/stretching, to keep everything limbered up. Getting old sucks ! Especially when you've put the hard miles on yourself..

JayBone
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Go see if your iron is to high. That will cause that if you always feel pain..

El Camexican
02-21-2013, 12:46 PM
An old guy taught me a trick about pain control that I’d like to share.

He said that if you have a sore hip, knee, elbow or back that all you have to do is take a hammer and hit your thumb with it and all the aches and pains will disappear. The harder you hit your thumb the longer the pain relief from your other ailments will last. I have tried this myself and can assure you that it works very well.

Dirtweed
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
How old is your Bed? Our bed was 9 yrs old and it had to go. Tooooo soft, one of those Foam Prana beds.

Bought a Sterns and Foster mattress a bit more firmer bed last year and we still have tons of pain every morning.

Then we bought a king size Futon....HEAVEN! No more pain....unless a storm is running through then it is
advil time.

ezmoney1979
02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
If I feel this bad at 33, I'm not getting out of bed at 50.

atc007
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
I kinda think a few of us older dogs on here have not been very good to our bodies. Whoops,doubles,triples,trees,and plain old rocky trails really take their toll on the human design. I've told a cpl friends lately. I saw a special on CBS on Ryan Villopoto a cpl weeks ago. I am still in shock pretty much at what it takes,and what they are doing to themselves, to do what they do. That kid,(,and I'm sorry,,,no matter how you approach life.. He is a KID. ),,can barely walk. They showed him training and yes,,he is an absolute animal. but walking to the start line,,walking,,he just has no swagger at all. 57 screws,,2nd cal,,I have no clue how he will be walking at 45.

tri again
02-22-2013, 01:23 AM
I actually worked with some pro sports teams.
These 'kids', ya know, 19-25 were so beat up.
Let's call it sacrificing body parts for millions of dollars or the hopes of an ez retirement, altho most of that money disappears somehow.

The cheerleaders, on the other hand, we'll call them world class atchletes, in their own right.
Dancing on sprained ankles for 15 bucks a game. YES, LA rams, 9ers etc.
That was one thing I found hard to imagine.
Other than bragging rights, and the extremely rare endorsement gig, it had to add meaning to life or some other desire to be world class.
Why do people sacrifice to be olympic athletes?
Love of the game more than desire to be famous.

Then there's a lot of us who just bite the dog from working 2 jobs, raising kids and families
and doing whatever it takes to get along.

I actually got hit so hard with a shooting pain yesterday, I screamed out loud at the firehouse meeting like I'd been hit with a bullwhip.
All the emt's were stunned and almost paralyzed except for one, who was ready to do cpr or whatever may have been indicated...almost like I'd set it up as a REAL test of ability.

Luck of the draw, genetics, dreams and challenges, life course changes mid stream.

Don't mean to get all philosophical, but I actually slept for more than 45 minutes (9 hrs) for the first time in Years!

Maybe good sleep is one of the answers, and rest assured, I AM going to try all of your great suggestions.

Thanks everyone.
Stay safe and if something's too heavy, wait for help.

Custom200
02-22-2013, 07:49 AM
I've used some advil type pain relief but after a longer day of work I usually get a scalding hot bath with salts as well and or use deep heat, rub a535 etc. This helps but taking a couple hour runs on the brute force every night after work and thrashing on it doesnt help much.

Thorpe
02-24-2013, 12:54 AM
As I get older, I was starting to feel more joint pain on a daily basis... I started taking Omega 3 fish oil supplements and have noticed it to have gotten a lot better. Also like dirtweed said, wife and I got a sleep number bed a few months ago, and I don't seem to wake up with the back pain that I used to....

atc007
02-24-2013, 01:22 AM
As I get older, I was starting to feel more joint pain on a daily basis... I started taking Omega 3 fish oil supplements and have noticed it to have gotten a lot better. Also like dirtweed said, wife and I got a sleep number bed a few months ago, and I don't seem to wake up with the back pain that I used to....

Hmmmm,funny you post that Thorpe.. I started myself on fish oil about a year ago,,I've had a sleep # bed for 7 years.. It is blown out now and I have to start the warranty process Monday. But ,being a farmer/snowmobile dealer,I had a blown back every single day of my life. Every sled I ever lifted threw my back out !! Anyhow,I used to almost cry when I woke up because I had to bend down to the floor to reach my clothes. Once I blew a disc,,had to sleep in a chair half the night for 8 months,absolutely could not lay down. I haven't had back problems for years now!! I feel better than ever back wise. I had attributed it to not farming and slowing down. Maybe the fish oil is doing something for me :) ,

kb0nly
02-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Ya know your old when you switch from Advil to Aleve... I have been taking Aleve for aches and pains and it really helps. Get the 12 hour version and take two in the morning when you get up and then one before going to bed. My doctor told me you can space out the dosage more if it isnt needed, such as one in the morning and one at night, but you can't take more than three a day. It really helps me with aches and pains if i wake up feeling sore. I have been pretty hard on myself, in my earlier years i always pushed myself to fast and to hard, and farming took its toll, now i think i am paying for it with the joint pain i get and feeling the storms approach...

Getting old can be tough... LOL

kebby28
02-24-2013, 05:41 AM
I think I destroyed my back in my teens from riding my 3 wheeler down the railroad tracks. No rear suspension! I'm 32 now and no longer enjoy going fast. I just like cruising in the woods :)

hoosierlogger
02-24-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm 32 now and no longer enjoy going fast. I just like cruising in the woods :)

I am right there with you. I am a 33 Year old Logger. Daily work takes its toll on my body. I am not interested in going fast or up super steep hills any more.

kb0nly
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
I like plowing snow and hauling wood around with my trike now... LOL

I remember jumping the creek and bouncing across the pasture at faster then sane speeds when i was younger... Oh those were the days... Now i'm old and heal slower... LOL