PDA

View Full Version : Custom length swing arms for 83-85 200X

Hippie459MN
02-23-2013, 05:25 PM
I wasnt sure where to post this so I posted it here. Sorry if its in the wrong section.

I am finally about to start the rebuild of my 1985 Honda 200X and my moms neighbor owns a machine/fabrication shop down at his place and we are thinking of building a 4+ extended swing arm from scratch for my 200X and if all goes well we were thinking of building more of them to the customers specs but I wanted to see if there would be a market for them before I even consider commiting to anything. As for prices, I havent even a clue yet as we havent even started building any. Just trying to get an idea if that would be something worth doing or not. I hate to commit and then only like 2 or 3 people want them. Just an idea right now.

fabiodriven
02-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I can pretty much guarantee there won't be anyone looking to buy a +4 for a 200X unless unless they're deathly allergic to wheelies or something.

Hippie459MN
02-23-2013, 09:31 PM
I was thinking of a 4+ for mine but if we do make them they would pretty much be to customers specs so if someone wanted a 2+ then we could do that. I just hate to spend the $$ building a nice adjustable jig for them if there is no market. Its just an idea right now. Going to see how mine turns out.

manbearpig
02-23-2013, 10:26 PM
theres interest, i guarantee it. but you'd probably be better off to approach this a different way...

maybe have yours done, post pictures of it so we can all see how well its put together, then post how much you paid and what others can expect to pay... then ask if anyone wants one.

like i said, theres interest, but theres also a welder/fab shop right down the street from me (and most of the members on here near some major city)... they can make one if i give them the specs... but if your boy is the shiz and can crank out high quality swingers for cheap then you'll cut out everyones middle man and streamline the "ordering" process. people will penny up for that

also like fabio said, most will not want a +4. a 200x doesnt have the torque (unless youve done significant motor work) to make a +4 necessary. if you're looking to sign your boy up for more than just 2 or 3 swingers, maybe consider having him make something that most of us can relate to wanting/needing... like a +2 swinger

fabiodriven
02-23-2013, 11:09 PM
To each their own, but if I can't pull the front end up on my trike, even up to third gear plus, it's not fun to me. A 200X is far from ballsy, but with the stock swinger you can still yank it up here and there. Plus anything on those would be a negative to me, but that's how I ride. I like that you can wheelie trikes so much easier than quads.

Scootertrash
02-24-2013, 12:31 PM
What Fabio said. Even if I'm not the wheelie king, It's nice to pull that front wheel up even for a few seconds in third. Now if I did more hill climbing I may be interested in an extend swinger.

fabiodriven
02-24-2013, 01:18 PM
I thought of that as well, but unless you're scaling the bunny slope a 200X isn't going to have the stones.

oldskool83
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
+4 is over kill for a 15hp bike...plus i already beat ya. HRE +2 with trx450r rear brake caliper upgrades...he has a fixture made to make more. contact him for swingarms.

thanks!

www.hreatv.com

duck4twenty
11-24-2013, 05:49 PM
what's the stock lenght on a 84-200x just tring to figure out if my swingarm is extended it's 22in long if so how long is it extended?

Dirtcrasher
11-24-2013, 09:22 PM
what the stock lenght on a 84 200x

Near perfect :D