PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from Sport quad/dirtbike owners

pcollins
02-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Hello all, I'm kinda in a stalemate with myself. You can probably guess by the title what I'm trying to decide. I've currently got an '86 200x 3 wheeler, in very nice shape, haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or not yet. Space is limited since I'm living with my folks and I'll probably be here another year or two since they only charge me 200 a month for rent, which leaves a little more for me to put in the bank to save for a house of my own.

Back on topic, I want to hear from those who own a dirt bike, sport quad, or both, on which you prefer to ride and why? There aren't many trike friendly tracks in my area and I'd like to get into some racing so that's why I'm considering selling the trike. I'm a beginner at racing if that makes any difference. I can handle my trike very well and am not afraid to hit some small jumps on the trails but I'm no professional. I'm leaning more towards a bike due to the facts: they don't take up much space, less moving parts to bust, and they look like a lot more fun.

Basically anyone who has had experience riding one or the other, enlighten me. Which should I go for? I can throw a utility quad around pretty good (i've never ridden tracks, only trails) but that's a different animal than a sport quad I assume. I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread on one or the other, I just want some opinions and facts to maybe help me make up my mind. Thanks for any and all input!

samuraiguys
02-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Well that all depends on how you ride, where you ride, your intentions etc. I have a RZR , quads, and trikes. Depends on how I feel or what im doing that day to determine what i take and how i plan on riding. If you want to race go with a bike, its cheaper and easier for entry level riders , not to mention takes up less space. You could always sell the X and get yourself a nice 125 2 stroke or maybe a 250 4 stroke bike to get started.

pcollins
02-25-2013, 01:28 PM
I was definitely thinking along the lines of a 250 dirtbike wise. I'm just not a fan of 2 strokes so that knocks out the 125.

M.Pargiello
02-25-2013, 02:04 PM
I came from riding dirtbikes. Grew up riding them with friends all my life, I love bikes and still ride them all the time, but nothing like a trike.

I say keep the trike, get a bike and a quad :) Only way to do it that I can see

pcollins
02-25-2013, 03:29 PM
I'd love to keep the trike and I still might but I'd have to find somewhere to put them both up for the winters.

ezmoney1979
02-25-2013, 03:34 PM
I like the versatility of a 450 quad (I would steer clear of the trashcan-am and Poolaris). Great in the woods or dunes, mellow enough for most people to use, and reliable. I have a lot of seat time on the YFZ, TRX, and LTR and they each have their own advantages. I personally wouldn't use an 86 200X as my daily rider due to the unobtainable parts on them.

rdlsz24
02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
I have a 450 sport quad and a 250 four stroke dirt bike. I find myself riding my dirt bike more just because I am newer to bikes and trying to get better. I can ride my quad fast in my sleep. The bike is a different story

Rob

pcollins
02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Definitely leaning towards the Dirtbike. Eventually I'd like to have both but I think for now while thats not possible I'll settle on a dirtbike.

I personally wouldn't use an 86 200X as my daily rider due to the unobtainable parts on them.

i've never had too much trouble locating parts for mine. Now the 84 200es Big Red I had...THAT was damn near impossible for me to find any parts.

Xhumeka
02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
I tend to agree with the other posters in this thread - it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I have a TE450 (husqvarna 4 stroke mx style bike that's road legal), 250R ATC, and a Banshee for my quad fix; and I honestly can't imagine having to pick between them - each are good in their own way and what I ride depends on my mood for the day.

I really like the fact that my dirtbike is road legal (doesn't even have signal lights) so that makes riding around town etc quite fun (almost too fun if you want to keep your license!!).

If I HAD to get rid of ONE, it would likely be the banshee (but what do you expect on a 3wheeler site ;)

And if I could only keep one, I must say it would be the bike... blasphemy I know!

bansheekx
02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Both have their good points but for me it depends on what the other guys in my group are riding that day. Seems like when your on a dirt bike when everyone else is on a quad you have to wait on them when the trails get tight and then if its really slick and muddy their waiting on you! If you want to get into mx racing I would get a bike. Much cheaper to run and set up than a quad. If you want to play in the mud and trail ride get a quad.

300rman
02-26-2013, 01:49 AM
If you arent familiar with bikes, you re GOING to crash. A lot. I still fall, and ive been riding my whole life. Best thing in the world for a bike: Riding Boots. They will save your ankles and shins. Bikes are fun, but they will bite you.

atc007
02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
All on the same page here. I can't ride a bike. When I say that,yes,,I can ride a bike and enjoy it all day. But,,to say i can ride it ,to me,means I can go out and literally break the frame,climb anything,doubles,triples etc.. If you aspire to the same standards,,yep,,you are gonna get hurt on a bike, a lot. Plain and simple. IF, you have the common sense to "trail ride" carefully and responsibly. Maybe a different story. Whatever you get. You WILL need to know this. MAINTAIN it. All the bikes mentioned are VERY prone to being a scrap heap if not religiously maintained. Oil and filter changes,valve adjustments etc.. These newer engines are very fun,but at a price. Good luck ! And be safe.

pcollins
02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Well I'm definitely set on a dirtbike. If I want to do some major trail riding we've got a Grizzly 660 at the farm that goes through just about everything. Later on down the road I'll hopefully be able to have both but for now I'd like the bike. I've ridden 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, and a few snowmobiles so its time to learn dirtbikes! I'm currently looking at this: http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3609593142.html

EDIT: just found this one as well. its a year older but they live in the same town as me. So the drive would be short. Think i might go check this out if they still have it come friday. http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3643707333.html

300rman
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Get a pair of good riding boots. They will save your ankles