PDA

View Full Version : The 200x I hate carburetors thread! please help me

nb200x
02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
So I have an 85 I have been building on. the carb was ok but leaked a lil. it started pretty decent was pretty flat on top and would sometimes flood if it didnt start right away. I just happen to have another one sitting here. (both are 24mm keihin) I cleaned it up, pulled the old one, because I had to steal the needle valve. put it all back together and it wont start....AT ALL....it pops if I hold the throttle down. exhaust is a cobra (no idea what model cobra) My question is this, the manual mentions setting the pilot jet so can this be better explained PLEASE! :(

Oh yeah and what am I pointing at here?
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/patboiler/DSCN0174.jpg

hoosierlogger
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
you are pointing at the idle jet. The screw to the right is the idle adjustment. It adjusts how rich/lean it is at idle. as long as you have the correct jet. I suggest you use the search function and look up the thread on jetting. I think it was called jetting 101. It is a big help as long as you can have it running before you start.

yaegerb
02-25-2013, 10:58 PM
You are pointing at the pilot jet (idle jet). The jet to the left of where you are pointing is your main jet. Did you blow the jets out with compressed air? Have you soaked your carb in a good cleaner?

Some pointers:

Start at the tank and unplug the fuel line from the carb. Is fuel flowing freely when you turn the petcock on? If so then hook your line back up to the carb and turn the fuel on. Is your bowl filling up? If so then kick it over a couple times. Is your spark plug drenched in fuel? If not, then I bet your jets are plugged. If you see fuel on the plug, do you have a good blue spark?

nb200x
02-25-2013, 11:09 PM
carb got soaked, petcock is clean, bowl fills, blew out jets and orifices. have good spark and plug is dry. so my belief is I am not getting enough fuel to cylinder. how do I adjust the pilot jet to get more fuel

yaegerb
02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
you don't adjust a pilot...you either buy a larger pilot (larger orifice) or smaller pilot (smaller orifice). You are positive you can see light through the pilot and main jets (perfectly clean)?

You can only adjust the fuel to air screw and the idle screw. Your fuel to air screw should be 2-1/4 turns out assuming your carb is post-1983. See the screw to the right of where you are pointing? Seat it lightly, then turn out 2-1/4 times. Have you tried that yet?

jb2wheels
02-25-2013, 11:28 PM
The pilot jet is not adjustable.

Is the intake stock? Filter & airbox?

I suggest a $15-$20 carb kit to get fresh gaskets and needle/seat.

With a pipe, you'll need a bigger main jet and probably pilot jet.

I'd rebuild the first carb that at least ran and go from there.

Check the jetting 101 thread.

You can get jets from here:
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_atv/honda_200_ATC200X.htm

They're not particularly cheap but I got tired of dealing with multiple trips to local dealerships for jets. Just buy 2 or 3 sizes of main and pilot and start the trial and error.

You have an 85 so your stock jets should be 108/38 but you'll need to look at them closely.

With a pipe and stock intake, I'd start with 115/42 then see how it runs but replace the soft parts with a rebuild kit first.

nb200x
02-25-2013, 11:28 PM
well the manual tell me to lightly seat the PILOT jet and screw it out 1 and 3/4 turns....only problem is I dont know how to lightly seat it

yaegerb
02-25-2013, 11:34 PM
what year is the bike you are working on? Lightly seating it means to screw it all the way in until it stops, but do it gently.

Look for a serial number on the carb...if you can find one, then refer to the information below.

PD62A is a 1983 carb
Main Jet: 110
air/fuel screw: 1-3/4 turns out

PD62B is after 1983
Main Jet: 108
Air/fuel screw: 2-1/4 turns out

nb200x
02-25-2013, 11:48 PM
bike is an 85....when you saY AIR/FUEL d u mean pilot. or is air/fuel throttle stop screw

yaegerb
02-25-2013, 11:49 PM
The manual refers to it as the pilot screw. Its the screw in your picture to the RIGHT of the one you are pointing at.

nb200x
02-25-2013, 11:52 PM
10-4....thanks

barnett468
02-26-2013, 12:57 AM
So I have an 85 I have been building on. the carb was ok but leaked a lil. it started pretty decent was pretty flat on top and would sometimes flood if it didnt start right away. I just happen to have another one sitting here. (both are 24mm keihin) I cleaned it up, pulled the old one, because I had to steal the needle valve. put it all back together and it wont start....AT ALL....it pops if I hold the throttle down. exhaust is a cobra (no idea what model cobra) My question is this, the manual mentions setting the pilot jet so can this be better explained PLEASE! :(

Oh yeah and what am I pointing at here?
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/patboiler/DSCN0174.jpg

Even if the pilot jet is totally plugged you will still get gas on the plug if the main jet is clear and you put the choke on full and kick it 5 times with the the throttle closed then 5 times with the throttle wide open, it's impossible not to so try this and reply with results. I would use the old carb.

Air won't tell you if the jets are unblocked, you must spray carb or brake cleaner in them and see it come out in the carb bore but your mixture screw must be open a few turns.

What was leaking on the one that previously ran? It would be better to use that and fix since you know it ran before.

What does your plug look like if it's been in there for a while this info may not help. Is it black and powdery or light tan on the porcelain portion?

What size is your PILOT jet?

If the main jet is too small it will have a flat spot when accelerating wot from a steady 15-20 mph speed. It certainly sounds way too small.

Honda guy
02-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Just clean the crap out of the carb make sure you can see though both pilot jet and your main jet there should be a 108/110
Main jet and a 40 pilot jet. It will have a # on the side of it.
And as mentchened the fuel screw (fuel screw 4 stroke) (air screw 2 stroke) just for your info.
the one to the right (fuel screw) of the pic should be like 1 3/4 -2 turns out just screw it in all the way and count your turns out.
If the carb is in on the bike it would be the one at the front of the blow I would adjust the screw when the carb is on the
bench it's a bit easer to do then.

I would have a look at your pilot jet it kinda looks pretty big in the pic.
And always keep an eye on your spark plug once in a while it says a lot on how it's running
Good luck.

nb200x
02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
spark plug is pretty clean only a couple of weeks old. the old carb was leaking from the bottom (drain port) I dont even know wht these things are on there. but last night my other one started doing the same thing. Needle valve Is good.

B18PWR
02-26-2013, 05:42 PM
If you had a carb that did at least run, clean it , check the jets as said , set the screw as said but most importantly set the float height exactly as the manual says , I had a similar prob with mine and un knowingly I must have knocked or moved it and the damm thing caused me no end of trouble. Even if the jettings wrong if it ran before it will start again . just be methodical and you will get there. If you mixed up the floats and needle valve and either different component is in a different body it will defo needs re calibrating , ie the float height.

nb200x
02-26-2013, 10:16 PM
so anyways I looked at the old one and the throttle set screw was way in i screwed it in to match on the new carb.......and BAM ONE kick, it took off and runs like hell no blurple or flat spots....now all i need is a xr200 cam and a start all over with a 26mm carb lol!