PDA

View Full Version : Any 3 Wheeler based events in Minnesota?

CodyRosa
02-26-2013, 02:02 AM
Hey everyone!

I am just wondering if anybody knows of ANYTHING that is based on 3 wheelers in Minnesota? That could mean races, swap meets, etc.. I saw the guy in NJ hosting a swap meet so I'm curious if anybody knows of anything like that in MN. If not.. that would be awesome to get something going!

Thanks!

kb0nly
02-26-2013, 02:35 AM
Nothing that i know of, but i will keep an ear to the ground.

CodyRosa
02-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Dang.. we need one lol.. I have such a hard time finding people that like 3 wheelers. I've been talking to a guy that bought my 3 wheeler parts and he lives like 10minutes away.. ONLY person I know that likes 3 wheelers. My dad told me about hay days or whatever it is and they have 3 wheelers there cheap. Is there anything close by? Like Wisconsin, ND or SD? Gotta be something

Thorpe
02-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Hay days is a snowmobile meet, but trikes can be found in the swap meet... Not very cheap though in my opinion.

fabiodriven
02-26-2013, 09:46 AM
When you get out of the new guys' section Cody, start a thread in the local ride section of the forum.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/forumdisplay.php/64-Rides-Events-Locations.

I joined this forum in '08 and went on my first ride with people from the site that same year. Since then, we've gotten together periodically for rides. Sometimes there's 3 of us and sometimes 15, you never know. Here it is almost 5 years later and now we go almost every month or two. We've got a dedicated group of guys and the rides are fantastic. Start a thread when you can and then attempt to make it grow.

90guy
02-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Well I've been wondering the same thing there's nothing here in nd that I know of. Kind of sad. It's nice that a couple of my buddies like the wheeler. Lol

CodyRosa
02-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks Fabio had no idea there was a forum dedicated to rides and what not. I'm just used to the new guys section lol.. but i supposed to could switch. As soon as my wheeler is done and register I'll probably start up a thread there. Thanks again

Thorpe: I thought my dad said at hay days some people brought 3 wheelers to sell. Maybe It was something else but I thought that's what it was.. oh well.

83 200e
02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
its pretty sad there isnt anything here, or in north dakota., where are you from in NoDak, 90guy?

90guy
02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Live an 1.25 hours north west bismarck. And my parents are in langdon little closer lol

Worden18
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking about hosting something maybe in the summer or fall. This ATV trail starts literally right out of my back yard:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/ohv/southeast_mn.pdf

I have not ridden on it yet. I will though come May 15. I see quads on it all the time.

But there's a lot of other places I ride during the winter. There's a really nice valley (3 blocks from my house the dirt road starts) that I ride in the winter; which is where I rode from 1981-1988 (and then starting again in 2012 when I bought my 185s).

It's really awesome. I'm very lucky I don't have to trailer my trikes anywhere to ride. I'll analyze the DNR trail in May and then go from there.

83 200e
02-27-2013, 09:27 PM
i see im right out of grand forks

CodyRosa
02-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Dang Worden.. I would love to but Stockton is over 3 hours. Little to far from me. Like 10min from my house the soo line starts.. very long trail. Leads straight to a gravel pit in Moose Lake. If anyone hasn't seen the soo line its all gravel and about 15 feet wide. I would love to ride on that with some people, i live in Finlayson.

90guy
02-27-2013, 10:12 PM
i see im right out of grand forks
Well heck that isn't to bad at all from L town. Might have to meet up and ride around there! Stating to try and get to titles for my 350 and triz so i can ride without worry

Worden18
02-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Dang Worden.. I would love to but Stockton is over 3 hours. Little to far from me. Like 10min from my house the soo line starts.. very long trail. Leads straight to a gravel pit in Moose Lake. If anyone hasn't seen the soo line its all gravel and about 15 feet wide. I would love to ride on that with some people, i live in Finlayson.

Yeah, 3 hours is a hell of a trip for something like this. Hopefully you can find some people near you to ride with, and same for me, too:beer

CodyRosa
02-28-2013, 12:41 AM
ugh.. another one of these? Can someone ban him please..

CodyRosa
02-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Yea hopefully.. like I said before I really don't know anybody with 3 wheelers. Everyone up here likes those 4 wheeled things.

kb0nly
02-28-2013, 12:51 AM
I reported the post he will be gone soon... From now on when you see one of those spammers click on the little triangle with the exclamation point in it at the bottom of its post and report it as spam so the Mods can kill em. It happens, just report and ignore.. LOL

CodyRosa
02-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Oh ok thanks Kbonly never saw that haha..

Howdy
02-28-2013, 03:17 AM
I reported the post he will be gone soon... From now on when you see one of those spammers click on the little triangle with the exclamation point in it at the bottom of its post and report it as spam so the Mods can kill em. It happens, just report and ignore.. LOL

I don't see it. ;) ;) :beer :beer

Yep, the report post button used properly by members helps everyone. A few postings will slip through the software, and then through even the moderators checking. Once reported it brings them to our attention and we take care of them as needed after that. Thanks for the report KB!!!!!
Howdy

shovelryder
02-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Id be game fer a MN gathering.......Buying property this weekend just south of Spider Lake ohv area......Great time there! As fer getting yer wheeler registered in mN.....Ya dont have to.........Its a classic.

CodyRosa
02-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Wow they really don't have to be registered.. well where can you drive without them being registered? I saw you still need the numbers on the back. At least that's what I saw on some site.

shovelryder
02-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Wow they really don't have to be registered.. well where can you drive without them being registered? I saw you still need the numbers on the back. At least that's what I saw on some site.Nope.....no numbers or anything.......Use it anywhere ya want. You MAY register, but its not required...This from DNR site.....

■All Terrain Vehicles 25 years and older are exempt from registration if they were originally produced as a separate, identifiable make by a manufacturer. ATVs 25 years and older MAY be registered for unlimited use. This registration is non-transferable. Collector ATV registration does not expire. It is valid until the ownership is transferred

kb0nly
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Nope.....no numbers or anything.......Use it anywhere ya want. You MAY register, but its not required...This from DNR site.....

■All Terrain Vehicles 25 years and older are exempt from registration if they were originally produced as a separate, identifiable make by a manufacturer. ATVs 25 years and older MAY be registered for unlimited use. This registration is non-transferable. Collector ATV registration does not expire. It is valid until the ownership is transferred

This has come up a few times... Let me caution you however!! Just because its a collector and it can be exempted from registration, you better darn well have PROOF of ownership. I know three guys now that got their wheelers tagged and bagged and tossed into impound until they provided proof of ownership and registration. It says it right in the laws that when asked by a DNR or Law Enforcement Officer that you MUST present proof of ownership. Collector age or not this rule takes over. It all depends on how the cops in your area want to treat it. Down here almost all of the counties like to pick on ATV/ATC riders, and is someone calls the cops and says so and so just buzzed past on a old three wheeler and they stop you and you don't have proof of ownership and they run the VIN and it comes back to a name other than your own, oh boy your in deep doo doo now.. and your going to get a free ride home without your wheeler. Not to mention the fact the last time you wanna find out the custody chain was broken is when your on the side of the road with a cop in your face. All it takes is one previous owner to claim ownership cause they lent it to a buddy years ago and never got it back and your in possession of stolen property. Get it registered!!

You might as well pay the registration and get it into your name with proof that you own it. You don't HAVE to display the plate on a collector, but let me tell you, i have ridden mine around and been stopped at an intersection and another ATV buzzed up next to me, i had a plate, he didn't even though registered, cop comes up and pulls in across the front of us, i asked him if there was a problem, he said not with you, i said well im not with him can i go? And away i went.. LOL The other guy got a ticket for improper display of vehicle registration. So again the cops can get you on it if they choose to!

The way i look at it, spend the money, get it registered, put a plate on it, and ride it without worry. I drive past the cops and they just wave cause they know i'm legit. Down here i can get a city permit as well, mine is registered with the DNR, permitted with the city, and insured. I drive it anywhere i want like a car.

shovelryder
02-28-2013, 01:47 PM
VERY good point!

kb0nly
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
VERY good point!

I know there is a couple ORV parks up north, do they check registration at the gate? Some i have been to wanted to see at least a DNR sticker on the tank, not sure if they require that anymore times have changed. I know back in the early 90's i went to one with a 200X i used to have back then and someone in the park saw me and called in complaining i didn't have a registration sticker, i had just bought it the week prior and only had a bill of sale at that point... LOL

If your worried about the VIN coming back bad go to a local DNR office with the VIN on a sheet of paper, tell them you wanted to check the VIN before making an offer to buy it, they can tell you the name it was last registered in, date it was last registered, etc. If it comes back stolen and you get drilled its better to find out now. Also know that usually they will require a signed bill of sale by the last owner, if its not the last registered owner they might require proof from that person, i have bought trikes that came with 3-4 bills of sale, they just kept collecting a new one and holding onto the last to show chain of custody, no joke!

I have had to call previous owners and ask them if they would sign a bill of sale and mail it or scan and email it to me if too far away to get a trike changed over to a new owner. If you cant track down a previous owner it can become more of a pain unless you have a buddy in a dealership. I paid $75 to a local powersports dealer a couple years ago to take in a trike and put their dealer name on the paperwork to transfer it back to me. There is other ways to do it, brokerage and stuff like that. Small town DMV offices are far less picky than big city ones also, usually if you have a bill of sale they will just go eh whatever as long as it doesn't say stolen and do the paperwork.

Cover yer butt!

Worden18
02-28-2013, 02:23 PM
The cops have seen me riding around town (big Altura is only 450 people ha ha), they don't care. DNR might be a different story. I do need to register my trikes. For less than $10 it's non-expiring. Link:http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/ohv/index.html

I doubt the DNR is out at 11pm when I'm out there, though :D

shovelryder
02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
So MN says reg not rquired.....IF ya dont, whats proof of ownership?????

Worden18
02-28-2013, 03:58 PM
So MN says reg not rquired.....IF ya dont, whats proof of ownership?????

Good point; the perfect catch 22. :twisted:

shovelryder
02-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Ill call them in a bit.........If they say no registration.....then dammit , I shouldnt have to.......I have a few machines.....adds up.

CodyRosa
02-28-2013, 04:23 PM
yea if I dont register it what do i show for proof?

shovelryder
02-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Just off the phone.... With state patrol, DNR headquarters, DNR field enforcement, and wright county Sheriff's dept.......ALL said the same thing! No reg needed! Said they are not concerned about vin or ownership on a machine that old. Unreal. Said if the years on the machine and its 25 or older its free fer all. Lol!!!! now somebody else call!

CodyRosa
02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
So I don't even need proof of ownership? Maybe just a bill of sale?

shovelryder
02-28-2013, 10:33 PM
According to them a bill of sale would be too much. Lol!!! I'd carry it in a ziplock bag.

83 200e
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
"Well heck that isn't to bad at all from L town. Might have to meet up and ride around there! Stating to try and get to titles for my 350 and triz so i can ride without worry" ya we will have to meet up one day and hit the trails

83 200e
02-28-2013, 10:55 PM
ya sounds good 90guy, we will have to meet up one day and hit the trails for a while

kb0nly
03-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Hmm, odd they told you that, the state regs say otherwise, but then it depends on who you talked to. An actual officer? I got three friends in law enforcement here, state patrol, sheriff, and a local pd officer, plus a couple cop friends up north of the cities. I can't believe they would all lie the same about needing proof of ownership...

Anyway, i made a few calls myself to clarify... Just because its a collector ATV doesn't mean you don't need to register it, the DNR booklet and the regs are a bit vague, but if you read into the statutes more you will see its required still and can be acted upon if its not. I'm no attorney, but seems to me they wouldn't put Collector ATV registration in the books if they didnt require it at all.

A new collector atv registration in the state of MN is a $6 fee along with a $8.50 issuing fee, total of $14.50 and its non-expiring and non transferable. Meaning if you sold it the new owner would have to do it again, it doesn't transfer with ownership.

Don't forget also, that in MN you have to complete the ATV safety course and tuck the certificate away with your drivers license. Even if you want to argue the collector ATV aspect remember this, as an operator of a motorized vehicle you still have to present identification and other proofs requested if such happens. If your required to have a safety certificate and don't then your fined for that as well. Us older folks on here don't have to worry, but here is the regs from the book, it says nothing about the status of the ATV itself, collector or otherwise.

ATV Operators— Persons 12-15 years old and anyone born after July 1,
1987 who is 16 years or older must successfully complete ATV Safety Training
before operating an ATV on public lands, frozen waters, public road rights-of-way,
or state or grant-in-aid trails!

All three wheelers are classified as Class 1 by weight category in MN.

All ATVs operated in Minnesota must be registered with the DNR,
including those used exclusively on private property.

Now here is where we muddy the waters a bit...

ATV collector use registration
• ATVs 25 years and older are exempt from registration if they were
originally produced as a separate, identifiable make by a manufacturer.

• ATVs 25 years and older MAY be registered for unlimited use. This
registration is non-transferable.

In that first paragraph it says they are exempt.. HOWEVER, they simply mean they are exempt for collector use, i verified this through many sources. Thats why in the next paragraph they state but you may for unlimited use, meaning regular ATV usage, basically everywhere. The way its written up is deceiving... Think of the word collector, when you think of that word do you think of driving around? Nope, you think collector, i collect three wheelers, i have ten of them in my garage, collector. The state laws say ALL ATV's operated must be registered as i posted above right? Well if you were merely a collector why would you need to register them to ride them? See the confusion here? Unfortunately most people including even some law enforcement misinterprets this regulation.

When they wrote these laws up they wrote in the collector registration because most collectors of things don't operate them, they merely collect and display, but the way the laws were before said basically if it operates it needs to be registered and some were interpreting that as does it run? If so then it operates. So there was a push as there is in the collector car registration to allow an exempted status. In MN you register a collector car and get special plates, you never have to renew the plates and they give you a huge discount on the tabs for the plates every year because its a collector, not a daily driver.

Also know that a valid MN drivers license is required as well unless operating solely on designated trails. You ride anywhere else and your pulled over and asked to present and you don't have your drivers license its the same as driving your car and not having it when you get pulled over. Its all in how the law wants to prosecute, it also depends on how law savvy the officer is that pulls you over! Down here they seem to be on their toes.

Here is the full version of the latest info..

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/ohv/ohv_regs.pdf

Bottom line its only $14.50 to register your collector and avoid any problems. I know you guys are saying they won't or havent, the cops ignore us, and blah blah. Well let me tell you it used to be that way down here, but they have stiffened the regulations and training so the officers know what to look for. Probably because the state needs citations and cash flow... LOL

One buddy of mine got caught driving his 250ES a couple weeks ago playing in the snow, was two miles from home on a country gravel road, random sheriff deputy drove by and stopped to check what he was up to. No registration, no drivers license... Got a ride home and the 250ES was impounded... After it passed a VIN check and he paid the fines, tow, impound fees, and the mere $14.50 registration he was out almost $300 for the whole nightmare. And the funny thing is the deputy told him "if it was registered and i saw the sticker i never would have bothered stopping".... So bottom line, not trying to be a pain or an ass guys, i'm just trying to help you avoid some headaches and spend that cash on fixing up your ATC instead of paying fines!

CodyRosa
03-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Well that sure sucks! haha you're right kbonly.. i'll have to get some collector plates then as I don't plan on trail riding to much. I guess i got lucky, when I got my first 3 wheeler I was driving it on the side of the dirt rode (chain kept popping off so I was going very slow) and out of no where (cops DO NOT drive on dirt rodes ever unless someone actually calls for one lol) a cop drives by.. my heart sank and I thought I was done but he didn't do anything about it.

So for registering, how do I do the atv course? I looked it up once and its just a test on the computer that you pay for right? I shouldn't have to go anywhere? I'm 18 by the way.

kb0nly
03-01-2013, 03:08 AM
You don't get collector plates for the ATV's, just to clear that up, as a matter of fact MN doesn't even supply plates for any ATV's. But when you register as a collector you get a sticker to put on the ATV and another sticker that you peel and fold to form the registration card you keep with you. If you want to you can make a plate, you just buy a kit with a plate and number and letter stickers and make it up, it has to be a specific size and letter size, explained in the regs as well. But as a collector atv you really don't need the plate, just a sticker on there for public use.

As for the safety course its all explained on the MN DNR website and that pamphlet i linked to as well, i know from experience and helping youth classes here for snowmobile and atv safety that its easy. Yes its just a CD, you can call them and have them mail you a CD or pick up one locally if you have an instructor in your area. You run the CD and take the quiz, after which you print out the test result and form, mail it in with $15 and they mail you a certificate.

ATV CD-ROM: Available free of charge by calling the DNR Information Center at (888) 646-6367 or (651) 296-6157, or the Safety Training Office at (800) 366-8917.

Being 18 you definitely fall into the 1987 rule... LOL.. Damn i wish i was that young again!

shovelryder
03-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Exactly why I called so many different places yesterday.....As I could not believe what I was hearing......and was gassing my wifes van last night, asked a county deputy in the parking lot.......He said the same thing. My brothers buddy is the DNR that patrols Spider Lake off road area......He called him last night.......same thing. This all bothers me........BUT.......PER THE MANUAL.........Theres nothing muddy about ATVs 25 yrs and older are exempt from reg..........Now....I love my old ATCs......and I love that it says no reg required.........And I know I can reg if I want.....But dammit.......Im just not giving them my money if theres no need to. Im going to the sherrifs dept, getting VINs verified clean in writing, also the registration exempt statement, and having it all notarized.........I see yer point where it says all atvs must be registered.....But I also read VERY close to that about the 25 and older exempt.......and the 2 hrs I spent on the phone yesterday. I could understand office workers giving me bad info, but three of the people talked to yesterday were field enforcement........Im gonna have to go on principle now.....Actually kinda hope they hassle me.

shovelryder
03-01-2013, 07:07 AM
And now look at this......This is from the monticello motor vehicle dept....

ATV Collector:

•ATV must be 25 years old or older.
•An ATV that is 25 years old or older does not require registration and can be operated where ATV's are allowed.
•A customer can choose to get the ATV collector for $14.50 but they are not required to do so.
•If ATV collector registration is purchased then the customer must display the collector registration number and "9999" expiration decal on a plate that goes on the back of the ATV.

shovelryder
03-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Heres the link.....even cooler is the proof of ownership!!!! A DNR Bill of Sale! I never seen or heard of one of these before.......

http://www.ci.monticello.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B36B03713-BB7B-4FC4-ADCE-97C601D53802%7D

shovelryder
03-01-2013, 08:01 AM
And heres the statute DNR field enforcement sent me.......nothing at all vague about it.First paragraph says all must register unless exempt........exemptions list shows the 25yr or older.........Im gonna challenge them every chance I get......cause I can....LOL!

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=84.922

CodyRosa
03-01-2013, 01:11 PM
a lot of cool info shovelryder. I might call some people up here just to see what they say. I still might get it registered.

shovelryder
03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Lol!!!! Kinda makes ya wonder bout other laws..... Or moving!;)

kb0nly
03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Just goes to show you HAVE to check your local regs. Down here its way different. But then we are one of the few that have a city atv use permit as well, however the way they wrote it up your required to have it registered to get the permit, so its a catch, if you want a permit you have to register it anyway! LOL

I will have to find the county regs down here. Here is our city regs..

6.82.2. "All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV)"-
A motorized flotation-tired vehicle of not less than three low-pressure tires, but not more than six tires, that is limited in engine displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters and total dry weight less than 600 pounds.

6.85. Registration.
No person may operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) anywhere until it has first
been registered with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR)

6.86. Proof of Insurance
Operators of snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles shall carry
liability insurance coverage pursuant to Minnesota Statutes 65.B.48, Subdivision 5.

They don't even have the new ATV permit in the regs yet for the city ordinances, it all got rewritten after the approval but didnt get written in the annual copy yet. It just basically reads that you have to have it registered and insured and provide proof of both to apply for the city permit.