PDA

View Full Version : Add a link to a chain?

CodyRosa
03-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Ok Well I bought a brand new sprocket set, and chain for my auto x. Well to my luck its not long enough and i've had it over a month so I can't return the darn thing. I have a 13 up front and the same size on the back. Before I had a 12. Anyways my swingarm is ALL the way forward and still is about 2 links to short.. so even I switched to 12 in the front I don't thing it would work. I saw a video of how to add links/remove them and it looks quite easy... can you even buy just 1, 2, or even 3 links? Once again this chain is brand new, i'm not adding to a used one.

Thanks

CodyRosa
03-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Oh yea where can I buy these? Or what would I type in on ebay? I was trying 520 chain link but just found master links.

hoosierlogger
03-01-2013, 05:12 PM
IMHO the less master links the better.

dustrunner
03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
tractor supply by me has links and 1/2 links...or your dealer..or buy a smaller rear sprocket...

fabiodriven
03-01-2013, 07:14 PM
It ain't hard. Just find some links locally and use 2 master links. Going down on the tooth size of your rear sprocket isn't a good idea, unless you're looking to increase your top speed.

CodyRosa
03-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Ok so my local hardware shop should have some then? Think I'll pass on the new rear sprocket haha i'm quite happy with my gearing right now. Well thanks guys next time I'm in town I'll check for some new links.

yaegerb
03-01-2013, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't condone adding more than 1 link. You will lose some chain integrity. just sell the one you have and go buy the chain with the proper pin length.

I assume you are putting this on a stock 1st gen 200x? If so, the OEM chain length is 88 pins. Use the chain below and get a chain breaker to fit your larger sprocket.

Chain to buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-I-D-520-V-SERIES-O-RING-CHAIN-92-LINK-/360381307739?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e8665b5b&vxp=mtr

Breaker if you don't have one: http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-chain-breaker-66488.html

fabiodriven
03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Personally, I've never had a chain break on me and I've used multiple master links on the same chain many, many times.

barnett468
03-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Hello

I'm staying away from the mud here and can only offer this fairly useless suggestion. Not all the chain Mfg's use EXACTLY the same diameter or length pin as other mfg's on chains of the same size. Cheap chains typically use smaller pins and thinner plates than good chains so just take your existing master link with you when you shop for links to make sure they will work with your master link pin diameter. If they use a slightly longer pin to fit their slightly wider chain link this is ok for general riding but I wouldn't recommend it.