PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued parts a thing of the past?

fabiodriven
03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I can see this changing our hobby immensely.

http://www.break.com/index/why-3d-printing-is-going-to-kick-ass-2421396

roostin atc
03-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Thats pretty interesting technology.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Wow! I think changing our hobby is just one little snowflake of the proverbial iceberg!

Very cool, but I must admit a little scary too I think....

old-yellow
03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
they had one of those machines when i was in the Anoka technical college down here in Minnesota, i seen it when i was in machine shop there and i watch it make one of those bubble blowing bottles you see at weddings that they pass out for everyone to blow bubbles instead of throwing rice, i watch it make the bottle with threads for the cap then i watched it make the cap with threads in it plus the blowing stick with the loop on it. pretty sweet

hatc200x1
03-06-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-G1-3D-Printer-RepRap-/290865951022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b8f6312e Not to expensive, they need to make it able to use metal and then if you could scan say a left crankcase for a 250r for example just have it print it out :D would be awesome.

Flyingw
03-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Its not that simple Hat. Not with metal that is. plastics in different compounds offer far more versatility in what they can produce. Their accuracy and repeatability has gotten very good with those machines but again, its plastics. There is also Sterolathography or SLA. SLA shoots a laser in to a vat of resin and rising up from the vat is the part. WAY COOL Star Trekky stuff. Cessna is making FAA certified wheel skirts for small aircraft and other minor items with SLA. There is a huge assortment of resins each with their own useful properties. This stuff is very durable and easy to repair. The only downer is its expensive technology and the guy who patiented this still owns all the rights to it. He has more money than God. Trying to manipulate molten metal this way is very difficult to do but with all the space age compounds out there, perhaps theres a synthetic coupound that is as practical and durable as cast aluminum.

Lord Letto 20
03-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Might be useful to make Fenders and Plastic Tanks to Sell, or anything else that's Plastic that got to do with Trikes. Maybe use it to make some 3 Wheeler Toys and Plastic 3 Wheeler Signs or Something.

83 200e
03-06-2013, 09:41 PM
doesnt seem like you can find any older parts anymore, seems like you need to buy some cheap knock off parts or something off of some stupid site

samuraiguys
03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
You can make a plastic model and then use that in turn to make a mold for a sandcasting. Boom new sidecase

hatc200x1
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Its not that simple Hat. Not with metal that is. plastics in different compounds offer far more versatility in what they can produce. Their accuracy and repeatability has gotten very good with those machines but again, its plastics. There is also Sterolathography or SLA. SLA shoots a laser in to a vat of resin and rising up from the vat is the part. WAY COOL Star Trekky stuff. Cessna is making FAA certified wheel skirts for small aircraft and other minor items with SLA. There is a huge assortment of resins each with their own useful properties. This stuff is very durable and easy to repair. The only downer is its expensive technology and the guy who patiented this still owns all the rights to it. He has more money than God. Trying to manipulate molten metal this way is very difficult to do but with all the space age compounds out there, perhaps theres a synthetic coupound that is as practical and durable as cast aluminum. Well I hope eventually they can use metals. I would prefer real metal then synthetic stuff TBH. This technology is pretty cool. It would be nice to make rare oem parts with a machine like this.

falloutboy
03-07-2013, 03:45 AM
pretty cool. the way they were doing it is different then the way I've seen before. http://youtu.be/pQHnMj6dxj4

also, You may be on to something hatc200x1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Px6RSL9Ac&feature=endscreen&NR=1

It doesn't seem very practical for ATV uses, but I'm sure more refinements are being worked in to it so maybe one day it could.

ColtonGG33
03-07-2013, 04:00 AM
thats really cool but it doesnt look like it can make things out of metal?

ColtonGG33
03-07-2013, 04:07 AM
wait, if you pause it at 4.03 you can see looks like metal cabinet handles, anyone else notice that

ChrisD
03-07-2013, 06:28 AM
There are 3D printers that print in plastics, metal, cement, even living tissue. EOS, Objet (now part of Stratasys), 3D are all leaders in the field. Look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zApmGFDA6ow&feature=youtu.be

The applications are endless. Objet can print in multiple materials in the same printing cycle. Soon you could just print a new remote control if you can't find it.

kb0nly
03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I know a guy that has a MakerBot, i have had him print me a few plastic parts, i want one, cant afford it though... LOL