PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Gas Tank!

BeauSaintMusic
03-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, new to the site..

I'm trying to find out the best way of going about getting my gas tank fixed. It's actually in decent condition. There's a leak along the seam by the petcock, as well as extremely small pitting starting to occur. Can I fix this, or am I doomed and have to settle for a plastic one? I am trying to keep original parts. If buying a gas tank were possible I would be all over that, but they're impossible to find.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Beau

kebby28
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Whats the inside of the tank look like? Rusty? The seam could be welded but if its pitted meaning small pinholes? it doesnt really sound like its that decent... What machine is this on?

ebaccm26
03-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Depending how how large the leak is you may be able to stop it by coating the inside of the tank.

BeauSaintMusic
03-06-2013, 11:34 PM
it's on a 87 Big Red 250ES. The inside of the tank is gray. Thanks for the reply.. any suggestions?

yaegerb
03-06-2013, 11:38 PM
gray, like steel gray or gray like it has already been lined with a tank liner chemical like Kreem? If it were me, I would just have it welded up by a pro. Shouldn't cost much.

BeauSaintMusic
03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
ebaccm26,

the only visible pit hole is about the size of a needle tip.

rjs89ia
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
weld it or check out caswell plating epoxy tank sealer. i just coated my plastic tank with it about 3 weeks ago and am very pleased with it.

ebaccm26
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
ebaccm26,

the only visible pit hole is about the size of a needle tip.

I would think coating it could stop the leak if that's the only spot it is leaking, but getting it welded is always a good choice and like yaegerb said it wouldn't cost much to get someone to weld that up real quick. Chances are that you might want to get it welded and still coat it because I would guess there a more deteriorating areas inside.

big red crazy
04-21-2013, 04:54 PM
take it to a radiator shop and have it flushed out and coated with redkote awesome stuff or you can do this yourself

fastatc70
04-22-2013, 09:06 PM
I have a local radiator shop that did a 83 Xmas special tank. They sand blasted and coated the tank with redkote for 50 bucks. That was 8 years ago and the tank is working just fine. I have a filter on the fuel line and it is always clean.

Fink
04-23-2013, 10:24 PM
take and have it sand blasted, then you will know how much damage you have, as for the petcock leak take and have it welded

goump1995
04-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Sand it, bondo, paint it.

falloutboy
04-24-2013, 03:44 AM
bondo does not hold up to moisture- gas, water or otherwise. That would only create another headache.

I would agree with many others. Having it welded may be a good option, however the pin hole means rust may be near by and welding rust is kind of frustrating. My brothers 350x tank had been brazed which held up for a long time but eventually did fail. That could have also been due to the rust expanding.

Also, fyi, A bar of soap can be used as temporary fix to stop pinhole leaks. :D

tvpierce
04-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Why are you resistant to a plastic tank?

Jason125m
04-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Why are you resistant to a plastic tank?

Get it fixed! Not many of these 87 tanks around!

Plastic tanks are ugly!

pipeline triker
04-25-2013, 07:05 PM
I like red kote. Leave the rust on the inside unless it is loose. The liner will grab better to some rust. I have done more tanks than I can count and only had 2 with issues. One was because I could not get an old liner all out and the red coat would not adhear to those spots. And the other just took a second coat of the liner and been good for years. Red Kote or any other tank liner does not like ethanal gas, but you should not be running it anyways, so all should be good.

weedan01
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
I just posted this for someone else.

I ran a radiator shop and we did gas tank repair daily.
Depending on the size of holes, there is a couple options. We use Redcote to line the tanks and it will seal pinholes and seeps. Larger holes needs brazed. Do NOT use Kreme liner, its junk. Meradic acid will clean rust and old gas out. Do NOT line over a past coatings. Do NOT run race gas (Leaded gas). If done correctly, Redcote will last and is a great product.