PDA

View Full Version : Whats the noise?????Vid link

shovelryder
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
I love three wheelers....But could get this 250x really cheap.....Says its got great power still, no smoke, and has been doing this for a loooong time......Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjWnRaGX0Ao

90guy
03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Sounds like some valve chatter and or cam chain is not tight? Maybe do some Adjusting. might quiet it down some.

El Camexican
03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a well-worn air cooled Honda. We tend to forget that liquid cooled heads muffle a lot of scary sounds. Worst case scenario you have to adjust the valves, or cam chain. Buy it!

fabiodriven
03-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Sounds like a well-worn air cooled Honda. We tend to forget that liquid cooled heads muffle a lot of scary sounds. Worst case scenario you have to adjust the valves, or cam chain. Buy it!

Worst case scenario? I don't think so.

It very well could be just a valve or timing chain adjustment, which is very easy. Worse than that would be a timing chain replacement, and far worse than that, the dreaded worn-out cam bushings (Which aren't actually bushings. The surface the cam rides on is a piece of the cylinder head and non serviceable, at least not cheaply.)

Lord Letto 20
03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
when I seen 250x, I thought of this for some reason: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/154190-Some-people-these-days...

El Camexican
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Worst case scenario? I don't think so.

It very well could be just a valve or timing chain adjustment, which is very easy. Worse than that would be a timing chain replacement, and far worse than that, the dreaded worn-out cam bushings (Which aren't actually bushings. The surface the cam rides on is a piece of the cylinder head and non serviceable, at least not cheaply.)

You think it could be that bad? My last ride group included a 250 and 400 Honda and they both sounded like that.

fabiodriven
03-07-2013, 06:02 PM
That's what happened to my 84 200X.

El Camexican
03-07-2013, 06:41 PM
That's what happened to my 84 200X.

The cam bore surface? Do they have an oiling/engineering issue, or does it take a plugged filter or other preventable mishap to score them?

atc007
03-07-2013, 06:41 PM
School time ,,,,lol. 250x actually does have bearings on the cam. This particular bike needs a timing chain. You can actually hear it slapping when he's up close the 1st time. That and a valve adjustment and she'll be whisper smooth :)

atc007
03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
The cam bore surface? Do they have an oiling/engineering issue, or does it take a plugged filter or other preventable mishap to score them?

On the 200X's the oil is actually pumped up the cylinder stud. That coupled with the HORRIFIC oil "strainer system" means a low oil 200 Honda has immediate top end problems. I've seen them melted down to almost nothing and end up cutting the piston off,and pressing the piston pin out of the rod. Then dremmeling. They are a mess.

kebby28
03-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I have a half dozen 200 heads with oblonged cam journals. Its hard to believe they didn't put bearings in them. I finally learned to pull the little rubber nipple out and poke and blow the oil hole out. I ruined a $180 head last fall that was pristine when I bought it. 4 hours of riding and it was smoked. The oil strainer was clogged with pieces of gasket that I think was in the lower end I bought off a young kid.... :/