PDA

View Full Version : 1987 ATC 250sx find!!!

Oakley101
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I picked up this 1987 Honda at 250 sx. Not very good condition. Seat is ripped up and the front plastic fender is gone. And the killswitch doesn't work. Runs amazing though. Any body have any information I should know about this machine? Thanks

KI4UJO
03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Well first off, welcome to 3WW! Second, you have an 87, which is neat in itself. Others can tell you more about it, but for the kill switch just start tracing wires.

dustrunner
03-07-2013, 08:36 PM
you dont want to mess with that thing....sell it 2 me....

trike savior
03-07-2013, 08:53 PM
think he means the switch does not move. take apart the housing and you can clean the switch parts and make it work, otherwise as he says check the wiring. KBonly has on his profile or google search "oscar mayer atc" for free service manual.

i alway tell people who have untouched engines to check timing chain. it was hondas first try at self adjusting timing chain and it does not move very far. ran across many motors that died because timing chain was loose and it jumped teeth ruining valves and pistons

also check bearings in rear end. good idea to replace especially if you plan on restoring or riding far from home. bearings in each end of axle tube and 4 in the differential. 2 for pinion and 2 for ring gear. i always remove rear end and check pinion because they can work but if the pinion has slop side to side its only a matter of time before it leaves you stranded

other than that stout bikes. lots of power throughout rpm range and comfortable to ride.

tri again
03-08-2013, 02:43 AM
save it, run it, change all the fluids twice
don't forget the rear axle gear oil and download a:

service manual

They're getting harder to find by the day.

Let people make fun of how it looks.

You say it runs great!
That's all you really need.
Dream machines, for sure.

JasonB
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
congrats man! Love the one in my garage ;)

the SX is a great bike, comfy and capable. X2 on the differential inspections mentioned above, other wise if she doesnt smoke than throw a new front fender on and enjoy. Throw some pics up when you get a chance too!

Floatininmi
05-28-2014, 10:44 PM
How much is a 1987 honda 250sx worth I'm trying to buy one it runs strong but it has broken plastics and it messed up shifting last time he drove it, I'm wondering what could be the problem and how much should i pay he wants 400$ is it a good deal?

P.S how do you start a new thread, I'm new here and don't know how to

UPNATM
05-29-2014, 02:03 AM
On the top of the new members page, to the left you will see "post new thread". Click on it, and away you go.
As far as the SX you are interested in, make sure to post up some pics. That's the way to get the most accurate responses to what it's worth.