PDA

View Full Version : Different view on "gun control"

jeswinehart
03-07-2013, 07:54 PM
When the talk about gun control got the spot light again after recent school shootings and other assorted related stupidity the term gun control became much more defined for me and so as to not start a debate about that I wanted to pass along a copy of a e-mail sent to me by my boss, the owner of the company I work for.

AMERICA'S civilian army--Pretty Amazing!

The world's largest army... America 's hunters!
I had never thought about
This...
hunter
A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a
Handful of states and
Arrived at a striking
Conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters
This season in the state of Wisconsin ..
Allow me to restate that number:

Over the last several months,
Wisconsin's hunters became the eighth largest army in
The world.

More men under arms than in Iran ..

More than France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to
The woods of a single American state, Wisconsin , to hunt with
Firearms, and no one was killed.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and
Michigan's 700,000 hunters,
All of whom have now returned home safely.
Toss in a quarter million hunters
In West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the
Hunters of those four states alone
Would comprise the largest army in the world.
And then add in the total number of hunters in the other 46 states.
It's millions more.

The point?

America will forever be safe
From foreign invasion with that
Kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting...
it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national
Security.

That's why all enemies,
Foreign and domestic,
Want to see us
Disarmed.

Food for thought,
When next we consider gun control.

Overall it's true,
So if we disregard some assumptions that hunters
Don't possess the same skills as soldiers, the question
Would still remain...
What army of 2 million would want to face 30, 40, 50 million armed citizens???

sledcrazyinCT
03-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Got the same email you better believe that is why many countries want us to accept the UN small arms treaty

Howdy
03-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Never thought of it that way. John, if you got that email yet please forward it to me. I want to send it to a list of people. ;)
Thanks
Howdy

Scootertrash
03-08-2013, 08:18 AM
I've gotten this one before too. The only problem is this statement:
The woods of a single American state, Wisconsin , to hunt with
Firearms, and no one was killed.

That statement should be eliminated from the email, since 3 hunters were killed last year on opening weekend of deer hunting in Wisconsin:

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/outdoors/3-hunters-killed-in-opening-weekend-of-2012-gun-deer-hunt

The sad fact is, every state has hunting deaths. But when you look at the number of hunters vs the number of accidents, it's a very small percentage. 99.9 percent of the accidents are caused by not following the four rules of firearm handling.

When we pass these emails and info around, we need to make sure that they are truthful and accurate. The anti-gun crowd will use any missteps we make against us. We need to be credible. ;) Especially when we make them look uninformed/misinformed or just plain using false statistics.

WisconsinJohn
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I was going to say the same thing, I know of 3 deaths here.

Mosh
03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
According to the fish and wildlife numbers from 2011, there were just under 15 million registered hunting permits issued in the US. Now they don't specifically state the number breakdown of Bow hunting vs. firearms,vs turkey,fish, duck, deer, etc, but that number seems realistic. If there were 40 million, I would suspect we would not have a deer overpopulation issue.
Also one should take into account that many states are probably not real good for hunting in general due to lack of land or geological issues that do not promote a large game population. So one would make the assumption that certain states would be more of a defendable stronghold vs states with rediculous gun control policies like NJ and so on and that concentrated amounts of gun owners would populate some states more than others.
But not also to be discounted is how many poachers are there? or people that do not subdue themselves to political policies, such as large private land owners that do their own processing, and ethnic communities like the Amish.
Regardless, there are way more people that own weapons and hunt than people know of or register. What is more concerning is that the US DEPT of homeland security, ordered 1.6 Billion rounds of ammo for the Homeland defense admin. Which means 5 rounds for every man women and child in the US..Why does the Social security admin, need hollow point rounds,when any rounds of that nature are considered illegal under NATO war rules?
Even more concerning than that is the ammunition shortage currently scheduled to continue for another 9 months, even for private reloaders, that can not get supplies to even reload.
15-40 million guns are useless without loads.

sledcrazyinCT
03-08-2013, 12:02 PM
What is more concerning is that the US DEPT of homeland security, ordered 1.6 Billion rounds of ammo for the Homeland defense admin. Which means 5 rounds for every man women and child in the US..Why does the Social security admin, need hollow point rounds,when any rounds of that nature are considered illegal under NATO war rules?
Even more concerning than that is the ammunition shortage currently scheduled to continue for another 9 months, even for private reloaders, that can not get supplies to even reload.
15-40 million guns are useless without loads.

That was a strategy of the anti gun folks - make the raw materials for reloading and new primers hard to obtain or outright illegal to possess, then your gun is just a useless decoration or a club to defend yourself

RIDE-RED 250r
03-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Well, you guys pretty much covered the bases! :beer

I would bet more hunters are injured/killed falling out of treestands nationwide than by firearm....I seem to remember reading in my NY hunting rulebook that you get each year with a license purchase that very statement..

Texas gentlemen... Texas. Thats where I'm uprooting my family and moving if this garbage UN-safe act in NY isn't defeated. They have already drafted another bill for their next step... MANDATORY $1m liability insurance for ALL firearms owners to the tune of approxomately 2g a year! Which of course, is a back door means of registration and another financial barrier put up to hinder firearms ownership.... I'LL BE GONE AS A WILD GOOSE IN WINTER if that goes through! I refuse to live and raise my family under this tyranny that has infested my state.

tapper190
03-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Wow, that is a lot of armed people! I just went threw a gun coarse to own guns. The coarse cost me $220, the goverment now wants $80 every three years. That just allows me to shoot restricted firearms at a gun range, no where else (yearly membership of $230, insurance included). I am allow to have non restricted firearms, which I can target shoot on private property or optain my hunting license. At least we do not have to register our non restrictive firearms anymore, just our restrictive.

DasUberKraut
03-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Good reading material. I honestly didn't think about it that way. There are a lot of hunters out there.