PDA

View Full Version : Pull rope help

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 05:27 AM
My pull rope on my 225dx has been acting up lately, string keeps breaking won't wind up right and it just getting so annoying, my question is why isn't it winding up right? I did it before and it worked really good thenthe string snapped on me, and I put a shoe lace on it for now, it does work with the show lace but hangs out over 2 feet. And what it the most heavy duty-best rope to use?
I bought some push mower pull rope and handle, the rope worked for about a week then snapped. Any help will be very much appreciated
Thanks Colton

samuraiguys
03-08-2013, 05:30 AM
I know our local cycle shop will install a new rope for around $20.00 Id check with a local shop if you have one close by and just have them put a genuine rope in it and be done with it... It could have dirt or a sharp edge in it somewhere

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Also I'm missing a part and I'm not sure if it's really important here's a link. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/All%20Terrain%20Vehicle/1983/YTM225DXK/STARTER/parts.html I'm missing that little spring #5 on the diagram. It does still work without it but I'm not sure if it will make it work better.

samuraiguys
03-08-2013, 05:35 AM
That little spring is needed. It kicks back the arm that comes out when you pull the rope. Its what catches the side to turn the assembly. Its probably making a clankin noise when its running isnt it

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 05:36 AM
One more thing is the drum where the ripe wraps around has been worn out thru the other side, but I can't seem to find one anywhere

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Yes it is making a little clicking noise, so that's what that is

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 05:43 AM
Man, the more I think about this the more it's making me mad lol. I think I'm gonna just have to buy a battery and screw that recoil lol

samuraiguys
03-08-2013, 05:43 AM
I bet someone on here has a pull start assembly they would sell you or check ebay.

samuraiguys
03-08-2013, 05:44 AM
Id buy a battery for sure. Hell with pulling when you can hit a button

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 05:50 AM
I know, I have no clue why I never got a battery? I might buy one tomorrow :)

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 05:55 AM
They have these batteries on eBay for 44 bucks and they come pre filled and charged, now that's my kind of battery :lol:

trike savior
03-08-2013, 10:01 AM
battery is easiest way to go. for future refrence. one of the guys on here suggested using steel cable for pull start rope. i recently tried it and like it alot. works really well. only need to use the 1/8" stuff and you can put more on to keep yourself from hitting end of rope which causes most breaks.

also for future refrence. all parts are important. the manufacturers save money any way they can so every part is there for a reason. next time you know you are missing something just get it.

83 200e
03-08-2013, 10:05 AM
ya its the spring thats probably making it hang up, get a new assembly or get a battery, you can get them pretty cheap

briano
03-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Wow!!! You have to ask what's wrong with your pull rope. You say there are parts missing and worn threw, and you have a shoelace for a rope. I can only guess what's wrong, Operator Error.

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Wow!!! You have to ask what's wrong with your pull rope. You say there are parts missing and worn threw, and you have a shoelace for a rope. I can only guess what's wrong, Operator Error.

Well I have rig it up because funds are tight and I can't go buy a 60 sheave for the recoil, I can probably buy that spring. I was using a regular pull rope but It kept snapping, and the shoe laces actually hold up really good.

muthey
03-08-2013, 09:42 PM
here's some help for your pull start this one is off of a ytm 200k, but other than the decompression system in the bottom it is the same as the dx, and will work on a dx, or dr. Make note of one point I say in it about greasing the rope after putting it in, this trick will give your rope a longer life span by far and reducing wear on the housing, also I point out areas of where to grease , so your pull is easier, and I describe how tight to go with the tightening nut. If you want I can do a complete tear down of a dx/dr pull start to show you on your exact housing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhtlWumtlI
On a side not I actually used the pull start in the video for quite awhile on my 200k project trike with no problems till I got a great deal on a 225 pull start and then sold the 200 one for cheap.

ColtonGG33
03-08-2013, 11:37 PM
thanks for the info muthey, i never thought about greasing it up. i was just riding my dx a couple mins ago and for some reason the 3 out of 6 bolts decided to fall out (the ones that hold the recoil), i was so MAD! lol but i still had the other bolts in it, but how did they just fall out? everytime i mess with the recoil i make sure them bolts are tight as they can go. and my shoelace string broke, the throttle stuck on me and made me go straight back and i tried to put it in neutral but i couldnt and it stalled and then i was polling on the string (normally) to get it started and the string broke :( next time i go into town im getting some things to fix it

muthey
03-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Just remember those screws are metric, and maybe buy some med grade thread locker so it they can come out but not fall out I would also check that the threads aren't toast when you put the new screws in. did your old screws have the lock washers on them, cause you will want them on the new screws.

ColtonGG33
03-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Hi muthey they were brand new only a couple days old. I guess I should have put those lock washers on them, and the new ones were metric. Thanks for the tips will use them. Also I'm pretty sure the threads are good ill have to look at then tomorrow extra good.

ColtonGG33
03-09-2013, 04:53 AM
I don't know about that lock tight tho, because for some reason my strings are always breaking an have to keep taking it off to put new string in, tomorrow I'm gonna get my grease gun out and grease that string too

muthey
03-10-2013, 11:05 AM
medium grade locktight is actually pretty easy to get screws out with, but would help keep them in there, but if you weren't using the lock washer use them instead.

mooseknuckle
03-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I would get the battery, and fix up that recoil. Always nice to have a backup! Sonds like its also time to clean up the carb a lube the throttle cable. Good luck!