PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Trikers, Please Read: Motor Tricycles on MTO Site

Lord Letto 20
03-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Just stumbled upon this on the MTO Website, I Don't know how long it was up there but I thought I would share incase it's something new and you guys didn't know about it: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/index.shtml#tricycles

Motor Tricycles

Motor tricycles can be operated on roads in Ontario.

Motor tricycles are eligible for registration as motorcycles for on-road use in Ontario. Typically, these three-wheeled motorcycles were designed with a single front wheel and two rear wheels.
Motor tricycles with two front wheels have emerged on the market. These can be registered for on-road use as motorcycles in Ontario if they meet all of the (federal) Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards contained in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) for a motor tricycle. Motor tricycles must also meet Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act (HTA) definition of a “motorcycle”, and all related legislative and regulatory safety standards and requirements for motorcycles.
The MVSA defines a motor tricycle as a motorcycle that:

is designed to travel on three wheels in contact with the ground,
has seating on which all occupants must sit astride,
has no more than four designated seating positions,
has a GVWR of 1,000 kg or less; and
does not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and passenger, other than that part of the vehicle forward of the driver's torso and the seat backrest.
The HTA defines a motorcycle as a self-propelled vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the driver and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. This definition includes a motor scooter, but does not include a motor-assisted bicycle. The HTA also specifies requirements and standards for braking, lighting, safety inspections, etc.
A driver of a motor tricycle is required to hold a M-class licence and must wear an approved motorcycle helmet. A driver that chooses to complete their M1 or M2 exit road test on a motor tricycle --- and that includes a motorcycle with a sidecar --- will be issued an M licence with a restriction to operate motor tricycles only upon successful test completion. The endorsement will appear as Condition “M” on the front of the licence card and “Restricted Motorcycle” category on the back of the licence card. NOTE: Anyone with this endorsement is not authorized to operate a two-wheeled motorcycle.
An example of a motor tricycle that has two front wheels and one back wheel and can be registered as a motorcycle is the Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) Can-Am Spyder Roadster.
The Piaggio MP3, because of the close spacing of its front wheels, is considered to be a two-wheeled open motorcycle by Transport Canada. It can be registered as a motorcycle. Anyone taking his/her road test on the Piaggio MP3, will receive an unrestricted M class licence.

FAQ: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/motortricycles_faq.shtml some things in the FAQ That caught my Eye:

2. How are motor tricycles registered in Ontario?

Motor tricycles have long been eligible for registration as motorcycles for on-road use in Ontario.
To be eligible for registration, your motor tricycle must meet:
The MVSA definition for a motor tricycle;
Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act (HTA) definition of “motorcycle”; and
Applicable Highway Traffic Act (HTA) legislative and regulatory safety standards and requirements for motorcycles.

5. Are motor tricycles a new class of motorcycle?

No. Conventional motor tricycles (one wheel in front, two in back) have been around for a long time.
New designs are making their way into the market, such as motor tricycles with two wheels in the front and one in the back.

6.Are there different wheel configurations of motor tricycles?

A motor tricycle may have either have:
one front wheel and two rear wheels, or
two front wheels and one rear wheel, or
be a two-wheeled motorcycle with a sidecar.

13. Can I build, or convert a vehicle to, a motor tricycle that has one wheel in the front and two wheels in the back?

Motor tricycles that have two-rear wheels and one front wheel have been homemade/converted and registered in Ontario in the past.
Motor tricycles with this wheel configuration have been, and may continue to be, registered in Ontario. However, additional equipment/restrictions may apply in order to register them. For example, such motor tricycles:
cannot have a split-service brake system unless originally manufactured, and maintained to federal standards, as such;
cannot have more than two seating positions unless the motor tricycle was originally manufactured with more than two seating positions and bear a manufacturer’s label indicating compliance with federal regulations;
must have at least two mirrors that meet federal regulations;
must have two forward facing white or amber parking lamps or reflectors and two rear facing red reflectors;
must have a properly working parking brake; and
cannot have any of the original brake system’s controls removed, modified, or replaced.

14.Why are you treating homemade/converted motor tricycles with two-rear wheels differently than those with two-front wheels?

The Ministry has some safety concerns with homemade/converted motor tricycles, as they are not required to meet the same federal vehicle regulations that apply to originally manufactured motor tricycles.
For example, federal standards such as vehicle stability are not required of homemade/converted motor tricycles.
The Ministry does recognize that an aftermarket already exists for homemade/converted motor tricycles with two-rear wheels, and that such vehicles have been registered for use in Ontario.
MTO is unaware of any such aftermarket for two-front wheel designed motor tricycles. Prohibiting the registration of homemade/converted motor tricycles with two-front wheel designs will prevent safety concerns from expanding beyond the current situation

15.Why are you now requiring additional equipment to register homemade/converted motor tricycles with two-rear wheels? You didn’t require this a few years ago?

The Ministry does have some safety concerns with homemade/converted motor tricycles, as they are not required to meet the same federal vehicle regulations that apply to originally manufactured motor tricycles.
For example, under federal regulations, originally manufactured motor tricycles are required to have front lamps similar to passenger cars; however, there are no additional rear-facing lamp requirements compared to other types of motorcycles. In addition, these federal lighting requirements do not apply to homemade/converted motor tricycles.
Motor tricycles, regardless of wheel configuration, can be as wide as, if not wider than, some passenger cars. As a result, MTO has some concern for the safety of other road users, who may be unable to perceive the true width of the motor tricycle if only one front and rear lamp are required.
Rather than requiring two forward- and rear-facing lamps placed as far apart as possible to indicate width -- a potentially expensive retrofit for owners -- MTO is simply requiring the addition of either two forward-facing parking lamps/reflectors and two rear-facing reflectors, which are relatively inexpensive to add if the motor tricycle is not already equipped with these.

18. What do I need to drive a motor tricycle?

A driver of a motor tricycle must be at least 16 years old and have a valid M1, M2, or, an M2 or M licence with an M condition. The M condition is added to your licence if you pass the Level One or Level Two road test using a three-wheeled motorcycle. The M condition means you are licensed to drive a three-wheeled motorcycle only.
Anyone with an “M condition” specific to three-wheeled motorcycles is not authorized to operate a two-wheeled motorcycle.
The vehicle must be insured, registered and have a valid licence plate. The operator must wear an approved motorcycle helmet.

Enjoy, And Discuss.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Just a hunch here, but I would infer that this does not apply to our 3 wheeled ATV's as they have a solid/non-differential rear axle.

I'm about 99% sure this is why the industry gets the stamp of approval to manufacture and sell Harley Trikes and other on-road type trikes.

I would wager that if you look closer at the "Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act (HTA) definition of a “motorcycle”, and all related legislative and regulatory safety standards and requirements for motorcycles" you would probably find some requirement of differential action on the rear axle on a trike with the 1 wheel up fron and 2 wheels in rear configuration..

coolpool
03-10-2013, 12:55 PM
^^ IDK Ride Red. I get what you're saying but I think the only stoppage would be trying to find DOT approved tires for it as long as the other rules are followed. I've been through a few Safety Inspections on vehicles in ON back in the day and I've never had them ask me if my rear diff was stock or full time posi (welded spider gears). I think Lord should try out this theory and licence a trike for the road.

Jason125m
03-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I will definitely be investigating it. But it seems to good to be true. Will update this thread as I go..

RIDE-RED 250r
03-10-2013, 03:09 PM
I get ya Coolpool....

I have long wondered how streetbike manufacturers can build and sell on-highway trikes nowadays after the big off-highway trike witch-hunt years ago....

Personally, I hate riding my trikes on pavement so I haven't put alot of thought into it.. ;)

Kintore
03-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Can am spyders and the like im assuming. But it sure would be nice to ride my 250r to work. There are loopholes out there, around one of my buddys in PA there are street legal quads with DOT tires on them. Grandfathered through the years, does not transfer if they sell though.

BUT my 450 conversion is just that, it is a custom made non production unit. Custom tricycle!

Xhumeka
03-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Wow, it sure looks like they have changed the wording recently in favour of us registering "homemade/converted motor tricycles" by adding the required lights etc! I really think a few of us should try and register a trike as a "converted motor tricycle" and see where we end up from there! It would be hilarious if this allows us to register trikes as road worthy - imagine all the 4 wheel guys jealousy as we ride through town with the Police's blessing :)

I would definitely ride my banshee less!

Xhumeka
03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
OK - just got back from my local (and very friendly/helpful) MTO/DMV station. At first they told me all I needed was an affidavit swearing that I had made the appropriate changes necessary to convert to on-road, proof of insurance, and a safety certificate.

I was a little dubious that it would be THAT easy, so I proceeded to hand over my ownership and ask that she enter my VIN to verify I wouldn't have a problem if I went through the effort to do this. She then called head office with my VIN, and they said I would require a letter from Honda saying my trike was manufactured for use on-road.

I told her that won't happen, because it WASN'T manufactured for on-road, it was off-road only - but as per Lord Letto's links below I pointed her to this paragraph:

Can I build, or convert a vehicle to, a motor tricycle that has one wheel in the front and two wheels in the back?

Motor tricycles that have two-rear wheels and one front wheel have been homemade/converted and registered in Ontario in the past.
Motor tricycles with this wheel configuration have been, and may continue to be, registered in Ontario. However, additional equipment/restrictions may apply in order to register them

She brought this up with head office, but they seemed to stand firm that if the trike came from the factory designated as off-road only, you CANNOT modify it for on-road use.

She agreed with me that this contradicted what was posted on the website, but she said head office has final call. I told her it seems very counter-intuitive that I could "build my own" and have it licensed for the road, but I can't take an already existing FACTORY ASSEMBLED trike and simply make the conversion.

I then changed course and asked her what is needed to build your own "custom 3 wheeled motorcycle". This she answered exactly the same as when I first asked about a conversion - for a custom 3 wheeled motorcycle you need an affidavit listing the "major components" used to build the custom trike and stating that you added the required components to ensure it was road legal (mention the lights, the reflectors, the horn, the DOT legal tires, etc). You also need a safety certificate and proof of insurance.

I asked her how a VIN is assigned to a "custom built trike" and she said depending on the components you use you might be able to use an existing VIN number, off the engine for example. I told her that most off-road trike frames have the VIN stamped into the frame, and asked if that could be used - she said probably and added that a new VIN number could also be created and assigned (similar to a custom built trailer), but I'm not sure if you do get a new VIN how you are supposed to stamp that into your trike (or if it's even required).

I again re-iterated how silly it was that a "home built trike" can be registered for the road, but not one assembled from the factory. I told her I plan to strip my trike to the frame, combine parts from various machines that I have, and come up with a trike that meets the requirements, and she confirmed that was all that is needed. I'm still a little worried that if I use my existing frame registered as "off-road" that they'll give me a hard time, but as long as I say it's a custom-built one and use a few parts from different trikes, I think I'm safe.

I'm definitely going to try this though... it would be so much fun riding my 250sx to the grocery store in Toronto ;)

I'm not sure, but a major road-block MAY be getting insurance for the road. For this, a custom-built machine will likely be easier to insure than one that shows as "off-road-only", but maybe not. I think anyone interested in this should definitely contact their insurance company to confirm they can actually get insurance, otherwise you'll never be legal even if your trike is!

Xhumeka
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
I called around to a few insurance companies, and this WILL be the major hurdle. Any "home built" trike is classified as a high risk vehicle, and even the "high risk" insurance providers may not insure a "home built trike".

My advice is to sort out insurance before you even consider trying to re-register your trike as road-legal.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Well, the VIN issue is easy.. All you need is a grinder and a stamp set to stamp the new DMV issued VIN on the frame.

But the insurance thing might be cost prohibitive...

I have no issue insuring my 3 and 4 wheeled ATV's here. It only costs me about $85 per year for NYS minimum required liability for 2 z400's, a 250r and an lt230.

I would infer that it would be a little more expensive if my ATV's were used primarily on paved roads though....