PDA

View Full Version : Costa Concordia!!??

Dirtcrasher
03-10-2013, 10:53 PM
If anyone knows what I'm talking about; Why can't they weld on patches, drain the water and tow the prick home?

Am I just not educated enough or is that a stupid solution.

Seems they are doing allot of work for nothing. Excuse me, Millions.

I'll laugh my arse off if all the geniuses engineers fail.....

RoscoW
03-10-2013, 10:56 PM
i thought the same thing when I heard what the plans are:crazy::crazy:

Flyingw
03-10-2013, 11:14 PM
The problem is its a friggin big boat. Its laying on its side full of water in shallow water. They are constructing and attaching giant sponsons to the high side of the side of the boat. Then they will fill the high side sponsons with water and roll the boat upright. Once upright, they will attach sponsons to the other side. The high side sponson will be drained and together they will float the boat high enough to drag it off the shelf back in to deep water where it will be towed to a dock to be scrapped.

Dirtcrasher
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
^You sir are well versed in these types of undertakings; I saw the jet stanchion design you posted.

I just figure it made it to shallow water so wait for a full moon, high tide and have at it!!

Flyingw
03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
The challenge is these boats have stabilization control and are driven and steered by giant electrical POD motors. Since the boat is dead, they have to keep the boat from rolling over in deep water so once they drag it off the shelf and in to deep water, they will partiall fill the sponsons with water to pull it down in to the water to stabilize it. Like I said, its a big ass boat and its tall.

atc007
03-11-2013, 07:50 AM
It is Bar none. Another huge spectacle of what asses we humans can be, and the amount of waste we can create. In TIME, MONEY,and our Earths recourses. Just an absolute sickening,disgusting mess. And all for what? Could have had anything still valuable stripped,and salvaged 3 times by now. Completely Ridiculous !!

Flyingw
03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I would have thought that it would be salvageable but the engineers condemned it so its going to scrap. At least they arent going to scuttle it sending it to the bottom so the boat will be recycled. It is afterall full of all kinds of hazmat materials so by towing it to a dock where all these materials can be removed and the resources recycled then I guess its not all bad news.