PDA

View Full Version : ridgid cordless tools??

aldochina
03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Just wanted to get some feedback from anyone that uses the ridgid line. I just dropped a few bills on a ridged combo kit. I have heard good things about the warranty. Anyone ever have to use it? hassle free? I have used most line of cordless tools, but not ridgid. My cheapie ryobi 18v kit served me well for years, but the batteries finally crapped out. I figure I can score some cheap batteries sometime off ebay or something, so I can still use the stuff! Damn flashlight was about the handiest thing in the kit!!

wheelsforheels
03-13-2013, 02:23 PM
My combo kit is about 7 years old. 18 volt, non lithium ion. It has been a great set. The only problem I've had is with the screw gun. The switch shorted out on it and before I had realized what was going on I had shorted out all three batteries. Ughh! Luckily it was still under warranty and I was able to have it fixed. Everything was covered. I didn't mail it, I live close enough to Rochchester(75 miles), I decided to drive it there. Two and a 1/2 weeks later and another round trip, I had everything fixed. In defense of the brand, I was installing a shat load of screws on my new metal roof at the time and it was hotter than the hinges of he!!. Its possible that the sweat pouring off of me was running into the screw gun.

If I would of bought my kit one week earlier, I would of got the free impact driver with the deal.(headslap... them things are awesome) The only thing that seemed amiss after the warranty work was the ratcheting jaw lock seems to work itself loose every so often. I have used my kit hard in the past and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Used it commercially for awhile, but got out of the construction line of work.

Dirtcrasher
03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
I bought the 400$ 24V L Ion battery set with a drill, flashlite, sawzall and small circular saw.

When used daily, they are great. Now that I barely use them, the batteries are junk; And about 90$ a battery.

Honestly, that set nearly snapped my wrist, they have allot of torque.

I should probably give all the tools to you because they work fine if that is in fact the same kit.

aldochina
03-13-2013, 04:16 PM
mine is just the 18v drill and the 18v impact driver with 2 batteries and charger. Did you not register yours for the lifetime warranty DC??

atc007
03-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't have them. But my Dad Loved Ridgid. Was always good stuff.

jeswinehart
03-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Great tools. But I sure hope you do not need their warranty. Believe me I will NOT ever buy any more of their tools for my personal use simply because of the "life time battery warranty" + the way I was treated.
Rory, I am having a hard time understanding that after you bought,,, you are asking quistions. IMO you should have asked first, purchased later (maybe you might have went another brand ?)

Dirtcrasher
03-14-2013, 03:37 PM
It's funny. They had a life time warranty EVEN BATTERIES!!

3 other guys in the shop got them at home depot and they would bring in the whole bag with all tools; Always having battery issues.

Fast forward to about another year and they no longer warrantied batteries.

Keep them indoors and out of the cold; And keep them charged and drain them fully here and there.

I now have a Dewalt set and one battery is already dead hammer hammer :mad::mad:

Xhumeka
03-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I was really kicking myself for not registering for the lifetime warranty when my Ridgid battery died - but are you saying DC that they no longer offer warranty replacement for batteries? Even if you signed up for the lifetime warranty before this change took effect?

Angore
03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
I don't own any , but my good friend Lou bought a combo kit several years ago & he's still using the original batteries ! I wish I had that kind of luck with batteries LOL .
I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Woodsrider
03-16-2013, 05:25 PM
I bought a combo kit (18V Ni-Cad) back in 05. I used them for work (renos) for years. Was always REALLY pleased dealing with the local shop that did their warranty work...he even did work on tools that I hadn't registered for lifetime warranty( I bought almost every additional tool to add to my kit over the years). In total, I ended up with 3 18V ni-cad batteries which were all replaced for free sometime around 09, and two of those still work great. I had two of the first 18V lithium-ion batteries, and was very disappointed with them, and they only really worked well in the impact driver. I bought a 24V hammer drill with 2 batteries, and was never really impressed with those batteries either, although they made a big difference in cutting speed in my jig saw and recip saw when compared to an 18V battery ( they were dual voltage units). It didn't take very long for the lithium-ion batteries to start irritating me, and within a few years, they were useless...nothing like their ni-cad batteries. I recently bought a small job site radio that came with the new version of the 18V lithium-ion, and it really doesn't seem to want to hold a charge for very many days when not in use. The only part failures I ever had with any of hese tools were the triggers, but I used these a LOT....so I had 5 triggers fail and several sets of brushes, which I consider to be normal for the amount I used them, and these were only on drills and an impact driver.
I was waiting for Dewalt to change the design for how their batteries clip into their tools, which they did with their 20V tools, so I've switched over. I currently have the heavy duty hammer drill, impact driver, circular saw, and jig saw, and I totally prefer the Dewalt tools to the Ridgid tools, the way I use them on a daily basis...just my opinion.

The lithium-ion batteries made by Ridgid are of poor quality , in my experience.....tools are great though.

hondawasaki
03-16-2013, 05:25 PM
I use the 18vLi Makita impact at a industrial level, cannot believe how much punishment it has endured. The batteries are over 4 years old now, and still kicking. I was a loyal Dewalt user befort that, but couldn't keep the chargers working. after the third charger, I jumped ship. There is a guy in my shop that uses the Ridgid, he's been pretty happy, but also hasn't had to warranty anything (apparently luckily)